Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev

What does Yea Forums think of this book?

Attached: F86AF563-6430-4AB8-80CB-71F4031EAEAA.jpg (329x499, 28K)

I bought it to read over the summer. I'm excited. I've been so busy in school studying boring ass rhetoric texts and editing shit that I'm excited to read an actual novel again

>I’m an undergrad who hasn’t read the book yet but give me attention teehee!

Fuck off if you have nothing to contribute, moron.

it's fine I guess
nice love story

I wouldn’t classify this novel as primarily a love story. It’s so much more than that. But, after all, romanticism does permeate all of Turgenev’s work.

as russian speaker i can say that Turgenev was shit. Traislations upgrade he's prose tho, and you can enjoy it, if you can generally enjoy purple prose descriptions

An easy and enjoyable read, but not nearly as deep as you would expect (judging on its theme and 'classic' status).
I'd trust what says

Something bothering you, pal?

>as deep as you would expect
Do you expect everyone to write deep works?

Anyway, the man was the first to capture the type of riddit atheist that has been observed for 150 years now, what else do you want from him?

I preferred A Sportsman’s Sketches to be desu

You are allowed to like both, user.

Fine novel. Bit too formulaic and sentimental for my taste.

Sportman's Sketches is fucking magic. Read it with absolute glee. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow now that you remind me.

>reading book for sluts

hahahhahahahahahaha

They're completely different user.... It's like liking The Iliad and Madame Bovary. Nobodies taste is that diverse.

it's one of my favourites
for me it really captured that time in your life when you come home from university as a new adult and that weird relationship with your parents as you all adjust
it's an incredibly warm book full of feeling for everyone and it makes me happy

>It's like liking The Iliad and Madame Bovary. Nobodies taste is that diverse.
For me, its Spring Torrents

Attached: Dog-has-a-lot-of-Gas.jpg (800x500, 90K)

to be honest it seems to me that he's a bit like Stefan Zweig
Zweig faces the same kind of issue - he's among the most famous writers of his own country but possibly not among the very best ones

>nobody likes both The Iliad and Madame Bovary

Attached: 1557437397259.jpg (239x268, 50K)

I think if Turgenev wasn't Russian he'd have a higher reputation. He's always compared to Tolstoy and Dostoevsky and comes off worse, but then, who wouldn't? If he'd been say English he'd wouldn't be the little fish

Truth, anglos is so pathetic so we can safely say thay realy haven't literature tradition and eaven retardet russian autor would be a gift

Have sex

worth reading just for the satisfaction that Bazarov dies. little bitch

The chamber musician to Tolstoy and Dostoevsky's symphonies, and to Chekhov's melodies. He's under-read compared to the others. His achievement is not less it's just it resembles more the conventional 150 - 400 page literary novel than the more demanding larger and smaller forms. We're saturated with stuff that's like Turgenev.

Agreed. He has the hallmarks of a canonical author, a handful of good and timely books, is distinguished across several forms, influencial among his contemporaries, etc.

What the actual fuck are you talking about? There's plenty of people with good taste whose taste is not narrowed down to one set of coherent aesthetic commitments. You only really need to be that committed if you're a writer.

Okay, now this is epic. Also, fuck nihilists.

His parents burying him was still one of the saddest moments I've read in a long time. His dad tried so hard for his son to love him and it seemed like he never really did.

I'm surrounded by nihilists aren't I?

Attached: 1551785315138.jpg (671x673, 123K)

this is one of the funniest Yea Forums memes