Book Discussions (Pnin?)

Why is no one on this board talking about books? All I ever see are some threads about charts, recommendations, memes etc... Nothing wrong with those but it's weird that those make up the entirety of this board (One might think no one on here actually reads books). Can we start actually talking about books?

PS.: Not a native english speaker.

If there are any books you wanna talk about specifly just post em in this thread. I'd pledge to talk about Pnin by Nabokov but I'd talk about any book really (if I've read it ofc).

Attached: pnin.jpg (690x553, 83K)

What wad his problem?

Attached: 41YAaALyk7L._SY248_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (250x250, 20K)

Attached: 81wwaVyHq9L.jpg (1424x2012, 353K)

whose?

I have questions regarding Moravagine or Berlin Alexanderplatz or Roadside Picnic, anyone read one of these recently?

Pnin's

>Why is no one on this board talking about books?
After the great /pol/eddit invasion of 2016 this is a designated e-celeb and shitposting board.
No one here reads books.

Pnin is the cutest book I've ever read. I love it. It kind of reminds me of The Overcoat by Gogol in how it manages to shift from humorous to sad in the blink of an eye, even though it's mostly lighthearted. And the writing is just fantastic.
As a fellow non native speaker it took me a fucking while to get through tough. I think I had to look up like 400 words.

Understanding the way of life in america after the cold war. Dealing with the fact that his son barely knows him. Dealing with the fact that his ex-wife has a new husband.

Totally agree. Every social interaction Pnin has makes you wanna hug him and go "Aw Pnin" while squeezing a little tear out of ur eye.

Why aren't there enough people to counter-act and create some more discussion threads?

not that recently, but i've read berlin alexanderplatz twice,in german

great - perhaps you can help me understand one thing that remained unclear to me (I read a translation btw). I didn't see exactly why Frantz was kind of rejected by death. I mean at some point he was about to die, and if I remember he accepted the very idea of dying soon (I think he was seriously sick or something), but after a few days of agony he finally recovered. And there was a few pages explaining why death (sort of) considered him not ready - or maybe it was him who finally decided that it wasn't time to die.
Anyway, the reason SEEMED to be that he had not properly understood something yet, as if he needed more lifetime to fully understand it. Did he still have to live in order to become less naive? Learn to live without trusting people like he trusted the bad guy? At some point it seemed that this was the reason, so he still had to live and becomre more or less 'tougher', but at the same time, this idea doesn't make much sense compared to a few other pages. Actually the whole passage when death rejects him seemed to contradict itself sometimes. (should he just learn to be a better person? that would make more sense but it wasn't clearly said)

>>No one here reads books.
Pretty much this, although I’d change it to “no one here reads literature except for one or two dozen meme novels.” There’s of course nothing wrong with these books, but it does get tiresome when they’re pretty much the only ones being discussed, and over and over at that. The majority of Yea Forums, for all its pretensions, seems to be rather narrowly read. I’m a big fan of 19th and early 20th century literature, but for the life of me can’t recall a single decent thread here where anything except Melville or Dostoevsky were discussed. Early 20th century stuff is pretty much completely ignored, except occasionally passing references to Fitzgerald and Hemingway. It’s a shame.

Wasn't it highly ambiguous as to whether or not that was his son, and wasn't it strongly implied it wasn't his son at all. Thus the humour in his doting on him and trying to impress him.

so to answer his question its because you're too much of a faggot to make threads.

I have to agree. My comment on the son was not very well thought through yeh.

Good point. Tho this point has been made frequently on this board no one bothers to talk about other books. Maybe it's not "cool" to talk about other book. Or you have to go with the meme since we are on Yea Forums and so on..

Even the Yea Forums guide to Yea Forums and the recommandation list point to so many more (good) books. And still they wont be discussed on here.

Btw I love the sections where the parents of the kid try to analyze his drawing etc

If people won’t reply to posts within threads, then what’s the point of making a new thread? The other day there was a thread about humorous books — I think this is should have been a good topic — that got about 15 replies before dying. I posted, mentioning Waugh, Philip Roth, and Hunter Thompson and got nothing in return. Again, what’s the point?
Is there any other alternative to Yea Forums?

I don't know any good alternatives. Yea Forums imo gives you a community of ppl that arent afraid to have an opinion. I'd also argue that the scene on Yea Forums is more "alternative" (idk any better words to describe it, sorry) and doesn't discuss books by JoJo Moyes (nothing wrong with reading jojo moyes but its not the kind of literature you can get much out of besides bland entertainment).

I kinda struggle to express my idea here since my english aint that good or good enough.

>that's right, I AM too much of a faggot to make threads
>no one gave me a (you) in the weekly funny books thread...

>The other day there was a thread about humorous books — I think this is should have been a good topic — that got about 15 replies before dying.
the better a thread, the faster it dies
I wonder if the monthly sci-fi threads could serve as a useful example. Topics like funny books, or short stories in general, or even Dostoevski since everybody keeps discussing him, would be easier to discuss in a big monthly thread than in the same short threads dying after 2 days and being posted again the day after.

this is true, no good website to do so tho

I actually read Pnin 2 weeks ago. It was OK.

what did you (not) like?

We make meme quotes from Nab.
We don't actually read his books.

Attached: nabokov.jpg (961x826, 128K)

;( but also :)

I think Pnin was a bit undertone for Nabokov. I get the exiled professor and nostalgia and being misplaced, etc. - but was there anything more this time? Structure wise it was not as creative as his other books, in my opinion.