Southern

Any good books that are set in the modern south?

Attached: randomcowboy.jpg (802x535, 61K)

I’m a southerner and I can say nothing good happens in the South. The northern industrialist has more or less completed his wholesale destruction of a people. The southern city is filled with northern industrialists and their sons, and the southern countryside is overcome by the sound of a once proud person sucking his last breath.

The Devil All the Time

maybe if you didnt base your economy on slavery this wouldnt have happened :^)

:( I guess im looking for positive fiction then

almost all the books of Cormac Mcarthy.

The Globalists destroyed us all brother.

Southern fiction hasn't been positive since the civil war

Why is everything about the south always portrayed so negatively?

Is it really a giant shithole? Was it great prior to the civil war?

Thanks.

Agreed. OP, you should specifically check out All The Pretty Horses and No Country for Old Men. Both are set after WW2 and capture the fading, but still strong, Texas sensibility and the danger of its proximity to Mexico and the ghostly Old West.
Today, conformity, political correctness, and ignorance of history have made the South much less distinctive from the rest of the country than it once was. The most authentic Southerners are probably rednecks in the woods. I'm not sure there is any literature about them, or if there should be.

Yes, it's a lot like having an ugly wife. The drunker you are the greater it is. Prior to the civil war it was great if you were rich. If you were a cracker it was awful and if you were a nigger it was awful. The culture of the south post civil war corroded until it was all commodified and sold back to us in the form of Belk and KFC. The South is stupid, the poor stay poor, old money families still cling to their country clubs or have disintegrated, Yankees and yuppies get business degrees and work for a bank. I recommend anything by Faulkner and a road trip along I-10.

It’s worth adding that the only good thing to happen to the southern poor in perhaps all of history was Huey Long, and FDR had him assassinated in ‘35.

>the most authentic southerners are rednecks in the woods
>not sure this literature exists
>claims to have read McCarthy
>apparently has never read Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
SAD!

Grapes of Wrath.

Suttree is the obvious answer, if you had to pick just one.

Also lots of John Grisham, if your into that sort of thing.

A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe (pbuh) is set in modern-day Atlanta. Well worth a read.

Attached: 0AF22806-24B1-43ED-B94A-2495153EB9A5.png (183x276, 77K)

Suttree

Southern Gothic is ultra comfy

>southern countryside is overcome by the sound of a once proud person sucking his last breath.
good

Old Southern Money still exists. Go to any state College in the South

>t. Texan or Kentuckian
As a southfag myself, who must live in a much more rural area than you, I can say for sure that no yankee colonies have been set up here.

>southerners forever stuck on the south vs north meme
>the whole weehooo dixie shit is a fake subculture and they're really just lying down like dogs and taking the (((globalist))) dick
>will keep getting mad at some random fuck from Pennsylvania instead of trying to find out where his interests align

reminder that Nixon was from California, Trump's from New York, and Clinton and Carter are both nice good ol' boys.

t. Quentin

South is either ultra-liberals trying to hand gibmedats to black people or nostalgic dumbasses who think getting squashed by Russian landowner tier serfdom is "comfy".

Hostile territory to actual modern reactionary thinking either way.

This
>t. Old Southern (Texan) family but my Dad said fuck being a lawyer and became an occupational therapist instead
Go hang out at Ole Miss for a week and you'll see them.

Oh yeah Trump and Nixon did so much against globalization

Those guys are like 95% LARPers

no

I'm also interested in this- looking for good Appalachian lit, fiction or non-fiction. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter was comfy but I want some some stuff set in the hills. I have been writing about my area and its culture because I don't see enough of this.

Ron Rash
Bobbie Ann Mason
Thomas Wolfe
Lee Smith
Breece D’J Pancake

Thank you friend, that'll keep me busy this summer

>the southern countryside is overcome by the sound of a once proud person sucking his last breath.
phrases like this are why I come to this board

Not necessarily the modern south, but Jim Thompson's books are great.

Reactionary thinking is extremely gay anyway

;_;

Attached: rebelpepe.png (233x248, 41K)

As a filthy Yankee carpetbagger, this phenomenon is fascinating to me, because if anything, I see more larping the other direction
I'm fucking blown away how many >yee yee kuntry hoss huntin n mudridin "rednecks" I see who promptly drive their minivans home from their shirt-and-tie 9-5 to their housing plans and send their kids to private school
It's very bizarre

The thing I notice about literature set in the South is that its NEVER the real south. Whether the author is Southern or not, whether the work is favorable to the south or not, and regardless the time period, its a contrived, artificial vision. A massive trope of a setting the reader is expected to find slightly exotic.

Anybody read Hillbilly Elegy? Any good?

Good
Southern American culture has been cringe since the end of the civil war aside from New Orleans

So what's the RRREEEEEEEEEEAL South then?

Walker Percy is pretty good. Last Gentleman captures mid-20s aimlessness wonderfully, and ties it nicely to southern nostalgia.

You should leave