Stack thread

My current core backlog

Attached: 20190510_061432.jpg (5312x2988, 3.73M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OBMwna8pDyY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*sighs* It's okay to read these books while you're starting to learn to read adult books, but you NEED to understand that Yea Forums is a board of intillectuals, who have already read all of those books. I myself have read each one in that stack multiple times. You are a pleb, and you will remain a pleb for a very long time. As you develop as a reader--IF YOU CAN--I suggest you stop all posting.

Attached: 1447116521152.jpg (2048x1357, 1.18M)

lmao post pics or neck yourself you knave

:)

Attached: IMG_20190510_093032.jpg (2448x3264, 3.48M)

Most of this is entry tier

Nice Modern Library book ;) maybe we raided the same dead library.

Thoughts on Lear? I fell in love with Hamlet and reread it a dozen times and watched half a dozen versions this year but I haven't given the other good tragedies the attention they deserve.

I only have the vague idea of John Donne (assuming I'm assuming the right Donne-poet); how is he?

Oh, I missed the Rabelais! I've been thinking of picking that up as a follow up to Tristram, which I love, and which nods to Cervantes and Rabelais more than any other literary figures (as opposed to his philosophical allusions or his poking fun at the controversies of his day), and I still have some dim aspiration of saving Don Quixote for when I can read it in español.

I don't think he ever topped Hamlet, but Lear's one my favorite of Shakespeare's later plays, but I think making Lear's children daughters (Goneril and Reagan particularly) is a mistake--it works in some scenes, but in others it's too contrived to not be distracting. I think Kurosawa makes the work into something even greater because he changes the sexes of Lear's children, but also because he adapts the original play's meaninglessness for a Japanese audience, making
Donne's hit or miss for me, but he's a poet worthy of exploration if only for his engagement with Christian themes.

Where's your stack?

Some of those are high school and college level. good try, champ. you'll get there soon.

>Where's your stack?
I'm OP

>Nag Hammadi

Ew

did you just pile up every book you own?

Books you’ll never read

>IM OP IM OP ME ME ME ME LOOK GUYS LOOK LOOK ME ME IM OP IM OP GUYYYSSS

Attached: DA30467A-4F22-4E83-A9A0-B402ED6206DF.jpg (1078x1360, 116K)

I always wonder what this term truely meant, what do do mean entry tier, so what fucking not entry tier, what he begins with something you don’t deem as entry tier, THE.LN WHAT THEN FUCKINNG WHAT MONGREL, he tread it and entered into the field fucking pussy. Fucking fuck off, die die

I think it looks entry tier because there's only the most famous works of each of the author's, so there's no indication he's read anything by any of these author's before. For example, if someone had Kants Critique of Judgement, you know they've already read some Kant, so you wouldn't call them entry tier

did you ever think that you were trying to hard, and never developed your own taste, having only read what people told you was good.

I picked up a bunch of stuff while I was in the city.
From left to right:
>Lingqijing
It's basically an ancient-Chinese "Divination for Dummies" book. Picked it up because it was the price of a cheeseburger, and I actually know that the translator is a sinologist and not some new-age mysticist hack.
I actually tried using it, and it's laughably simple to get a divination with it. It's a fun little oddity.
>The Rákóczi-epic
A baroque Hungarian epic. I read about it in a large, multi volume monograph, and it seemed interesting. It had a bunch of essays and notes packed alongside it, while the poem itself is around 3900 lines long, coupled into 4 line stanzas. I expected some fun rhymes, but so far it seems a bit forced.

>Fyodor Mikhailovich Nietzky
It's a book on Nietzsche's later philosophy, and his interpretation of Dostoevsky's *Demons*, hence the title.
I had the chance to read parts of it a few months ago, and it seemed interesting.

Bottom row:
>20th Century Chinese Short Stories
I picked it up alongside the divination handbook. Though originally this was the one I went to the store for. An acquaintance told me that that specific store has it for a bearable price, so I grabbed it.
I'm mainly interested in the short stories by Lu Xun, Lao She and Gao Yingjian that are included in it.
>André Gide - The counterfeiters
Same acquaintance gifted me it, saying that it's a classic, and is absolutely worth reading. I hope it's good, and by the description, his opinion seems to be true.

Attached: IMG_8903.jpg (3740x2740, 2.87M)

Tranny's being hormonal. Didn't your doctor also prescribe something for the mood swings?

Hahahahaha fucking leave him alone faggot, stop projecting

This response makes no sense.

What if he genuinely enjoys those books?, and it’s too* not to, fucking illiterate cunt

Let me guess, you’re OP?

Attached: 2B9A9B83-B530-4A07-8071-DB19F66B8917.jpg (1077x1246, 145K)

:) my most recent book haul

just got into reading and picked these up over the weekend

Attached: to-read stack (2).jpg (3111x4148, 3.36M)

>DUHH DUHH IM OP AND DISSS UHHH WURTT ISSS ITTTT UHHH DIS REPLY IT MAKE NO SENSE!!!! SPEAK UHHHH SPEAK UHHH SLOWER PLEASE UHHH IM OP

Attached: 181D851A-5C28-4F8C-A285-C8FCF2991554.jpg (763x771, 60K)

How much did that lot cost?

idk my mommy paid :)

dude how rich are you to just pick up such an expensive haul in one go

What just arrived except the Kundera one which I was already reading

Attached: 6F39767A-DAAB-45B7-8499-EE2239743E30.jpg (3264x2448, 1.96M)

parents give me their credit card, they dont care :)

Cool to see people modern man in search of a soul. Jung is interesting, although a bit euro-centric.

I have little to say but effortposting and serious reading is too often unrewarded so you deserve at least one (You). If you like the Gide try Daumal.

The state of Yea Forums.

I'm not OP or the poster you responded to

they're daughters because otherwise there would have been no Lear's master plan to relay on gavelkind to handle his succession. his first plan is actually smart, things go to shit when he gets mad at Cordelia and comes up with a new plan which is shit, laying the foundation to what happens in the play. if he had at least one son, bam, he's the heir, and that's it. but the guy has only daughters, and he kind of doesn't really like the eldest (his favorite is Cordelia), so he comes up with the masterplan. so his children being female is key to the plot, otherwise the actual "tragic" stuff wouldn't happen later. also, their husbands are very important to the plot. king lear is amazing and there's a lot going on with it, but these details often get overlooked because they're not easy to spot. but it's very good even as a basic read, i'll give you that

is that burton an abridged version? seems thin

It's a selection of parts from the full work.

It was a gift. I'm slightly ashamed of it but it'll be my toe-dipped-in-the-water and I intend to follow up with the full Burton if I end up liking him as much as Sterne.

Attached: 029A5A3B-D312-441A-AC55-8B956C2E15FF.jpg (4032x3024, 3.12M)

Nice. Have you read it?

The pic may be upside down, all $5. That’s a hardcove copybook of 2666, the lady was literally just giving it away becuase she didn’t think it was worth anything becuase she had never heard of the book before

Attached: 60F57F4B-4075-4AC3-8B8D-81BFAF5DF774.jpg (4032x3024, 3.16M)

>A Treasury of Asian Literature
Tell me about the book.

Check my Stack teehee

Attached: IMG_20190510_234519.jpg (2421x1487, 913K)

I don't even read any more. I just buy books to post them in these threads.

Excellent taste richanon

Yikes

Based

Imagine reading Christopher over peter

Picked the physicals up a few days ago because they were cheap for good quality, plus I needed the locke for reference for an essay. Kindle came in this morning and has gotten a lot of use so far.

Attached: 20190508_230514.jpg (4032x1960, 2.16M)

Plan to be done by August

Selections from India Japan China and either Saudi Arabia or Pakistan if I’m not mistaken. Plays, verse. Book is a little old but everything is very lyrical and fresh

Local book fair finds, cost 30aud for the stack. That's about 20 freedom dollars.
Also bumped into local sex cult leader cadifor with his wife and girlfriend, complete with slave collars saying shit like "sir I found a nice edition of this, our one at home is falling apart"

Attached: IMG_20190511_1137006.jpg (2704x4056, 2.37M)

youtu.be/OBMwna8pDyY here he is if you're curious

Cost me about 5 dollary doos

Attached: imgbooks.jpg (4571x3305, 3.74M)

He sounds like a pretty happy guy

Is the Modern Library edition of The Arabian Nights a complete edition, or is it just a large selected edition? How is the translation?

Catholic literature

Attached: DCA71100-5F2A-4879-93F2-8819717053F3.jpg (2048x1341, 453K)

>just got into reading so i bought $500 worth of assorted major classic works over the weekend
Yea Forums memed another one

The most Yea Forums post in weeks

It's amazing to me that people still think Christopher is better than Peter.

There is literally nothing wrong with reading assorted classic works. The classics are the classics for a reason.

>Adorno

You have the complete faggot collection of Marx, don't you?

It's Richard f Burton's translation, which seems to be fairly reputable.
It's a selection from the original translation

Attached: IMG_20190511_1309538.jpg (2704x4056, 3.04M)

Read Kokoro asap. You won't regret it.

You and everyone else on Yea Forums

What edition of kokoro is that?

based nyrb buyer

are wordsworth dostoevsky translations really that bad?
I got karamazov and a short story collection from them

>his criticisms also apply to his own stack
>he doesn't realize he's a hypocrite

Attached: 20190510_061404.jpg (5312x2988, 3.71M)

Cool, I love hearing about lesser known epics. Nice stack overall.

My stack mostly consists of books for my courses at uni this semester. Heidegger I read for my own pleasure and Henry James is a possible author for my MA thesis

Comfy picture and based post

why do you read Adorno in English but Schönberg and Houllebecq in German??

Good stack. Would be interesting to know how long it takes you to read all those.

Attached: 20190511_124506.jpg (3024x4032, 1.32M)

What the fuck is that Anatomy of Melancholy?

Attached: IMG_20190511_064903.jpg (3468x1993, 895K)

No fiction books are boring.
You cannot change my mind

Non*

you're partly right. the non fiction books everyone is posting itt are all popsci. it's all Richard Dawkins, Sapiens, and Sagan.

Walden

Attached: stack.jpg (3840x2160, 1.64M)

You should read the two previous books in the border trilogy before reading Cities of the Plain

Attached: IMG_20190511_042603.jpg (652x960, 104K)

I have. They were good.

Not pictured: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, currently on my bedside table.

Why can't more publishers be like Everyman? I mean how does NYRB justify charging £20.00 for a shitty paperback of Anatomy of Melancholy when Everyman sells a high-quality hardback of similar length (eg Montaigne) for 25% less?

And you can almost always find super cheap used copies of Everyman books on top of that.

Attached: IMG_20190511_163532199.jpg (3264x1840, 1.2M)

This one is a relatively new finding, as in, the manuscript was only found in the 20s. Then it was fucking lost again, and it resurfaced during the 50s. Then it was released in 88 in book format.
It kept the original spelling, which makes it look a bit wonky, but it's still readable and grammatically sound even today.
It chronicles the campaigns and deeds of George Rákóczi II, the Prince of Transylvania.

Cool books and I love Everyman but the slightly different designs on all of them is triggering me

Impedimenta. It’s a spanish translation though.

everyone should own a copy of five dialogues. good stuff.

>tractatus

you won't be able to understand a thing

Is the translation in the Five Dialogues Hackett volume the same translation they use in their complete works volume?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-07-20-48-35.png (720x1280, 957K)

>he fell for the cuck-oro meme

wew

Why would you buy a more than 50 year old textbook on "modern" French? Not trying to slight you or anything, just honestly curious as to your thought process on this when there are plenty of decent French textbooks that will actually teach you the contemporary vernacular.

>not a single copy of Mein Kampf in any of these stacks
the brainlet often fears the strongest and brightest ideas

Attached: MKSU_2.jpg (576x432, 48K)

Very nice
Here is my summer stack

Attached: 8248CA7C-3ACB-4AC4-8487-7EE5A415E0C6.jpg (720x1280, 222K)

Yeah, that's why he picks one that caused the total destruction of a nation in a decade.

its not the edition but the tranlsation you should be looking at. garnett is ok but bland, p and V are too literal and autistic. garnett revised is best probably

Attached: IMG_20190418_135311.jpg (3024x4032, 3.39M)

Partial summer stack

Attached: 20190511_225610~2.jpg (3383x1956, 1.07M)

london?

Too lazy to take the books out. I'm more into /his/ lit, and I'm currently reading The Crimean War by Orlando Figes. I have read about 8 books from what I have on here.

Attached: 20190511_224321-01.jpg (2771x1959, 2.72M)

No

>Gargantua and Pantagruel
>Candide
Good choice

>Kundera
Einmal Ist Keinmal, my friend

The Bible

Recent pick ups:
>The Glass Bead Game
>Oblomov
>Bleak House
>The Dispossessed
>Flowers for Algernon
>A Canticle for Leibowitz
>In Search of Lost Time: The Fugitive
>Nicholas Nickleby
>Cat's Cradle
>The Goldfinch
>Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass
>The Ritual
>The Unbearable Lightness of Being
>The Bone Clocks

>all that pop history

oh no no no

Attached: 1557314296673.jpg (512x512, 27K)

Attached: IMG_20190509_043953.jpg (4160x3120, 2.93M)

Attached: IMG_20190509_043910.jpg (4160x3120, 3.57M)

And I left out The Aeneid for some reason.

Soul Mountain is an excellent novel.
Good haul.

Tell how what I have is pop history. Sure, some of these like the Penguin History of Europe series is made for a casual audience in mind but after reading them, you kinda need more background to understand some events or who some people were. Don't be like those /his/ posters who just post that phrase without a reason to call it so.

Mein Kampf has been doctored, everyone knows that. Also Hitler was defeated in both world wars, whilst Churchill was victorious. 'The World Crisis 1911-1918' was a fairly good read.

Attached: 90230.jpg (266x400, 45K)

Great stack, have fun with Sand, it´s one of my favourites!

Stand aside plebs

Attached: IMG_7279.jpg (1728x1152, 1.55M)

Warum Adorno nicht im Original?

you scarred that shelf with the coverless shandy

I'm new

Attached: IMG_1124.jpg (2592x1936, 1.01M)

Fuck why is it upside down