How come Dostoevsky managed to overcome his existential crises but Tolstoy didn't...

How come Dostoevsky managed to overcome his existential crises but Tolstoy didn't? Was Tolstoyan simplicity nothing but life-denying escapism?

Attached: Tolstoy_by_Repin_1901_cropped_rotated.jpg (886x1106, 181K)

>How come Dostoevsky managed to overcome his existential crises
He lied

>W-why does God allow so much suffering? Is it because of free will?
Whiny little bitch.

Attached: 1_5yI0mGn9YyJrT5KAgjCUeQ.png (1600x2000, 2.9M)

Dostoevsky was a better man than Tolstoy.
Tolstoy was too egoistical to accept faith so he ended up a hypocrite.
Dostoevsky knew that he was a weak nothing.
tolstoyfag cope

>Tolstoy was too egoistical to accept faith so he ended up a hypocrite.
But he did end up accepting faith?

>life-denying escapism

Considering he took up Christian anarchism, which is a cope, I'd say yes

Drink vodka and gambling all days of his life.

Any time someone cries about another being "life denying", it's always because they either don't have the depth of experience to understand that person's suffering, or they're delusional and haven't been sufficiently humbled yet. Which is exactly why Nietzche broke down, he knew that he fucked all of you fools up.

Tolstoy’s every action was in service to his colossal ego. I am a big fan of his as an artist but he basically wanted to be the greatest writer of all time, and when he achieved the height of his work (and probably considered himself truly the greatest) he felt dissatisfied and so decided he wanted to become a saint. If you read some of his biography, nonfiction, diaries, and early writing, you will understand this. Funny that Dostoevsky may become an orthodox saint while Tolstoy was excommunicated.

BEHOLD, I TEACH YOU THE WEAKLING. The weakling has given up, surrendered his will for the comfort his faith provides. Let your will say: the weakling shall be the meaning of "cuck."

Attached: zara.jpg (780x428, 87K)

Using your will to improve and transcend the world > Using your will to become attached to the world

How can you transcend the world? Do you mean Nirvana?

Cioran called it "falling out of time". Or, as a Chinese monk once put it, when an instant equals 10,000 years.

Did you get interested on Tolstoy's psychology and early life because of the posts of one of the anons of the old Yea Forums?

>he did end up accepting faith

Yeah, in probably the most egotistical way possible.

>I accept Christ
>LOOK EVERYONE I'M A CHRISTIAN NOW
>No, accepting Christ isn't enough, I must strive to be HUMBLE
>LOOK HOW HUMBLE I AM EVERYONE, I'M BASICALLY A PEASANT, POOR IN BODY BUT RICH IN SOUL
>WHAT DO YOU THINK GUYS, PRETTY DAMN HUMBLE HUH? YOU THINK YOU CAN BE THIS HUMBLE?
>hangs on to his immense wealth and giant estate because obviously he does
>ALL THE LAND A MAN nEEDS IS HIS GRAVE PLOT

He was probably the greatest novelist just on the basis of Anna Karenina, but his "spiritual" turn is frankly embarrassing and unfortunately deprived us of more works by him after he decided writing fiction was sinful.

I don't see how that's transcending or how to work towards that.

Dostoevsky died before bringing the second part of Brothers Karamazov, in which Alyosha was supposed to be far more important than in the first. :(

Read the book of Thomas

Why does everyone drool over that?
It's Jehowah Witness tier.

It's not like he makes a secret of that. It's all there in "My Confession".

Honestly if this is your definition of "transcending the world" then I don't see how it's incompatible. I may have misunderstood it, though.

bump

I don’t get existentialism. I thought about death for years and now nonexistence simply doesn’t bother me.

Didn't Dosto find genuine faith and become a Christian, a REAL Christian? Tolstoy, by contrast, liked certain things about Christianity but never committed to believing in the religion. Tolstoy denies that Jesus is God, for example, and he denies the Resurrection, while I think Dostoevsky accepted both of those things.

Yep. Dostoevsky essentially made a leap of faith despite his doubts (which he voices through his atheist characters) and his personal hardships (death of his little boy etc).

If I remember, his crisis was due to Nihilism.

Freeing his serfs, doing most of his own daily duties in a time and place when some people of his class didn't even dress themselves, giving all proceeds from his final novel "The Awakening/The Resurrection" to religious refugees...Tolstoy was anything but a hypocrite.

His nonfiction far surpasses his fiction. Lest any anons here form opinions from these misinformed posts, read The Kingdom of God Is Within You and/or What Shall We Do, then let's have a discussion.

This. Everyone loves to cite Tolstoy as some profound Christian mind, but let's not forget that he didn't actually think Jesus was God.

Following Jesus' teachings is better than blindly thinking he was the "only begotten son of god who died for your sins", missing the entire point, and calling yourself a follower of Jesus -- a Christian -- without actually, you know, following what he said.

Based

How so? The only reason I've heard it wasn't accepted into any real canon was its origins were murky and hard to pin down. I've also never read any JW stuff, so I don't have any real frame of reference.

Both of those things are reprehensible.

Tolstoy was a fantastic artist but a brainlet.