Please reccomend me a translation of the Aeneid which is both faithful (not "lively") and poetic

Please reccomend me a translation of the Aeneid which is both faithful (not "lively") and poetic.

Attached: D8DNrPWUEAEpvdM.jpg (455x513, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jstor.org/stable/3851206
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fagels.

based pic

Attached: lit4.jpg (1482x1599, 359K)

I said faithful, not popular

Has no one here read the Aeneid except for Fitzgerald's obnoxiously ultra promoted translation?

I read it in the orginal Greek, sorry user

dude just learn Latin it's not hard

Dryden or Ahl, take your pick

Dryden's translation is the closest you can get to a Pope translation

Attached: 220px-Alexander_Pope_by_Michael_Dahl.jpg (220x273, 9K)

oh of course, the popular one can't be faithful, suck a cock motherfucker

If it was faithful it wouldn't be popular cause it would be too dry which is what I want

>Aeneid
>Original Greek
B-but user... It wasn't written in greek...

BUY LINGUA LATINA

It isn't, I checked it, neither is his Homer. I said popular because that is why it was suggested, whether or not it was faithful wasn't considered

That's the joke

So one that is completely unfaithful?

Lombardo

t. read it in latin

Yes. It's ironically the most faithful due to it being the only translation with any sense of beauty.

Lombard is not faithful

The Aneid has countless translations, probably THE most translated work of classical literature, how many have you actually read to make such a statement?

My recommendation is learning Latin.

As a girl I phyaically cringe when a guy says he's "learning latin"

What is wrong with Fitzgerald? Nobody reads him in colleges anymore. He's actually a good poet. It's probably the best one to read.

I agree. We should all be learning Old English instead.

Because it's not accurate, you dumb nigger, how many times does OP have to say it. No one cares if he's a good poet if he, like everyone else, warps the meaning of text.

I have read him. It is essentially the Aeneid put into a meat grinder and reshaped into high quality patties

Middle English maketh me to wetten

>As a girl
stop

Attached: 1540961115714.png (337x381, 132K)

Put very bluntly, that's one of the major, if not the major method of translating a text as insanely difficult as the Aeneid. The only way you're going to get anything more than that is by learning Latin, and I'm saying this as someone who has read Vergil in Latin several times. There's a good quote by Maimonides saying that the essence of translation is not to maintain line-to-line or even word-to-word fidelity but to maintain the sense, in the fullest meaning of that word, and every textual context has a different structure of sense and therefore requires a different deconstruction and reconstruction. There is a reason that it's often said that translation is an art in itself. There is also a reason that one-to-one (whether by line or word) translations are extremely rare: every translator who considers doing this eventually realizes, as soon as he actually graduates to being a good translator, that it's a very bad idea. Even Loebs take liberties.

jstor.org/stable/3851206

All translations "warp the meaning." If you're that concerned, learn Latin. You can read Vergil within a few months if you really want to. Protip: You'll be "warping the meaning" yourself, even if you can read Latin like an expert, because you can never train your brain to read or hear Latin as a Roman did, and even a PhD student studying Vergil still needs to have a dictionary and gloss open at all times, interrupting the flow.

>Vergil
It's Virgil

It is faithful, there is no such thing as a literal translation. Read Fagles and shut the fuck up user.