Reading the bible as an atheist

Hey Yea Forums, I've been getting into discussions with my hardcore christrian cousin recently and she keeps telling me that if I only read the Bible, I'd recognize Christianity to be the one true religion. I very seriously doubt that, because the book seems to neither be a good moral authority nor do it's contents as far as I'm currently aware of them seem like any more than dumb stories made up by bronze-age desert dwellers, but nonetheless I've been considering actually giving it a try.
This curiosity mostly springs from the fact that it's the highest selling book in history and also because a significant portion of people insist that it's contents are actually divine (although I suppose most of them haven't read the whole thing either).
Is it worth the time investment? Again, I am fairly certain that reading it won't make me turn to christianity, so does it make sense to read through the whole book when I really just think they are fairy tales or will I simply get bored? If yes, how long does it take to plow through the entire thing and is there any specific version I should read or are they all basically the same anyways?
Sorry for blogposting, but the context and my motives for reading it might be releveant.

Attached: ESV-bible.jpg (580x348, 65K)

King James version is great

b8

It's not.

I’ve read it all the way through though over the years and out of order.

The New Testament is poetic and touching.

However, you’re already ZOG’d based off your description so you’d be better off reading pride month works and Video game journalism imo.

>Bronze Age desert writings

Kys retard. Just kys. You’re so fucking stupid I can’t even begin to try to correct course.

And no, the Bible isn’t a magic book, it’s a collection of works and biographies and philosophy written by men and inspired by god.

Harper Collins study Bible is best but be weary of the Jewish authors as they mix fact with lie in order to sécularisé. It has the text, theological implications, translational notes, historical evidence of the books origin etc. Excellent and definitive.

But again, many jewish scholars attempting to make it inauthentic and they will tell you that X is false because we only have a 1400 year old copy or Y is false because we have a jar from the region with Z.

Interesting to know but the HC study Bible is at its core a secular/jewish polemic against Christianity. But it’s also so good at explaining historical context, references, etc it’s good. Plus you always want to know both sides of an argument even if the secular one in this case is borderline pathetic.

It's like reading The Silmarillion.

>Not a good moral authority
It's actually the best moral authority.

You know nothing about the Bible if you think it's just a collection of fairy tales. Approximately half of it isn't even narrative writings, there's also poems, philosophical and theological works, spiritual guidance... So yeah just read it man, the Bible in itself may not convert you (it didn't for me either), but understand how incredibly complex scripture really is might get you going in the right direction

u mad

Imagine getting this assblasted that someone dared to question the legitimacy of your myths. Also nice spacing.

>>>r/atheism

Not mad you ‘had the bravery’ to question myths. It’s just pathetic to watch a YouTube educated retard talk down to others because YouTube told him this opinion is smart and that opinion is dumb.

Any retard can be an atheist and then act high and mighty. Your post has the hallmarks of a average IQ moron who never read a single book on the subject yet acts like he’s the next Hume. Like I said, I’m not going to point out to you why you are wrong. I can even argue for the atheistic view but the thing is you cannot. You’re just that ignorant of the actual arguments. You make no points of any worth. You’re going to find this hard to swallow, and probably brush it off, but here’s a tough truth for you: you’re not smart. You’re average at best

>neither be a good moral authority
What book do you consider a good moral authority? And how would you know unless you have read it?

>Is it worth the time investment?
Do you care for engaging with Christians based in an honest debate without YouTube atheist retardation tier arguments?
Honestly, I suspect not.

Get Asimovs guide to the Bible or you'll give up because you'll have no reference to 90% of the OT.

Oh is being atheist still cool and edgey? I thought that fad died 10 years ago

fallen christian here, its message is right, but its path is long. read from the first and last books and it should give you a hint if you require what lay between.

Looks like someone over there is enlightened by their own intelligence.

Any retard can be a Christian and then act high and mighty. Your post has the hallmarks of a average IQ moron who never read a single book on the subject yet acts like he’s the next Aquinas. Like I said, I’m not going to point out to you why you are wrong. I can even argue for the Christian view but the thing is you cannot. You’re just that ignorant of the actual arguments. You make no points of any worth. You’re going to find this hard to swallow, and probably brush it off, but here’s a tough truth for you: you’re not smart. You’re average at best

Read the beginning of Genesis (pro-tip: we're not in timeout because Eve ate a fruit, learn to think at a higher altitude, these men were writing at a level that years and years of my own personal study have barely, barely glimpsed), Ecclesiastes, Job, and the Gospels.

Shit, I'm not even Christian. but if you still think they're bronze age fairy tales, well. Yea Forums is thataway.

if you approach it from an oppositional stance and expect a divine revelation that will convert you and have you repenting, you will be disappointed and likely remain fixed in your naive (and false!) opinions.

if you go in expecting a series of fables and parables that impart meaningful ethical lessons, then you will probably find it to be enjoyable and enlightening and could open you up to a greater appreciation for the content of theology. you will surely choose the former.

I unironically must say that if you don't have any experience with a combination of prayer and self reflection, then the idea of "thinking on a higher plane" won't bring you any benefits in regards to biblical texts whether your IQ is 50 or 150 or 500

>Yea Forums is the smartest board
>still replies to retarded bait

Start from Genesis and read in order. FYI the last 3 Moses books are dull as fuck. Joshua through Kings is awesome. So are Job and Ecclesiastes. The prophets are hit or miss. NT, Gospels are really but you can skip Mark. Acts is interesting. The rest are letters that are pretty dull, although I do like James. Didn't make me a Christian, but it's mostly a great read.

this is a fair point, and one I usually make with Buddhism, but forgot to here. oh well.

the KJV bible is not a perfect translation but it has some really beautiful and resonant language. It's worth reading just for the references if nothing else.

Read it the way you'd read the Iliad-- as an important classic

>dumb stories made up by bronze-age desert dwellers
Are you even aware of when the bronze age ended? Further more, they aren't "dumb stories" even if you're looking at it from a secular pov there are accounts relating to the history of the region, as well as rules to help you in life. On top of this of course is a deity who can bring you ultimate peace if you only hear him out.
I really urge you to try to go in with an open mind, or at least a less abrasive attitude. Otherwise you will get nothing from it at all and be frustrated that you read it
>Is it worth the time investment?
Yes. I have read the whole thing, cover to cover. It is most definitely worth it as there are some wonderful books within it. You need to read all of it. Some of the books in it tend to be ignored for some reason among Christians, or are at least less talked about, which is a shame
>is there any specific version I should read or are they all basically the same anyways?
They are different. Not just in the format of the English, but different words are used which change the meaning of the texts. I highly recommend KJV. The language in it is beautiful though you may have to look up some of the words
However, if the person you have been talking to is Catholic, you will want to get a Catholic bible as they contain additional books that are not in the standard bible. Those books cover things Catholics believe, like purgatory.
I wish you well OP and hope that you do read it with an open mind and heart. You can get a lot from it

Lost people can't understand scripture.

>you only understand once you join the cult
boi

I haven't read it myself but as an atheist I consider the Bible to have literary value. Therefore, it is worth the investment for you to improve your argumentation. More importantly, it is essential to understand western philosophy which is why I want to read it some day so do it user.

It's literally The Bible. You have nothing to lose by reading it and first-hand experience with history's most influential set of books to gain. And yes, it contains both beautiful prose and incredible ideas. The journey of atheism and christianity is long, complicated, and currently unsolved

Wasn't even aware atheists were literate.

Look at bibblegateway.org and compare translation, I personally like Young's literal translation

>discussions with my hardcore christrian cousin
>hasn't read the bible
based reddit poster

post pics of bible lovin cousin OP

Yea Forums-wise yeah it's worth it, it's referenced all over the place even today. Still it's mostly childish stories with deprecated morality wrapped in baby's first symbolism, so don't expect too much.

So you're essentially wondering if it's good as secular art? Yeah, it is. I read the Bible from an atheist viewpoint a few years ago and it was very worth it. Some takeaways
>The stories are a lot more comfortable complicated than I thought.
The versions we hear are usually watered down versions of the original stories designed to teach children basic lessons about sharing. The actual book is complex existential art.
>Morally it's very complex
I thought it would be a book with perfect heroes and bad guys, where good and evil are forces fighting it out, but that's not it at all. Characters act in morally gray ways all the time, and the book is about exploring that. Also the devil and hell are just medieval inventions, not in the book.
>The boring parts are there, but they are written in a way that is very easy to skim, and the interesting parts are too good and fast paced, so I'd say it's worth reading the whole thing
Also, I'd recommend the New international version for someone reading it the first time. It's very readable and is the closest to the original intended thoughts.

>Yea Forums
>smart
OP clearly smells of soilent and AIDS though.

don't bother even if we found archeological evidence to contradict every single word of the bible, people would still believe in the fairy tales. the bible is the mediocre white boy of books. there are much more enlightening texts out there better worth your time

It's only worth reading because it's referenced so often.
Some parts are entertaining, most are meh at best. You have to be a delusional retard like: To think of it as anything other than another short story collection.

> is the closest to the original intended thoughts.

lol

Asking if you should read the bible is like asking if you should play call of duty. The only reason you're interested in it is because.your family knows it. Hell, I don't think anyone who professes to like the bible actually reads it, isn't that what everybody goes to church for? To have somebody else read it for you? KEK

>Catholic
>reading the bible
Only Protestants read the bible you retard.

>Also the devil and hell are just medieval inventions, not in the book.
What is the book of job
What is wheeping and gnashing of teeth
You didn't read it if you didn't see these in the texts

>implying Catholics don't read from more than the missal

>don't think anyone who professes to like the bible actually reads it, isn't that what everybody goes to church for? To have somebody else read it for you?
Probably bait but it is worth reading , and yes Christians do read it. Unfortunately some don't and give others a hippocritcal lends attached to them

Looking at the etymology of the words, Satan just means accuser(similar to prosecutor. There's no reason there can't be multiple Satan's), demon means thought, hell is either originally Hades (Paul was Greek) or Gehenna, an actual place. Lucifer is also a Greek character, a false god. Wrapping all these disparate ideas into one devil ruling hell is not a single idea in the book, and was added later

>multiple satans
No
>hell is either originally Hades (Paul was Greek)
Hell is mentioned by Jesus (a non Greek) as well as Peter. It is also mentioned in psalms in the old testament as a "pit"
The devil does not "rule" in hell. He is merely punished there

You never read the book, yet you have strong opinions about its content. GTFO, read the book and come back.

You're missing a lot of the meaning in it if you think it's just dumb bronze-age stories. And supposing that the people that see more just haven't read the whole thing is foolish. Read King James version for the prose, find good annotations to follow it with.
One good way to follow it would be as the progress of the spiritual state of mankind in the world over the course of revelation, maintaining consistency with previous sections as its moral vision and view of human nature develops, but that's far from all it has to offer.
This
Asimov's commentary is best saved for when you have some understanding of the bible and want a good laugh.

I am Christian, mostly because I appreciate the New Testament. But reading the Old testament I really have to roll my eyes. Do they really expect me to believe that Adam, Eve, Abraham, Noah, etc lived for hundreds of years? Either they couldn't calculate dates right back then, or they are making shit up. Neither option really helps me appreciate it any better. If they got dates wrong, then it calls the legitimacy of everything else into question. If they made it up, it also calls everything else into question. This is also on top of the fact that the story of Noah's arc is basically plagiarized from the Sumerian flood myth.

All in all, this recent rereading of the old testament is getting me to question my whole faith. Buddhism seems to make a lot more sense

The Bible, Old Testament especially, is held to be inerrant only in matters of faith and morals. So there were original humans that sinned, they did not necessarily live over 900 years. Using a pre-Sumerian tale to tell accurate morals means that Christianity teaches those matters of faith, not the literality of the flood and the descent of animals from those on the arc. Jesus lived, died, and was resurrected, but any incompatibilities in specific stories are not damning of Christianity.