Coffee, cigarettes, and aspirin

Ok. Can someone please tell me WHY?? some authors feel so goddamned compelled to include these three items in their works?

Has anyone else felt this? Stephen King is guilty of this. Tom Clancy is guilty of this. Are they trying to make their stories more real? More hardboiled?

>...Want some aspirin?” “Yes. And a cup of coffee. Can you rustle that?” Although coffee would only help for a little while. What I needed was sleep.

>I got up (even that hurt), put on a pair of cheap sunglasses I’d picked up on my trip north to Derry, and took five aspirin. They helped just enough for me to be able to get dressed and into my overcoat.

Oh, he's really roughing it here. Cheap sunglasses? He probably scrounged those from a gas station sunglass rack. Woah. Probably had a little chit-chat with the cashier too about last night's game (this doesn't actually happen in the book but you get my point).
Honestly, I think the casual swig of alcohol falls into this category of "trying so hard to be down-to-earth and close to the common man that it achieves the opposite effect and comes off as pretentious".

It reminds me of some play titles. "Our Town". Really? Really now? You have that big of a stick up your ass, you prim posh fuck to name a play "Our Town"? The most beige, eggshell, common-of-commons as a name? I swear artistic types really like to put on airs, much like a 25 year old mechanic who keeps an oil rag HANGING OUT of his pocket as a fashion accessory - "Yeah I work on cars, know alot of shit about em'. Make like $40k. Real technical shit, ya hear? Transmissions, check your fluids! Nah, this right hear is gonna need a new carbuertor; lucky you I got the tools on hand to install it. Am I making your pussy wet yet?" - it's the same prancing, try-harding to get pussy shit.

Attached: coffee_and_cigarettes_by_kukuruki.jpg (800x532, 98K)

perhaps the three edgiest items which can be placed in a series without drawing too much attention

Most writers tend to be mentally ill. Substance abuse walks hand in hand with that.

My morning routine is a pot of coffee, a few cigarettes, and 3 aleve. OP, I'm sorry my dependencies brought on by capitalism are too edgy 4u

I drink two 5 hours in the morning, start drinking about 12 usually get in about six beers a day, then I smoke a whole pack throughout the day. I really need to fucking stop.

you're missing the alcohol. Cigarettes and beer go together like pizza and beer, whatever liquor can be substituted for beer also. After a night chain smoking and drinking, whatever character (whose experiences are usually based on the author who is likely to drink and smoke) will need aspirin for the hangover and coffee for the mental fuzz.

You think this is bad? Read "Money" by Martin Amis

>Why do shitty writers have shitty dialogue?

Jesus Christ man

My pre-work routine is espresso (an actual Italian one not the american garbage) with or without sugar depending on my mood and a glass of cold white wine (dry). Its a completely functional mix that can prepare you for the day. Coffee will make you more alert and reactive while wine dulls your anxiety.

you are unknowingly part of g/acc, lul.
They are writers for the masses, so they choose items that everyone knows, and coffee cigarettes and aspirin do not have to be explained, everyone knows how you feel when you want to take an aspirin. A shortcut for describing mental states.
Aspirin is bad for hangovers, nac is the real deal (before drinking)

Don't forget an edgy lack of sleep.
>wow, this attractive young protagonist has a terrible lifestyle yet is still physically fit and handsome.

Stephen King? This dates way back I think

What's so edgy about coffee and cigarettes? Then again I'm from balkan and we start drinking coffee and smoking by grade 8

Also what's with the aspirin? Hangovers..?

While you're sitting there writing what are you likely to be consuming?

No ome gives a shit about your eastern europe 4th world shithole

Except I'm unironically that dude.

Attached: 5CCB4936-F931-40C9-AA35-4A2CFFD9701B.jpg (620x691, 89K)

Seriosuly? I have an espresso with some variation of crème, milk, almond milk, oat milk, hazelnut milk etc just to change it up and then I fast til dinner when I have meat kale. A Red Bull twice a week.

Can’t imagine being a substance fag. Is it fun?

>some authors
Shit authors. They're shit authors trying to fit an everyman protagonist in. Every middlebrow reading it knows what coffee and aspirin does. Cigarettes give the everyman a somewhat-edgy vice that readers still understand, that doesn't cause a divide with them even if they don't smoke, because it remains familiar and has been drilled into their heads as the cool thing to do by a century of advertising.

I adopted this routine after stopping weed and painkillers. The legal vices are nowhere near as fun. It takes practice not to have a heart attack from the megadose of caffeine and B12, and to not faint or puke from the subsequent nicotine and alcohol abuse.

Pretty normal here in Denmark as well, although starting age is higher. I start my morning with 4 cups of coffee and cigerettes, and know quite a few others who do this as well.

Those writers think that by including elements of every day life they're creating a work that is more true to waking reality. It's a weird strategy considering the prose of these writers is usually shit. But hey, as long as it's "real" who cares if it's garbage

Yes after yugo fell apart we went from being leaders of the unaligned (Tito owned Castro multiple times) to irrelevancy

Yes, as a former, or rather, not active heroin addict, I cannot describe how completely I have no appetite for drugs (or alcohol) other than hard drugs generally, but mostly opiates. I used to enjoy smoking the occasional reefer or drinking alcohol in moderation, but you literally couldn’t pay me to do either nowadays. It’s like a switch was flipped where I basically only want to live a productive life or reënter into total degenerate opiate addiction, but nothing in between. The legal (and defacto legal) drugs are just awful - literally nothing can even come close to opiates.

Coffee aids in cardinal work by focusing the mind, and sharpening the senses, with no detriment to physical and psykhical health, therefore, it is sacred, and deserves all of the appreciation that it receives.

I started smoking to pretend to be intellectual
now I'm addicted and still dumb

Attached: 1427149374250.jpg (600x600, 50K)

Slit your fucking wrists