Do you regret not studying STEM or history and instead getting memed into wasting thousands of hours on pointless...

Do you regret not studying STEM or history and instead getting memed into wasting thousands of hours on pointless novels half of which weren't even fun?
Me? Every day.

Attached: dek6.jpg (1024x577, 65K)

>history
History is one of the least employable majors there is.

Why would you study anything literature related?

Attached: 9bb2aa74.jpg (620x916, 61K)

I'm a med student by day.. and night
But I read a lot of Yea Forums aswell

>regret
t. degenerate masochist

I'm studying information science. Join the multidisciplinary masterrace.

It's okay

t. Electrical engineer.

Il have to add that its not easy in STEM either. I have only scooped like 5/6 of this years course creds and I struggled I really did.

Im lucky they dont kick you out for getting 1s around here, the standards of testing are tough already desu.

Attached: 1556217379287.png (1000x1000, 190K)

I studied accounting and it destroyed my soul. I wish I studied anything else.

> not majoring in STEM and minoring in English/Philosophy

Best of both worlds and your employer will see that you're smart and can communicate.

no regrets

never

>Majoring in Computer Science
>interest in economics, so i think about doing a minor
>can't afford to because Florida charges you double tuition for exceeding your credit limit
The worst shit is that I'm 1 semester away from a minor and 2 semesters away from a double major.
If I just did the minor, that's 10 credits at double rate.
If I declare a double major, I get extra credits allocated so I would avoid the double charging, but I'd need a little more than double the credits.
A minor and a double major would, essentially, cost me the same about of money.

I switched from STEM to humanities to STEM and humanities, but I know the degree I have doesn’t matter that much since I don’t want a career

I was depressed as fuck at the time and philosophy was the only thing that made sense for me to do. So while I completely regret not picking STEM I probably would've failed out anyway. If I could go back now I would cause I've got a 4.0 now and my school mentality is great but it's a little fuckin late. I'm trying to squeeze in a business minor atm.

Actually fuck no I don't regret not studying philosophy, fuck all that "oh lecture room philosophy hurr durr worthless" shit it's a transitional step that costs a lot of money sure but I took my first two years at community college so it's super fine. Taking any liberal arts freshman-sophmore year at a 4 year? Or a private? WEW

>Do you regret not studying STEM or history and instead getting memed into wasting thousands of hours on pointless novels half of which weren't even fun?
I studied sociology and make 7k a month, so no.

i studied STEM and have only attempted suicide 2 times

What do you do

>or history
Functionally the same as an English degree.

not like we have time to care about careers anyways. counting on disruptive technologies to make the drifter life viable and even desirable as society degrades over the next 15 years

sociology

based and hobopilled

I’m currently studying Accounting. I only hope that technology doesn’t make me irrelevant in the near future.

I regret studying STEM instead of meming myself into reading cool and interesting novels.

me as well. as a stemtard taking up literature as a hobby I just can't exude the same degree of smugness a lit or phil grad can. Normies can't tell the difference but I would immediately be exposed as a pseud by a Phil/lit grad

Majoring in Electrical Engineering and doing a philosophy minor

Attached: 1528674420106.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

it's one of those careers that will be enhanced by ai for the next 5-7 years, then killed off after the techies learn everything they needed to from their deal with your employer. not that any of us will be doing better by the early 2030s

I regret studying STEM instead of something actually interesting.
I'm working at a low paying job that doesn't use my degree anyways.

I don't give a fuck. Everything is absurd bullshit.

>implying STEM isn't a total waste

Now I do insufferable administrative work, papershuffling, and pen pushing that has nothing to do with my degree. My "education" has provided me with no added value or satisfaction. At least if I opted for the humanities I would probably be fluent in a second language, and have read some good books.

Meanwhile my brother went to school for music. Now he makes 4-7k per month (working 2-4 hours per day) performing on cruiseships. He travels the world, fucks tons of women, makes good money, etc. I literally want to nuke this entire earth when I think of how unfair it is.

Man I’ve heard of Cruise Ship type stuff, and it’s really a mixed bag. Maybe you’d enjoy it, but not everyone who works there actually likes it. If it didn’t match your personality, you wouldn’t be enjoying yourself regardless.

market studies probably

>conveniently ignoring all the successful lawyers who majored in history

I'm doing all three

shit that sucks

A stem degree can be just as useless as an arts degree. Shoulda gone petroleum

>STEM

Attached: tenor.gif (220x165, 119K)

amen

you probably just weren't meant for STEM. do what comes easy to you. also cs is a gay meme kys

>fun

critical thinking

>tfw studied stem
>tfw studied history
>tfw studied pointless novels too
boi

>study computer engineering in a western european country with no fees
>joining the army as an officer to learn leadership skills and how to manage people
>in a country where I will likely never have to actually fight, will spend most of my time doing courses, working out, reading Yea Forums and learning languages like French and Arabic
>all food and accomodation paid for
>earn good money
>will do a masters in computer science at a top 50 uni paid for by the army
>Likely will move in to a management position in a tech company before I'm in my thirties
>went out with a model looking girl last night, kissed her and got physical but she wouldn't come back to my hotel with me

Still feel depressed and think about suicide regularly. Why am I like this

i am studying computer science and i am a luddite

i regret not getting into a trade
thats the consistently highest paying profession here

Attached: 1533566137875.jpg (540x720, 33K)

That's what it means to be depressed, suffering under this unending curse which is called life until you either throw in the towel and end it or die by some means.

>Still feel depressed and think about suicide regularly
because you're a dumb cunt

It's actually one of the more viable humanities.

I worked in the IT field and was hell for me. Seriously exhort everyone considering engineering their degree to do an internship as early as possible in Uni. Anyways, I dropped out of uni before I got my degree and been doing min wage jobs for years and happier than ever. Got my PPL license (because flying is fun as hell) and currently flying (unpaid) towing shit and parachute jumping co-pilot. and although I’ll get my commercial license (and therefore be able to work as a pilot) by the time I’m 35 no fucks given.

>forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy
Have fun with your awful, dead end life friend

This. When I was studying in the US I found true patrician where from this backgrounds. In continental Europe it's difficult because universities don't offer the possibility of double majoring.

but i'm a nuclear engineering major

Fucking American.
University is for Bildung, not job education.

he's probably a non millionaire non aristocrat

No, historically it was Beschäftigungstherapie for the young people with wealthy families.

University as job education is just "unnatural" as middle class (or lower) people entering University for "Bildung".

Not him.
>Learn Python or Javascript (takes 3 months or so)
Are you actually getting hired with that but of coding knowledge?
Isn't it basically worthless?

Learn Python or Javascript (takes 3 months or so) => find some job making €1500 after taxes => you can now live a basic life, working not even 40h per week. That's always an option. And you can work yourself from there to whereever you want.

If, instead, you're 18 and set your mind to making 4k a month, one ends up with people who regret their life, choosing their major on wage statistics. Unless you know someone up early, there's no need to become an A1 wage cuck - especially in Europe.

University is a state institution to give people an environment to grow themselves. Read some of W. Humboldt. Making a uni teach the same thing as a college or polytech is just capitalist influence and subverstion of said institution

Attached: 1488592659774.gif (245x250, 557K)

Attached: fine.png (229x225, 94K)

Sorry, quickly edited a paragraph. And sure, there's always a million project and small companies who want their websites set up, put in the cloud, or have some of their data molded into something presentable.
I'm not saying don't go to university, I'm saying don't choose your major on whether the epople hoding the final titles get X or X+400$ on average.

Stop editing yourself as you write you ape, you'll never finish anything

>mfw geologist

I fucking hate going on field trips that are longer than a week because I'm such a home-person, but other than that it's OK I guess. As usual I can't find enough time to read.

Attached: 1451097261729.jpg (4685x2457, 313K)

>Making a uni teach the same thing as a college or polytech is just capitalist influence and subverstion of said institution
Again. There is nothing more weird about University being job education then it being accessible to non upper class people.

Universities are what they are because you have enormous amounts of people entering who's parents do not guarantee them a decent enough lifestyle simply by existing, that is why universities HAVE to be job education programs.

But that knowledge is basically useless?
Might as well go on a construction site and look for jobs there.

Yeah I don't disagree with you? I mean the "must" is a bit of a strong word (insert communist critique among at a Star Trek universe), but given it's unlikely that capitalism won't be overcome, sure it's natural.
That doesn't change the fact that people aren't really forced to get into any particular job program out of fear to become homeless.

I just wanted to do east asian studies why didn't they let me

Attached: 1.jpg (659x697, 127K)

An introverted shut-in geologist. Now I’ve seen everything in this life.

Because this was the impression you made

Attached: asd.jpg (1280x720, 139K)

I'm not autistic enough for that user

I have two B.A., one in History and one in Chinese studies(I'm an Europoor with free college so I was able to enroll in both for no fees).

Useless degree + Useless degree = no job and I want to kill myself. The guys here are right, studying for pleasure when you're not an aristocrat is doomed from the start.

I'm already railroaded into a humanities degree because of how university works here. I don't hate what I'm (or rather will be, this last year was a waste of my time) studying, which is a major in english and a minor in German, but it's as useless as a degree in east asian studies, so I'd rather be doing that.

How was chinese, by the way?

>my fucking face when

Attached: 1443409878-2015-09-28-Would-Dour.jpg (282x266, 60K)

Harder than anything I've been through, and I'm not yet done. I'm very good at reading compared to other westerners(they all suck) but suck at speaking.

I'm jobless but chinese is the one thing that makes me feel smug as fuck.

I've abandoned the idea of learning mandarin for the time being, even though I had planned to have it be my first language in EAStudies (You had to pick two out of Mandarin, Japanese and Korean) because I don't think I can cope with learning it alongside Japanese and German, not to mention all the other shit in the degree.

Don't despair yet, user. Might be that mandarin lands you a nice job yet. Best of luck to you.

Once you've learned Japanese, it's much easier to learn Chinese because you skip the early stages when you're afraid of characters and the weirdness of non indo-european languages.

My ex spoke Italian, English, French, Japanese and Mandarin with high levels of fluency and it was not that she spent all her days studying, at one point languages just are something you do.

Yeah, that's the idea. Hopefully I'll be at least semi-fluent by the time I'm done with the degree, so I can confidently move to mandarin.

this

Also, the degree doesn't matter.:3

>tfw pre-veterinary
>love my courses but terrified of vet school
>study literature and creative writing on the side, minor if I can fit it
My classes are pretty tough even though I like them but at least now I have a very high disgust tolerance since I've done so many hot dissections.

I'm a sophomore majoring in mathematics, so no.

At least you have read some history and learned a new language. If you had a STEM degree you'd have no job and you'd have no added value. All your knowledge would have been for the purpose of performing researching and laborotory work. And when you're not doing that actively you literally forget everything. I remember nothing of my STEM degree. I might as well have not done it at all.

I regret not being born rich. every study and job seem like a spook. Studied law, 3 years later half the codex is outdated and not only do I have a hard time finding asshole clients but Im also in a rat race to keep my knowledge up to date.

At least you weren't born rich only to have your retarded family lose it all

just marry rich off your devilishly handsome looks lol

I actually was. All my youth I was taught dumb shit like how to say a toast, what fancy shit goes with other fancy shit, learned horseback ridding,etc. Now all that is unapplicable, I can't even cook for my self because all my childhood mom insisted cooking was gay

Attached: 141881-full.jpg (693x448, 77K)

Become a communist and unfairly take back what was unfairly taken away from you.

This hurts the most, but it’s fairly common in non old-money filthy rich families. You sometimes get a smart individual who manages to create his own little company, invest on different things, etc. And able to amass a little fortune (not millionaire, but a well-off entrepreneur). By the next generation everything is divided between the siblings, and the next one basically gets nothing because everyone failed to keep the thing afloat.
Imagine all that + having a father who thinks he’s successful for having two companies which have been red for the past 3 years, and prior that making 10k/year on each. What a joke

what would she say about frogposting?

Well, no. If I studied a STEM or other 'respectable' degree, which everyone tried to meme me into, I wouldn't have enjoyed it and might have even failed out of pure disinterest. However, I studied a degree that I loved (English), and it's considered relevant enough that I can get a Master's in Speech and Language Therapy and qualify in that. It might not pay well like being a programmer will, but I'm going to be directly helping people and enjoying myself doing what I love at the same time. I regret nothing.

Attached: 1524754411485.jpg (640x640, 33K)

Most people in STEM are unremarkable neckbeards and normies that end up doing mundane office work.

Got a BSc in Computer Science and EE. Will pursue a MSc in either Data Science or Machine Learning in the future. So I'm good.

so what exactly makes STEM so challenging?

You have to have the ability, interest and commitment of time. Even if you have the first, then you still need to have the other two.

I get so mad every time I realize my Uni doesn't have any creative writing courses or even literature courses you could take.

Ignoring the OP, it's interesting how similar is to this thread. I know /sci/ and Yea Forums share a lot of posters but both boards seem to be redpilled about STEM being a meme unless you're genuinely passionate for it.

I studied law as an undergraduate and I'm extremely sad about it, feeling like the next step is to buy life insurance and a coffin, because that's the logical conclusion of my current career as an attorney.

Currently doing my A levels and predicted top grades in all of them, those being Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Literature. Should I do PPE, Maths and Philosophy or Maths (which on its own will also include stuff from other fields like relativity and quantum mechanics)?

the absolute state of bookfags. KEK

Least you kept a smile on your face r-right?

We live in a capitalist society which revolves around money. Money gives you freedom and independence.

The best major to do in a capitalist economy is engineering, specifically computer engineering.

Why?
>the specialized skills and knowledge you learn are in high demand
>they are accredited by a professional body
>You are a member of a profession (you can say "I'm an engineer", yes this is important)
>People will assume you are smart which means you can get away with a shit ton more than you otherwise would
>We are on the verge of basically another industrial revolution where technology is going to be central to almost everything, everyone will need to know how to code to some extent
>With this degree, you will know how to code but will also have a lot of high level math which will separate you from plebians
>Best degree for an entrepreneur
>Don't have to actually work as a code monkey, you can leverage the degree into a lot of different things, specifically if you have good social skills and are well read then you are really in the money

Education is far more than a college degree. Going to college is just part of the filtering process to who gets the top jobs and the choices of what job they want. So you may as well play the system to get the most choice you can possibly have.

>STEM

Attached: K.jpg (310x326, 25K)

They washed you well

yikes

nice

>learning languages like French and Arabic

What's the difference?

kek

Lol guys, just triple major Math, Business and Philosophy

Attached: 1559972058962.png (750x595, 354K)

I'm doing Mech. Eng. It's okay, I guess. I'm not passionate about it, but I couldn't really see myself doing anything else. That seems to be the prevailing mindset with a large percentage of my colleagues too, which is interesting.

>Language Therapy
Sounds like some feminist dance theory tier shit

Most CpEs do not take tests to get 'accredited', the degree and work experience is sufficient. CpEs don't even get paid that much, they just hire Indians. Most CpEs fuck around in verilog and testing the designs of senior engineers through simulations. You're still a cog, congrats you just test hardware instead of software.

>not quadruple majoring in physics, computer science, philosophy, and art history
what are you guys, retarded?

One of the comfy things about an engineering degree is actually that no one expects you to live through your job. It's a career choice that allows you to be mediocre and still make decent bank without having to worry about being unemployed.

t. electrical engineer

Honestly, a lot of jobs are spooks unless you know somebody, nepotism, and all that. Can't start a business either with no money.

I'm personally getting a degree in business and accepted the fact that I will, most likely, never be above a cubicle rat herder, hell might not even get a position like that, I might be a cubicle rat myself. Or perhaps I might be out-competed due to the globalised nature of the world today and having to race with 3rd worlders who will do jobs at a severe discount. Hiring 10 of them to do the job of 1 and still have some left over? Congratulations on your new NEET position. Looking pretty bleak right now guys.

Attached: 1539974616563.png (1200x864, 371K)

You're an absolute pseud who has drank the koolaid.

>money gives you freedom and independence
WEW

I genuinely want to hear someone rip apart what I said. I want to hear other perspectives and opinions.

First off I'm not in America so it's different. Secondly getting an engineering accreditation is still important for a lot of other reasons. You clearly have a very narrow minded view of yourself and your capabilities. Engineers can work in consulting, finance, audit, join the military as an officer, they are in high demand for business type jobs (that's why you also work on your soft skills), you can learn languages and get certificates on the side which show your fluency from a practical perspective, as far as the pajeets go, a lot of the time they get exploited and never move above code monkey due to racism / lack of trust / cultural boundaries, you want to have some heavy academic credentials in a hard science combined with excellent social skills and an MBA if you actually want to make big money in your career. A bachelors degree is such a small factor in the grand scheme of things.

I'm working off the assumption that one goes to college to maximise their earning potential, which is admittedly quite soulless. If you want to go to college and put yourself in 6 figure debt for muh passion in some Mickey mouse major so you can work in Starbucks and give blowjobs to make ends meet then by all means.

Like this guy said, if you're not ambitious you can always just have a above average paying cushy career and spend the rest of your time enjoying your hobbies and spending time with your family. Most jobs are soul sucking and boring anyway, may aswell pick a high paying one

>Money gives you freedom and independence.
No, it doesn't. "Freedom" being defined as being a slave to your passion is pretty much exclusive to our society.

Being "free" doesn't mean that there are no obstacles towards hedonism, but it means the exact opposite, bring in control of your passions, no amount of money can buy you that and people who do not have that freedom tend to lose money very quickly.

>The best major to do in a capitalist economy is engineering, specifically computer engineering.
Absurd, the "best" major is the intersection of what you enjoy and what makes you enough money to justify your education, especially as CS is very quickly degrading I to a codemonkey degree, as demanded by the industry, even thinking about the fact that there are CS majors asking "what do I need analysis for" is enough to be very sceptical of the future of these degrees.

>and never move above code monkey due to racism / lack of trust / cultural boundaries
No, because they tend to do awful work.

It's the cheap Chinese manufacturing for software, not something one can expect quality from.

>I'm working off the assumption that one goes to college to maximise their earning potential
A terrible assumption, few people are retarded/able enough to put years of their time into something they hate, only to get a job continuing doing what they hate.
You need to find a middle ground, else you either quit a couple months in or quit your life realizing that the only thing you are remotely competent at is something you despise.

Life isn't about maximizing your account balances you have laying on your death bed.

Yes that's another factor

In the companies I've worked (one a semi state aviation company, another a private electrical engineering firm) there was subtle racism towards the pajeets, they would never really be accepted properly and had their own cliques, they also got paid well below market rate given their skill level and experience. They were given the grunt work engineering jobs but any roles with client interaction or any bit of social interaction were always filled by native English speakers who had the same culture as the country I live in. You may have to put in a year or two at the start on the same level as these guys but you will move up a lot faster

agreed

>only go to college for employment

I agree that employment should, generally speaking, be intellectual. But this mentality does not breed better colleges generally speaking. The perfunctory tasks we are required to do day in and day out absorb much of our time but are not as intellectual as, say, reading an advanced piece of literature.

Tis’ a fact of life and THAT is not going to change, regardless if you were living in a socialist or capitalist world. :3

I don't hate it though. It's fine, I'm interested in a lot of different things, I enjoy the intellectual challenge of it and I find it fascinating, even if it's not something I'm crazy passionate about. I'm good at math and physics and I have a strong interest in business / entrepreneurship.

Like I said I believe in life long learning, I studied for the CFA level 1 last year and I have a certificate for fluency in two European languages, currently working on a third. I love reading literature in my spare time. You can easily pick up business qualifications while working, I would like to run a business of my own someday and that's why I chose what I chose. Quite a few of my classmates have went into entrepreneurship already

>I don't hate it though.
I wasn't accusing you, it seems you are doing pretty much what I said, finding a middle ground between what you like and what financially justifies your degree.

c-cope!

What about having the freedom to give your children the best opportunities available when it comes to education, opportunities you didn't have, what about having the freedom to travel to different places, take in different cultures and broaden your mind, what about the freedom to take care of your physical health and maximise the time you spend on this planet, what about having the freedom to help the less fortunate (I would like to start a non profit focused on the mental health of young people, something that could have helped me when I was in a dark place), what about being able to both attract and provide for a mate, what about having the money to fund your interests in art and literature, or to create your own? Having money is not just about having no barriers to hedonism. I've seen enough good, decent people suffer greatly in my life to know the pain of poverty.

As for the second part, CS is not even close to computer engineering in terms of academic rigour. I agree with what you say about the "best" major, if you have absolutely zero interest in computer engineering then obviously you would be stupid to major in it. When I said beat I should have said "most employable". In terms of jobs it is really only those who attend elite universities or those with wealthy families who can afford to spend 4 years in college to study something that is not teaching marketable skills. That's just my opinion.

>With this degree, you will know how to code but will also have a lot of high level math

engineers can't do math

>What about having the freedom to give your children the best opportunities available when it comes to education
If you are living in the west, currently there is no indication that any child here is blocked from education by anything besides his own abilities.

>what about having the freedom to travel to different places, take in different cultures and broaden your mind
That's a vice, not a freedom.

>what about the freedom to take care of your physical health and maximise the time you spend on this planet
That requires, at worst, a minor increase in money spent on food and a bit of research.
Money doesn't buy you fitness, it's discipline and self control.

>what about having the freedom to help the less fortunate
That isn't a freedom, what absurd notion of freedom do you have?

>what about being able to both attract and provide for a mate
That isn't a freedom and pretty much any social class is able to sexually reproduce.

>what about having the money to fund your interests in art and literature, or to create your own?
Consuming and creating literature can be done for the cost of an internet able device created in this century, you can get a used X220 for under 100 dollars, with that you can create and read everything you could possibly want.

>Having money is not just about having no barriers to hedonism.
Apparently it is, as you weren't able to provide one reasonable instance where "freedom" is a meaningful term or isn't about exactly that.

>CS is not even close to computer engineering in terms of academic rigour.
Isn't it far worse?

>In terms of jobs it is really only those who attend elite universities or those with wealthy families who can afford to spend 4 years in college to study something that is not teaching marketable skills.
Or the ones not needing large amounts of disposable income to throw at their vices.

based and saved

I think he meant STEM for getting a job and if you don't study for a job at least study something fun that will give you true perspective and understanding of the world, which history does, and certainly not reading boring fiction.

What he doesn't know is that history programs nowadays are dumbed down and full of propaganda and war lies, and a lot of time is spent on the 20th century and WWII, most of which serving only to legitimize the current world order and is completely false.

>STEM
I rather not get turned into a pathetic bugman /slash/ computer plugin whose motivation is economically getting back at their high school bullies

Biofag here, hating my major but it’s the most logical choice I could have made.

I never had any interest in anything in school and I barely graduated. I tried some vocational schools but I couldn't be bothered with those either. If something doesn't interest me for its own sake then there's no way I can be bothered to study it. Now I'm a janitor (part time).

Thanks, it is pretty good.

lmao nah it's about teaching people with learning difficulties or medical conditions (e.g. strokes) how to communicate effectively. Just because you've never heard of it, that doesn't mean people don't benefit from it.

Attached: 1520886966789.png (1080x1920, 473K)

No one actually reads your posts, let alone tries to engage with them beyond usual shitposting.

it's boring as fuck

underage b&

nothing's stopping you from getting into it now lmao

t. arrogant student

nobody hires 23/24 year old tradies, they only hire teenagers

i think...

People in the second year of A levels are 17/18 retard, it's June so I'd be almost guaranteed to be 18.
Birthday is 18th November 2000

MODS

any recommendations for self study?