Have you read the big three?

Have you read the big three?
What did you think of each one of them?

Attached: 1453705786910.jpg (1222x575, 257K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s05PD3JTPh1w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pseud books. Dislike them. Pretentious, formidably mediocre and boring. In the undergraduate English curriculum. Hard pass.

Attached: nabokov.jpg (961x826, 128K)

The term 'pretentious' is only used by amateur critics. Notice that no writer criticises another writing using the word 'pretentious' no matter how much they hate it, including Nabokov.

I'm like 60% through the jest. I'm pretty new to lit and really enjoying. I think it's changing my perspective of what a book can be/accomplish.
Is there anything you guys would recommend to read after? I'm really liking the huge narrative and the way the stories slowly become connected.

Let’s put this word in ‘reddit core’

Attached: 1400887121507.png (1044x495, 710K)

You really saved this huh

I read Infinite Jest, which is really at best an introduction to the other two. I had been planning on reading Ulysses next, but I've been reading a few books which are stylistically similar to Gravity's Rainbow, and I might put it in my sights next, but then I'd be postponing my backlog in favor of one of my densest books yet again. Previously I read through the beach scene of Ulysses (incredible but exhausting) and quit, and when I first opened up Gravity's Rainbow I just found it irritatingly overwritten, but I've been reading lots of big boy books and I think maybe I'm ready.

What would make up the pre-Modernism moderns Meme Trilogy? Lately I'm thinking Gargantua and Pantagruel, Don Quixote, and Tristram Shandy.

Lolita, Kavalier and Clay

Not an argument.

I liked GR, although I preffered M&D and Against the Day on Pynchons work.

Loved Ulysses, just loved it. Reread it twice last year. It earns the hype.

Didn't much like IJ, no discernable talent.

You didnt present an argument either you low iq smooth brain

I've read GR and IJ and really love both
I have Ulysses but haven't started it yet

>gravity's rainbow instead of in search of lost time
ya blew it Yea Forums

He liked Ulysses though

Read Ulysses in my native language (not english), it was fun. Sometimes hard, I missed a shitload of the references, but I did not feel like I was missing out anyway, since I am more intersted in language/prose/aesthetics.

Have not read GR.

I am reading IJ at the moment. DFW could write, no question about it, but sooooooooo, so many unnecessary words. And I am missing out on a lot of the text since english is not my native language and there is a lot of local lingo/idioms and so on that I just have no idea what it means. That is problematic.

>The Riddler

Kek every time

Still me. Just wanted to say that I am thinking of giving up on IJ. I am a 100 pages in, but I did not understand 30-40 pages of text as I said: soooo, so many unnecessary words, not my native language so I am missing out on a lot of it, but weirdly enough the prose does not seem forced although it is.

Did I imply I wanted to argue with you?, you now have three panties to choose from, your sisters, your girl cousin or your aunties, hand them over and let me sniff them

This.

>weirdly enough the prose does not seem forced although it is
It's meant to be an articulate yet conversational tone.

I've read U and IJ. They were good.

That was made endearingly
>being this new

1: Read it and totally despise it. Nonfunny, trying to hard to obfuscate nonsense.

2. Read it, appreciate it for what it is, but don't really care for it. Cool experimental kind of achievement sort of thing....not really a good read.

3. Sounds dumb, haven't read.

>I'll never tell
Au contraire mon ami!
Regardez ce image

Attached: 45464249-C10A-47D1-84CF-F13DCB74F8A4.jpg (3024x4032, 3.55M)

>Keeping IJ instead of Gravity's Rainbow
So...what was the page you gave up on?

Ulysses is legit great and GR is really good.

IJ is absolute shit; it's only considered a classic by dumbass white american pseuds who fell for one of the biggest marketing pushes of the last century.

Nah

Haven’t read a single one

I expected to hate all three because of the Yea Forums memes but honestly they're incredibly fun books to read. People need to separate the fan base from the actual work itself. Yes, there are cringey reddit-core fags who use the books to compensate for their small dicks, but if you actually read them, aside from any intellectualism, they're just fun/funny books. Absolutely loved all three

Which one is the easiest to read for someone who hasn't fallen for any Yea Forums memes yet?

this is as it should be

Infinite Jest.

Good writer. :)

You have any other writers who have this conversational tone?

I've been shilling Tristram Shandy regularly lately but it's an 18th century English scholasticism type conversational tone (paired with an incredibly dry sense of humor) so if accessibility is a difficulty in Infinite Jest it'd be a greater difficulty in Tristram Shandy.

Attached: Hepburn7_tp.jpg (535x446, 51K)

I tried to give them a chance but I really don't care for postmodern gibberish that's seemingly random. I don't understand the appeal.

Yes, all three. IJ has some great moments, but is way, way overwritten and often frustrating. Ulyssess also has it’s moments but can be incredibly tedious, but it does have more to explore than IJ. GR is one of the most entertaining, funny, and downright Ass Blasting books I’ve ever read. It’s difficult but a lot of fun. The only one of the three that I wanted to reread after finishing.

IJ was exactly what I expected it to be - heavily relatable to present day issues but attacking larger concepts as well. DFW's prose is hilarious (and dare I say beautiful). I liked it

Ulysses - this is the best thing I've ever read. It will make you feel things no other novel will accomplish

GR - haven't read this yet, but I've read M&D and IV. I dunno how to feel about pynchon, his novels seem more suited for film somehow. One of the greatest inventors of environment, though. I might give GR a shot this summer.

Attached: 1538714420533.gif (400x300, 1000K)

>reading Infinite Jest as a filthy esl

Attached: 9B1D7190-4573-4D97-9D7E-8F727F92C2CE.jpg (680x457, 50K)

Yeah, man, it is a shame. I felt the same way about FW. Hell, even sadder because I just love what Joyce did with the book. I completely understand what was he pointing at. However, being an ESL and not having any contact whatsoever with Irish folkore, myth and language just ruins the experience.

Until the extremely recent waves of literal newfags redditors these three books were generally well regarded for years even ifsome people didn't care for them. This
>LE MAYMAY TRILOGY XDDDD
>MEME MEANS BAD HAHAHA
>wow I shitposted about these books for 3 months but its actually good #controversialopinion
Mentality is very new.

tl;dr you have to go back.

GR - too dense, but at times utterly moving and sad although in a way i find difficult to articulate, also some of the funniest scenes I’ve ever read along with some of the darkest. As a whole it sort of suffers however, the narrative is wickedly complex and the last act is just incomprehensible and I put an incredible amount of effort into trying to understand this book, maybe I’m too much a brainlet idk, I prefer col49 and V

IJ - the 200 page filter at the beginning, some parts which drag, the overwriting are all quite meaningful if taken as a statement of his philosophy — boredom, instant gratification, novelty etc., or perhaps it’s just a convenient way to excuse bad writing. I’ve read a lot of his short stories and they don’t seem to suffer from this, quite the opposite even, so I tend to think it was a purposeful stylistic choice. What GR failed at IJ did better, the narrative is meandering and complex but the pieces all begin to fall together the farther you push into the book, while reading this there was a certain point, maybe a third through, when this started happening. What is really impressive is all of the little side stories manage to be just as moving, and important as the main plots, and how well both Hal and Gately’s story merged towards the ending. Yeh he’s unnecessarily wordy but fuck this was a good story. Many of the scenes were very visceral, sadness just leaking through the words and piercing you. People like to shit on it DFW because it’s a meme, they probably never made it past the filter pages.

Nope, I don't read.

>last act is incomprehensible
slothrop either literally fades into non-existence as his mind finally shatter from paranoia and stress or his identity as a larger than life war hero cartoon fades as he returns to a post-war life and tales if his exploits spread and wind down. Minor characters exit. The narrative of the entire book is finally destroyed when the rocket with Gottfried lands on the theater in act 1
What's not to get?

Ate Infinite Jest
Ate Ulysses
Ate Queers
Luv Pints
Luv GR
Luv Norf FC

Simple as

Do you have the .gif and the vocaroo?

Big three? According to who?

No sir

>some shit for brains non-lurking newer-than newfaggot scores trips with this
Alright lads unfortunately you heard this retard. It's over.

Attached: 1400326004971.jpg (446x362, 23K)

>Ulysses
I read it shortly after my son was born, so the themes of fatherhood and paternity really hit home. I love the commentary on Shakespeare. I love the playfulness of the language. People often seem to overlook just how fun of a book it can be, despite its length and complexities.
>Gravity's Rainbow
I've always had a strange fascination with the atomic bomb, so the subject matter of this novel fell right into my wheel house. Of all three, this is the one that I keep wanting to re-read. What I love most about Gravity's Rainbow is that it makes total sense as one reads it, and is completely absorbing, but it's almost impossible to explain to a person who hasn't read it. It might be my favorite of the three.
>Infinite Jest
Finished it a month ago, so I'm still digesting what it had to offer. If I took nothing else away from Infinite Jest, I can at least say that the novel really challenged me to take a more serious and critical approach toward the role of drugs and alcohol in my life. I'm an English teacher, and it has changed the way that I approach Hamlet with my students.

Does /o/ have an archive? Lemme see

vocaroo.com/i/s05PD3JTPh1w

Attached: 1555972887284.webm (288x360, 672K)

The big three of pseudry he meant

He sucked Joyce’s cock constantly though

isolt is literary radiohead. absolutely soulless drivel loved exclusively by brainlets who think they're smart.

check'd

Attached: coco.png (722x800, 317K)

joyce is a fucking hack

he wrote that meme book where he literally listened to his own farts and tried to describe them using onomatopoeia and you retards pretend he is a literary genius

ulysses: legit fun. even has the feels in the penultimate chapter.
GR: dropped at part 2. no humanity.
IJ: bloated and too dense but has amazing stuff scattered throughout and i came to love the incandenzas.

>Gravity's Rainbow
>No humanity
This is a troll right?

Attached: stablegeniusmemequaternary_2.jpg (693x232, 61K)

>>OP
One plagiarist in there. Can you spot him?

it's funny that IJ had that effect on you too. i'm ~300 pages in and it's caused me to attempt sobriety. i'm at two weeks again after a relapse three weeks in. i don't want to end up somewhere like Ennet House and that's the path i've been on

>Ulysses
haven't read
>IJ
brilliant in moments, but those moments are too sparse to justify the book's length. in a word: overwritten
>GR
B A S E D
A
S
E
D

Gravity's Rainbow and Ulysses are good but not my kind of thing.
Infinite Jest is very aptly titled.

I've been on Yea Forums for over 6 years, still haven't read a single text by these writers, beside Joyce's fart letters.

fag

And you're proud of this?

LOL, saved.
No, I read Brief Interviews and Lot 49 both of which I liked at the time I read them.

In a way, yes. I will read them eventually, of course, but right now I have a lot of other more important and more interesting works to read.

I don't know dude, GR's pretty interesting

After I've been hearing about it for years and seen all the memes, it's just... eh. It became more of a furniture that you don't notice anymore than something that attracts attention.

translation: I came here 6 weeks ago and le maymays xP

>hurrrr if you're not a part of the hivemind you're NEWFAGG

bro just read it already