For those of you who know more than one language, how did you learn?

For those of you who know more than one language, how did you learn?

Attached: 1500644780507.jpg (2772x2112, 1.65M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NiTsduRreug
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

English is not my native language, so... consuming media.
I also speak german, but that was studying through course.

I studied a few years in US (elementary school). I remember it was a black school but I still learned. Consuming English media also helped later on.

10,000 hours of anime
and another 10,000 in anki

Took Latin in high school and kept practicing what I learned after I graduated

english: pop culture
german: school

I learned Latin in highschool, and am currently taking German in College. The two languages are surprisingly similar in terms of Grammar.

Autistically consuming media

Mom speaks good French, decent Spanish. I always enjoyed something about Romance languages, and have pursued that into a good understanding of all of them as well as Latin itself. In school started with French at age ~11-12. Every means possible since then including travel, though it's always been only a hobby for me.

I learned english through mindless media consumption. So it doesn't really feel like much of an accomplishment and just shows how addicted I am.

Attached: 1530755334717.jpg (1600x900, 141K)

Did you use translate to understand at first? How did you over time go from not really understanding english to being fluent? I'm trying to do this with french but I don't quite understand how you make the leap from understanding almost nothing to being able to follow a conversation.

Games, subtitled movies and youtube videos, school.

I don't consider myself to be fluent so forgive me if I make mistakes.
I didn't use the translator too much because I didn't feel the necessity to understand everything 100% at first, I could consume media I didn't fully understand and still be entertained/not get bored. With constant daily exposure you'll inevitably learn (slowly, obviously) without even noticing or being consciously aware of it. It's not very hard to do this with english because of how ubiquitous the language is in our culture and how much media is available, with other lesser known languages it may be more difficult.

Also, watch this video by Stephen Krashen if you wanna know more: youtu.be/NiTsduRreug
He explains the whole process of language acquisition perfectly.

Language courses, private teachers, practice, music, movies, cartoons. My first language isn't english, i've learnt mostly through Yea Forums, UNIRONICALLY.
I only took english from few school lessons. Currently i speak portuguese (mother tongue), spanish, french, english and i can read latin.
My bf knows german, he simply moved to Germany to study.
There's a lot of ways of learning languages, it's an everyday activity. Start slow, don't try to do more than you can.

Watch anime

غيرت ديني للاسلام و تعلمت اللغة العربية باعتبارها بيسد و ريد بيلد. الحمد لله.

French, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish and English speaker here. For French and English I had biweekly classes for years, making it a very long and dreary process. I picked up Spanish fairly easily, firstly just by reading and watching stuff in Spanish without subtitles and then by studying abroad in Salamanca for one year. I'm currently living in Russia for my PhD and we had mandatory Russian classes before the program even started. Granted, my Russian is pretty shitty compared to the others, but sometimes I read Chekhov or Pushkin in the original language. It feels pretty good, desu

اقتل نفسك صلعم

Just teach yourself the common words and work out the rest by slipping into conversation with others.

imagine ironically becoming fluent in a language lol

Studied the language at university and now live in the country of said language.

Honestly the best way to do it.

Speak spanish, learned english with whatever was reachable at hand, didn't needed much help since I was eager to learn and practice. Next I'm going for french. I still have to plan and organize the information I consume in order to learn it from films, music, etc. There might some principles involved into learning any language, those I'm still researching at low pase.

Being the son of a kurdish family living in germany.

I speak turkish,kurdish,german and english

Learned turkish via tv as a kid,german from kindergarden days,kurdish because it was my native language and english at school.

Attached: 44gu91lbv7wz.png (894x1227, 966K)

>how did you learn?
by going to school