Can u learn a language by just translating your writings into said language?

can u learn a language by just translating your writings into said language?

my goal is japanese, but even while I know the basic grammar I need vocabulary.
I find most anime shit cringe as fuck, same as playing japanese vidya, which I don't care.
most weeb shit while I'm interested in it, is just pretty awful on general.

I tried to translate my english prose into japanese and seems like a good exercise, and I'm forced to use my target grammar and I've learned a few words by translating maybe a couple phrases.

It seems a better exercise than reading because you've been forced to recall the words from memory.

Attached: 1555533395828.png (1373x833, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_hypothesis
twitter.com/AnonBabble

translating to and from a language is a good exercise, especially if you have someone who can correct your attempts

constant translation to target, and from target language is how it's taught in universities so I'd say yeah

You need a feedback structure for translation into though. It's possible to trick yourself into creating a lot of vocab-accurate but horrible sentences unless you have someone to mercilessly breakdown your errors in the new language.

I also think that one of the aims of the exercise is to find things which don't translate nicely - like common turns of phrase which don't have elegant equivalents.

No. Ideally you should
>READ
and
>WRITE
Remember lots of yojijukugo, kotowaza, and develop images for the words in your head. You should think in a foreign language like your native language. Write thoughts out in Japanese, not English thoughts in Japanese. There are free domain books: all of Dazai, the historical works, people on the 10,000 yen bills, Five Rings, etc. When you start copying their grammar when you write is when you've mastered the grammar. After you're done with the lit, go read some scholarly journal articles to pad out the vocab. Japanese mass media is good for speaking, but this is Yea Forums u fuk

Nice to find another japanese learner who is indifferent to anime and vidya

wouldn't reading be more important and effective than writing?

Writing is more involving, so it's more important

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_hypothesis

I don't write much in japanese, but I still managed to learn the language without doing so

>I find most anime shit cringe as fuck, same as playing japanese vidya, which I don't care.
>most weeb shit while I'm interested in it, is just pretty awful on general.

why would you learn it if you despise the culture?

I want to sell my weeb shit to japanese otakus.

I still like weeb shit even if most weeb shit is trash.

>why do people learn English when the “culture” sucks

>the lingua franca is the same as japanese
You're not as smart as you think you are faglord

you can use japanese as a lingua franca in japan.

most japs can't into english.

>all Japan has to offer is anime and vidya

dumb idiotposter

>anime&weeb = japanese culture
The point of lingua franca is that people from various countries know it, not just one, you drooling retard

Attached: 1547336645458.jpg (680x695, 34K)

japanese only speakers are 120 million, is not a small language and you can learn it beyond just muh chinese lolis.

third biggest world economy, bigger than european cunts and second biggest music market.

no
t. learned three languages
if there's nobody and nothing to correct you you'll fuck up a lot without realising it

>I find most anime shit cringe as fuck
That's why you're in tard jail.

but you can use it to learn enough vocabulary and later start reading japanese websites to self correct that grammar, right?

grammar is picked up after reading and listening a lot.

Not really. Even with focused practice, help and corrections from other people and exposure to native, proper language every day, learners make tons of mistakes that they just don't seem to be aware of. Is this the first foreign language you're learning?

second after english, I'm just looking for a nice exercise I can practice every day.

even if my grammar is kind of wrong, I'm looking to write in japanese so japanese people can understand me.

perfect grammar is not really a concern for me, since I'm not native.

google translate is really bad.

I'm afraid such uncontrolled learning might create mistakes and bad habits in expression that won't be easily solved after you've gotten used to them. I really think having a teacher, or at least a native speaker to chat with and correct you, would be much healthier and more efficient.
>google translate is really bad.
I don't see how that is related to the problem. Google Translate is horrible, obviously, I don't think anyone would ever consider it as a tool for any halfway decent learning.

Reading is more important for learning, writing is important for retention. Copying kanji til you get it is easy tho. So ideally reading should take more time. Ignore other tards I’m who you’re responding to