Good

>Good
Esoteric af
Chad narrator

>Bad
Hyperbole-oriented literature

>Ugly
Written by the nigga who designed the oven that bakes pringles

Attached: 519gTXoSdKL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (340x499, 26K)

>Written by the nigga who designed the oven that bakes pringles
Wtf are you talking about that's based. Also what do you mean by hyperbole-oriented?

Severian is an autist who gets by because of his guild's reputation and meeting some equally fucked up women

>Meets woman
>I love her more than I've ever loved anyone ever. She's the most beautiful thing ever
>Next chapter
>Meets new woman
>Okay for real this time she's the most beautiful creature to possibly exist and I love her more than anything else

Ad nauseum

Blame Severian for that. He wrote the damned book.
Pringles man just translated it.

I don't think you understood it, user.

That's because the narrator was a teenage boy who'd lived his life almost exclusively around other boys and shirtless men.
Be glad he didn't catch the gay.

>tfw didn't realise that Dorcas was Cas until the very end

Attached: 1464450766864.jpg (641x773, 57K)

I've read the first book. While I enjoyed the prose and worldbuilding (gigantic cities make my peepee hard), the "plot" never showed up and the part where they spend a 100 pages wandering in some retarded garden looking for sharp leaves or whatever just bored me to tears. Also, that Dandelion-knockoff mummer who won't shut up.

You have to consider it's just the first quarter of one huge big novel

>the part where they spend a 100 pages wandering in some retarded garden looking for sharp leaves or whatever just bored me to tears.
that was my favorite part

Attached: 1462331534115.jpg (640x628, 69K)

the plot only starts making sense in the last book, also the first book has the most straightforward story (Severian doesn't just stumble upon seemingly random shit)

Pretty realistic tbphwy

>the "plot" never showed up
Dude shows mercy
Gets exiled
Tries to head to his place of exile
Shenanigans ensue

It's a pretty simple plot, yo

Severian as a narrator is always trying to draw attention away to his shady shit. Detail is a means of misdirection that he insists is a byproduct of a photographic memory.

It's not a hyperbole, Severian doesn't just understand his own emotions and also lacks empathy due to his upbringing. It's more apparent on a reread, he's capable of noble thoughts and showing mercy but he also resorts to bursts of violence for seemingly minor reasons every now and then. And yeah he also wants to bang every chick he meets.

>tfw for me the plot stopped making sense during the last book ;_;

read urth of the new sun if you want lots of things explained to you

Perhaps that was a bad example, because you've misunderstood me. I'm talking specifically about Gene's style of prose. Every fucking thing is the greenest thing, the tallest thing, the brightest thing &c. It gets tiresome to read.

But still, that's Severian talking. Everything is the greenest, the tallest, and brightest in Severians eyes because he spent his whole life in some weird torturers cult and he's finally seeing the world. The Solider of the Mist and the Wizard Knight isn't written like that because it's a different character writing the book.

Now I just need something to explain Urth

dude fucks his grandma (spoiler)

Urth is pretty straightforward. An angel of God took his soul from being a black hole of death to a literal cosmic white hole of eternal life. Through God's grace, he becomes eternal himself, and leaves a mark on the world - on the thorn from that beach - that time flows around. You just have to remember that literally all of Wolfe's work circles back to Catholicism, and if you read with that viewpoint from the beginning, everything makes a lot of sense.

Bad memory here, who was Cas again?

>the plot only starts making sense in the last book

What's even the point, then?

the wife of the old guy looking for his wife's corpse in the lake of birds

Oh yeah. Thanks.

>shows mercy
he forged the torture orders because thecla said she saw him as a boy

that's just like, your opinion man
but even so, it would have been more cruel to let it go on

in the sword of the lictor he admits he could have walked out with her at any time (right before he finds that house where the alzabo shows up) before the torture. severian is irredeemable and thecla is the jesus figure (reborn in severian)

Hard to say that Severian is so much better than him when Thecla whipped prisoners in the antechamber for fun.

hard to say thecla is better than severian rather.
it's part of the point of the story that severian isn't always good

He literally didn’t. Where do people get this from?

he's refeering to this passage
"I told him I had something to do first, and went to Master Gurloes's study. He was absent, as I had hoped he would be, and among the papers on his table I found what I had, in some fashion I cannot explain, known would be there: an order for Thecla's excruciation"
the idea is that he was trying to show off that he was a big boy torturer to Thecla and she just called him a rather sweet boy.

whipping prisoners can easily be forgiven after later saving dying children and shit. killing a woman cause she called you a boy instead of a man aint redeemable.

She tortured prisoners for fun while Severian rather quickly regretted his decision. IDK if it's ever said how she felt about it.

It’s still a pretty big stretch to conclude that Severain wrote that order. Especially when there’s evidence later in the book that Thecla was indeed ordered to be executed and Severain never references his supposedly direct hand in the affair again.

yh i listen to alzabo soup too

People are REEEEEACHING
>13095097
>killing a woman cause she called you a boy instead of a man aint redeemable.
good thing that he didn't, then.