Is Lord of the Rings worth reading if I'm 23...

Is Lord of the Rings worth reading if I'm 23? I'm not an Anglo so I never read the books when younger nor watched the films. I like symbolic, esoteric, imaginary worlds for reference and I also like linguistics. Will this scratch that itch or is it too childish?

Attached: 89629378.jpg (265x400, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

muse.jhu.edu/article/182566/pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, but you would have loved it if you were 22.

>I like symbolic, esoteric, imaginary worlds for reference and I also like linguistics
you might like the Silmarillion better then

It's a literary masterpiece. You decide if it's worth reading.

whats the difference?

there isn't a difference, he was being sarcastic tho

I was just about to say, start with the Silmarillion.

Lord of the Rings is excellent, user. With the interests you mentioned, you'll almost definitely enjoy it. Read The Silmarillion after if you want more, there's little point in starting with it.

>is it too childish
Some parts are more fairy tale than medieval epic, but it never stopped me from enjoying every chapter. It's a book with a very wide appeal, I think.

>Worrying about the childishness of a book

>lotr
It’s sort of childish, even the author himself admitted he wrote both LotR and Hobbit for his children, but it’s a decent and fairly easy read.

It's down your alley somewhat, if you know your catholic imagery youll find that everywhere in it.

Regardless of that enjoyable and wholesome so of course its worth reading.

I know he wrote The Hobbit for them, but LotR was a considerably larger and more complicated work. Where did he say it?

it's good, overrated but good

Silmarillion's only really worth starting with if you're already somewhat familiar with Lord of the Rings, typically through the movies.

midnight bump

>or is it too childish
If you knew anything about Tolkien and his work, you wouldn't have written something so incredibly ignorant.

I've unironically re-read some favourite books from childhood, and still enjoyed them. Some of them are superly written, and far too good for kids.

>If you knew anything about Tolkien and his work, you wouldn't have written something so incredibly ignorant.
I said right there that I haven't read him. Are you dumb?

OP, I'm currently re-reading LotR too and I've found out that Tolkien's prose is majestic. He is a damn slow writer, but he's a master of details and foreshadowing.

I think you might also like reading some non-fiction to enhance the experience, and I suggest a book called "A Hobbit, A Wardrobe, and a Great War". Also, reading The Hobbit might also help too, though the "childish" elements are really turned up to eleven there.

Unironically a masterpiece of literary modernism and criminally underrated, not at all comparable to "fantasy" or any other genre fiction.

You could try reading some Dunsany, some of his short stories really show how he might have influenced Tolkien. I'd recommend reading "The Sword of Welleran".

Aside from LoTR, what are some good books for this definition:
>>I like symbolic, esoteric, imaginary worlds for reference and I also like linguistics

Zelazny's work.

It's google search away. He would have never published the series if friend of his hadn't interceded, convinced him that the world needed to see his work. They were for his children only which is why from Hobbit to end of Lord of the Rings story grows ever more mature. He wrote alongside the growth of his children and young boys' and girls' taste transform as years go by.

>modernism
Don't try to use grown-up words until you know what they mean.

muse.jhu.edu/article/182566/pdf
it's been said before fag

Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius.

Starting with the Silmarillion is retarded and a great way to turn people away from Tolkien.

Provide the source for your claim

So, Lord of the Rings or Silmarillion? What is the correct book to start with?

LOTR, then Silm.

Lord of the Rings. There is a reason why you made this thread asking whether LOTR is worth reading. Its because LOTR is the famous work of literature that inspired a whole genre. Silmarillion is great in its own way and a good read if you loved LOTR, but it in itself is nothing compared to Lord of the Rings.

Ok, thanks litbros.