My favorite thing about Yea Forums is the way it exposes a lot of people as the mere cronies of the university system...

My favorite thing about Yea Forums is the way it exposes a lot of people as the mere cronies of the university system that they are. They quote supposed authorities on the humanities (authoritative because they teach at Yale or something like that) and browbeat each other for not being enrolled in MFA programs. Many of them do very good impressions. Some of them are probably not even trolling. However, nine times out of ten, a discussion will devolve into either /pol/baiting or a contest to see who can rattle off more trivia with more purple prose about more 18th century aristocrats who are only remembered because some rich asshole decided to include them in a college curriculum 250 years ago and nobody has bothered to do anything about it since then.
In case you didn't know, a lot of what makes an academic successful is the ability to perform like an academic in front of other academics. A lot of the rest consists in the ability to parrot back what the university system expects its experts to know so that you can be recognized as an expert. This process is how academic knowledge is produced. The 'university system' is obviously entrenched within the framework of global capitalism and Eurocentric modes of thinking.
Pic related, he's managed to succeed in academia by playing power games for 51 years and acting like 1968 never stopped being relevant. He maintains his power by failing his enemies before they can become effective and denouncing his critics as bourgeois enemies of the working class. He's a successful academic reviled by other academics. How did he get here? He got certified to teach at universities by the state. Yes, the same State that breaks your back with the boot he complains about. The university system is complicit in its own creative destruction, is it not?

Attached: alain.jpg (460x276, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scottlocklin.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/quantum-computing-as-a-field-is-obvious-bullshit/
scottlocklin.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/nano-nonsense-25-years-of-charlatanry/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

nigga how about you say that in like 20 words or less

Attached: 0a1.jpg (643x820, 80K)

Fuck You Big Idiots You Are Fake As Fuck

if it makes you feel any better i appreciate your commentary. just be a little lighter on the authors we consider greats because otherwise we would be stuck with teen drama books with no interesting commentary on anything intellectual at all

>Blah blah blah contest to see who can tattle off more trivia with more purple prose about more 18th century aristocrats blah blah blah

Silence, hypocrite.

>just be a little lighter on the authors we consider greats
Most of them are only brought up to use as idealized heroes that Yea Forums aspires to emulate as part of the 'literary lifestyle.'

Don't worry OP, I'm sure you're here to save the day with your unflinching devotion to Truth and extremely original critiques of academia

Can someone explain the term "purple prose" to a witless eurotard?

>original
You know that it isn't supposed to be original, so why do you pretend that it is?

real wit isn't exchanged on a gook goblin battle site

the people here are procrastinating from writing papers or essays

Idk if this is bait but an actual philosophical conversation is rewarding asf. If there are any facts going down it's simply a matter of trying to be understandable to someone who hasn't read anything

I can see you've been doing your deadlifts well.

Attached: dl.jpg (194x259, 12K)

Simply noting that the critique is a very well worn one my man

Then shut the fuck up

No

Well said.

So besides the claim that the university system is fairly well integrated into capital, and Yea Forums is necessarily affected by that, you have nothing to add?

a text whose language is so extravagant that it pulls its readers attention from its content towards its use of extravagant language.

Yea Forums is full of idiots who think that going to college makes you a good person and studying literature makes you a genius

I hear the opposite view often enough here (at least regarding the former), but whatever, those people you describe certainly exist as well.

It's a job like any other.

Intellectuals are the enemy of the people in a technological society. Pol Pot did absolutely nothing wrong.

Yikes. Why don't you fuck off back to pol?

based taleb poster

>He got certified to teach at universities by the state. Yes, the same State that breaks your back with the boot he complains about. The university system is complicit in its own creative destruction, is it not?
Obviously yes. The university system should be understood as a component of the state.

There is a portion of academia that does something resembling unbiased research over in the hard sciences, in cases where the results can have no awkward political implications, but that's it.

Badiou's an anti-semite.

i doubt it works any different in hard sciences. i imagine an idea starts being talked about...perhaps even started by a total or relative nobody. idea picks up some steam. some big fish from some top university hears about it and thinks to himself uh this sounds pretty good. then the whole machinery of anonymous PhDs and employees starts churning. It churns for a year or two until you have a new theory. The big fish signs his name on it and he is hailed as genius. The guy who actually started the idea probably dies anonymous and in poverty. Unimportant PhDs and collaborators maybe get some secondary citations and some money. The big fish takes the book deals, the salary, the funds and grants and the newspaper clips. I'm pretty sure that's how academia works.

And Neil DeGrasse Tyson just keeps on paddling

>If there are any facts going down it's simply a matter of trying to be understandable to someone who hasn't read anything
The fact of the matter is that if somebody hasn't ready any philosophy or had any formal training in it, they are incapable of doing philosophy. You have to at least read a bit of Plato first.

How do we reverse this?

Attached: Hyperrealism-La hora del té, Magda Torres Gurza.jpg (3027x1939, 1.06M)

>if somebody hasn't ready any philosophy or had any formal training in it, they are incapable of doing philosophy.
then how did philosophy ever start
check and mate m8

Plato wrote his dialogues, allowing people to do philosophy. :^)

There is no way to reverse it. It's just the way things are and always have to be.

Nerds need to be bullied. This is what Yea Forums has taught me. They need to know their place as dutiful symbolic manipulating mules that are servile slaves to bureaucracies.

Fund reads, polemical:
scottlocklin.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/quantum-computing-as-a-field-is-obvious-bullshit/
scottlocklin.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/nano-nonsense-25-years-of-charlatanry/

Fake Ass Niggas Ain't Shit.

An academic beard. lol

Look at all those... Delightful people that write for Yahoo. They like to tout all their credentials but it's like 'Dude, you write for Yahoo.'

Hypocrisy for me doing the same thing to them, maybe (looking down on them) but look at what they get away with writing! And these are the professionals. These are people you are obligated to respect. This is what these programs are spewing out into the world?

Just think about all the shallow Game of Thrones clickbait out there, written by people with multiple degrees

bump

bump

This board is mostly full of dumb angsty teens. Stop reading their takes on authors and read them yourself.

I actually have no interest in most of the "canon." If I did I would have studied literature.

Then what are you interested in? People reinforcing your bias?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. You're so clever to have seen through me.

I mean like, yeah, but I think people on Yea Forums are 10x more likely to imply sentiments like your own as opposed to real academia where, at best, you get incredulous stares or, at worst, you get kicked out for having anything like a self-reflective, let alone critical, thought. Like you can actually lose tenure over tweets, for example, whereas here I can call you a nigger in the same breath that I expose your charlatanisn. Another way of putting this is that Yea Forums offers something closer to the traditional model of critical discourse when it matters (albeit not consistently) whereas academia is more likely to concern themselves with homogenized social media and arbitrary critique.

>nine times out of ten
opinion discarded

>eople on Yea Forums are 10x more likely to imply sentiments like your own
Sure--but there are plenty of faggots here who think that going to college makes you a good person and studying literature makes you a god.
>Like you can actually lose tenure over tweets, for example, whereas here I can call you a nigger in the same breath that I expose your charlatanisn.
Calling me a 'nigger' isn't really self-reflective or critical. It's just racist (I'm also white, so you're factually incorrect on top of being, in principle, wrong).
>Yea Forums offers something closer to the traditional model of critical discourse
This isn't true at all.
>whereas academia is more likely to concern themselves with homogenized social media and arbitrary critique.
This also isn't true.