The Odyssey VS The Epic of Gilgamesh

Which one is the better story and why? Compare and contrast

Or is there another ancient great adventure tale (including non western) that surpasses them both?

Attached: odysseygirugamesh.jpg (900x354, 123K)

The Epic of Gilgamesh was more relatable and touches on more profound themes. The Odyssey feels like LOTR before LOTR existed but with Classical myth instead of Norse

Chocolate vs vanilla. Day vs night. Left hand vs right hand. They’re both great. Homer’s is more modern and more human. Can’t rightly decide.

Odyssey has the better and more engaging plot but Gilgamesh is deeper/has more meaning

Attached: illustration_the_odyssey.jpg (670x173, 111K)

So the Odyssey is about the different models of interaction between people(mainly guest/host relationships) and Gilgamesh about how to become a good man(king) and coming to terms with mortality, right?

Attached: cyclops.jpg (1356x668, 145K)

Bump just because I made the thread at a terrible hour. Hopefully its still alive in the morning

We should ask Destiny

The Odyssey is a sequel and we all know sequels are devoid of artistic value

and the epic of gilgamesh is just a compilation of a bunch of unrelated stories that were stitched together

good morning user, it's still alive :D

Instead of the good can we talk about what they do wrong? Making Odysseus crew just a bunch of red shirts comes to mind.

The Epic of Gilgamesh ended literature.

> ‘Urshanabi, climb up on to the wall of Uruk,
inspect its foundation terrace, and examine well the brickwork; see if it is not of burnt bricks; and did not the seven wise
men lay these foundations? One third of the whole is city, one third is garden, and one third is field, with the precinct of
the goddess Ishtar. These parts and the precinct are all Uruk.'

Even Kings and Heroes gotta die sometime. Most thrilling interaction with a man's mortality I've ever read.

I dont get it

homer is worth 20 mesopotamias

Yeah sorry Gilgamesh but the Odyssey will always be the most important fantasy tale for Western canon.

at least you get some pity points for being first

Gilgamesh is important, but the Odyssey is a masterpiece of poetry, it's like comparing Piers Plowman to Shakespeare

>all the plebs who prefer the Odyssey
plebs, I expected better from Yea Forums. how sad

Gilgamesh > Iliad > Odyssey

Reverse it you contrarian dumbass

Odyssey < Iliad < Gilgamesh

Such a plebeian opinion. The original is often boring, clunky, and unaware of it's broader implications. Now, in referring to classic literature, caveats become more common than rules, but this rule stays rather universal to creativity activity.

Originals arise from pure creative genius, sequels ride on the success of the originals while attempting to recapture what made them great for the sake of furthering the author's success(money/fame)

>great literature
>reducible to a single meaning
pick one

Oh fuck off they are notable due to the time they were made at not because they are actually any good outside the context of historical value and influence.

Pong, Pacman and Space Invaders are important games but it would be silly to claim they are actually good games. If the Odyssey came out today it would be deservedly trashed(if anyone even bothered to critique it)

Spoken like a true dilettante.
"I can't tell popular usages of sequential stories from genuinely classic sequels."

>The original is often boring
>but this rule stays rather universal to creativity activity
you're backpedaling

neither, 1001 nighjts

well that came about 2000 years later

If we remove the "ancient" requirement, is there even a consensus on what is the best hero's journey ever? Is it the Lord of the Rings? Eh

By hero's journey I dont mean it has to obey to all campbellian crap, just epic stories that involves an action hero traveling a world with supernatural elements

Attached: lotrpainting.jpg (1280x614, 345K)

Gilgamesh, Hercules, and Rama would be my top three.

Guess I would also throw in Journey to the West as well.

Star Wars(the first film) unironically

George Lucas wrote the script with Campbell's hero's journey in mind. It might as well be called Hero's Journey based on the book by Joseph Campbell.

>George Lucas wrote the script with Campbell's hero's journey in mind.

no he didn´t, read pic related

Attached: 513O-ngKA-L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 32K)

As a story, I personally like The Journey to the West better than both of them. But then I wasn't big on the Odyssey. The Illiad left more of a lasting impact on me.

It checks off every box of the Hero's Journey. I know it was originally supposed to be a sci-fi version of The Hidden Fortress, but there is very little left of that movie in the finished version.

Because its intentionally trying to be that, while the others filled that archetype organically

This desu. the Greek epics feels like modern day capeshits

Beowulf, obviously

capeshit are modern day greek epics

Attached: should I watch Glass?.jpg (1000x563, 94K)

kek

no they are both about hero's going on dangerous adventures

>Filename
Yes you should.

Is there any version of Gilgamesh that isn't in fragments?

Gilgamesh is a poetic lamentation on man's honor and mortality. The Odyssey is a story about a dude trying to get home.

A more apt comparison would be the Iliad vs. Gilgamesh but they're both so fucking good that I don't know why you'd limit yourself to just one.

Then it's Ulysses or Finnegans Wake

The Epic of Gilgamesh is great because of how pure and real it feels.
But don't you dare touch the Odyssey or I'll murder you.

>The Odyssey
>About a dude trying to get home
Imagine being this dumb and not getting the symbolism and subtext

Never had a GF and the Odyssey is all about a guy trying get back to his. I have had a really good friend though, so I found Gilgamesh spoke to me more.