The book you re-read the most

The book you re-read the most.

Attached: 484.jpg (935x1201, 97K)

is this book actually any good or is it just a meme you guys like to post all the time

its a meme but a good meme

It's absolutely good, but it's also a love it or hate it book.

Invisible Cities

It's both a meme and a great book. But you should read V. first.

I will download a kindle sample and decide if I want to buy the book.

Attached: A lit Guide to Pynchon.jpg (1222x3649, 1.52M)

>the whole rocketman thing
I had never farted so much in my life

same

>But you should read V. first.

I've read GR twice and can't read past 20 pages of V. I'll reread GR again this summer and probably never touch V.

Fight me.

Attached: 2469950.jpg (521x600, 109K)

It's ok to be a pleb, as long as you are cognisant of the fact.

Pleb for not liking what is most likely an imperfectly strung together series of short stories?

>20 pages

sure

V is better. Try it again.

but GR is literally V-2, you should read V

>V-2

heh

Attached: 220px-Illuminatus1sted.jpg (220x326, 22K)

are you brazilian?
can you talk a bit about that book? i'm a brazilian that is always ashamed of how little br literature I've read compated to international literature, have considered reading that a while back but don't remember why I did not.
Is there any novel it is comparable to?

IJ, ulysses, finnegans wake, the divine comedy...

Attached: 335B2B56-9FF1-4BA4-8DCB-5E489F5BDECC.jpg (768x876, 58K)

Yes, I am Brazilian, but I wouldn't tell you to read A Pedra do Reino as you're still trying to babystep your way into our literature. I'd say I've never read anything quite like A Pedra do Reino, and not just because of its setting, but the general feel of the book, its narration, its events, are so alien to anything else. If you're really serious about reading Brazilian literature, there's no going wrong if you start with our bro Machado and work your way up the twentieth century. Maybe I can help you with some recs if you tell me what type of novels you like.

I've read casmurro, borbas and brás cubas, though realism/romance is not really my thing. Aside from that, the only brazilian works I've read is Euclides Os Sertões, which I really enoyed and Rosa's Grande Sertão, which I loved and found it to be on par with the greatest novels I've read. Not really trying to babystep just wanted some info on it but I welcome any recs

the only book i've ever read more than once is stranger in a strange land, and the second time it disillusioned me to my former tastes as a youth.

You don't really need to read V. before GR. Sure there's some stuff about Weissmann in V. that gets brought up again in GR but if you haven't read V. you'll still be able to 'get' the Weissmann stuff in GR just fine if you're reading it at all closely, which you'll need to do if you want to come away from GR with any idea of what went on in it. I remember starting GR, not having read any Pynchon, no idea what to expect really, and I remember getting 100 pages in and realizing with horror that I didn't understand what was going on at all. Not a bit. For this reason I recommend reading The Crying of Lot 49 before you jump into GR since I do think it's useful to have some idea of what to expect with Pynchon. With TCOL49 at least it's short so you won't have to go out of your way to read another doorstopper of a novel before getting to what you actually want to read (GR). TCOL49 isn't nearly as good as GR but at least it gets you used to Pynchon's prose and ideas in a sort of controlled environment before you tackle the jungle of info that is GR.

All this said, if you've read a lot of literature and consider yourself good at reading experimental novels and coming away having learned something, then you'd probably be fine jumping right into GR. When I read it I was still pretty uninitiated to literature. I eventually came back to GR after a while and on my second read I made sure not to underestimate it and to read it with more attention and now it's one of my favorite novels of all time. It's such a rewarding book. It's like a mural depicting the 20th century as a culmination of humanity, a culmination of death and life. His prose ranges from technical, jittery, and paranoid, to beautiful flowing words worthy of romantic paintings.

V. is also definitely worth reading btw, and if you enjoyed GR I recommend making your next Pynchon novel either V. or Mason & Dixon. Read Against the Day after you've read V. because there's a little nod to V. somewhere in the last 100 or so pages that blew me away when I read it. Unlike Weissmann in GR, you WILL need to read V. to understand that reference in AtD. Anyways gl with Pynchon if you do decide to read him.

Damn, son, if you've read Os Sertões and Grande Sertão: Veredas, just get on with A Pedra do Reino. In fact, if at all possible, you should read Graciliano Ramos' Vidas Secas prior to that, and compare both of them. I really consider Suassuna superior to much of the naturalistic novels of the thirties (I do love them, but Suassuna's solution to the problem of underdevelopment and an aesthetic of the underdeveloped is pure kino).

easy

Attached: 41IhsTqZh6L._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (342x499, 26K)