Reminder that romanticism is the peak of aesthetics

reminder that romanticism is the peak of aesthetics

praise wagner ok

Attached: images (42).jpg (461x665, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wagnersite.nl/Schopenhauer/Arthur.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=RMn9fObPH7g
youtube.com/watch?v=zly1EbBbuew
youtube.com/watch?v=t0VKLa8HTvY
youtube.com/watch?v=KTM7E4-DN0o
youtube.com/watch?v=2IjJXVY4j7U
youtube.com/watch?v=gFhQ49qsfIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=kuyvGHEN-1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>literal neckbeard

I agree though.

HOJOTOHO

Are Wagner's libretti good literature?

I call the classical healthy, and the romantic sickly. In my opinion the Nibelungen song is as much a classic as Homer. Both are healthy and vigorous. The works of the day are romantic, not because they are new, but because they are weak, ailing, or sickly. Ancient works are classical not because they are old, but because they are powerful, fresh, and healthy. If we regarded romantic and classical from those two points of view we should soon all agree.

>What Schopenhauer found consistently exasperating about Wagner's style were his characteristic composite nouns, like Felssteine, Felsensaum, Felsspitze (rocks, rocky edge, rocky peak). "Ears!" Schopenhauer repeatedly penciled in the margin in his powerful hand, "he has no ears! the deaf musician." It is the sound of these and other such difficult words that go against Schopenhauer's grain. The implication is, clearly, that Wagner is a poet-composer who is at odds with the building materials of his trade, "the deaf musician." Schopenhauer summed up this criticism in large letters: "Language should be the serf of the master."
wagnersite.nl/Schopenhauer/Arthur.htm

Wagner is peak degeneracy. If you can stand listening to half an hour of unending melody with some vague roving harmony underneath and occasional vulgar brass fanfares, you are sick

Romanticism is the eve of art, prior to its ultimate demise.
t. Hegel

>t. Nietzsche

What about synthwave?

>resolves V to IV
madman

>firetruckshit
It's all downhill after Telemann died

Attached: Dog-has-a-lot-of-Gas.jpg (800x500, 90K)

It's a traditional deceptive cadence (IV usually in second inversion). Stick to literature

HEIAHA

*first

>some vague roving harmony
it's called having shit ears. stick to rap.

The composer of THE BEST Water Music (much as I appreciate Handel)

nah rocks n trees are gay

I was referring to the Tristan resolution at the end.

The Ring's libretto works really well as a drama.

Okay, you mean the climactic moment after the dominant prolongation

fuck off nietzsche

to continue with this sentiment:
>romanticism is an old man feeling nostalgic about his past (or something like that)
t. Spengler

post wagnuh
youtube.com/watch?v=RMn9fObPH7g

Went to a Wagner opera the other day. It was unironically magical - never felt anything like it before.

Absolutely based

hot take:
literature people shouldn't write about artforms other than literature, their criticisms always suck major ass

I can hardly listen to Wagner. It's a rollercoaster of deep emotion and terribly exhausting but when it's over I'm not tired, I feel cleansed and regenerated. Anybody can relate to this feel?

people are either bored or enraptured almost to death by Wagner and there doesn't seem to be an in-between. you really can't be indifferent to him.

I just feel exhausted. Unfortunately, his greatest moments are scattered among hours of esoteric, formless, non-functional autism

and so fascism is the old man born anew, experiencing his past, as if it were just as great as he romanticized it?

I listened to Beethoven's 9th on too much LSD the other day and holy shit it was transcendent. I really don't know why people kept making music after that.

tristan is genuinely revolutionary but if you like wagner stockhausen's licht cycle is the same thing but ten times more

Hoffman is not too bad, although he was a composer on the side.

>Find Wagner unlistenable hamfisted garbage
>Brother got Bayreuth tickets
What do I do bros

Attached: raccoon.jpg (626x625, 112K)

TELL HIM THE TRUTH: THAT YOU ARE AN AESTHETICALLY IMPAIRED BRUTE.

steal them and give them to me

This is probably bait, but if you’re serious, then you should unironically go hang yourself.

MUH EXALTED EMOUSHUNS
SO DEEP
*firetruck siren*
>oh my fuck nature is so beautiful
>ablooo me sad
*literally undermines the western cannon and rules of aesthetics that have existed since ancient Greece*

>cannon

>being a newfag

Objectively true. Contrary to what plebs and stormfags maintain to believe, Wagner had a pretty basic understanding of harmony, just a bad ear. Just listen to Ring der Nibelungen, it's a slurry, tasteless mush of notes. Crude, primitive music. There have been composers who were far more adept at manipulating harmonic dissonance to conform to their artistic vision. One of them was Claus Ogerman, incidentally a German-born composer who emigrated to the US in the 1950s and did compose arguably some of the most sublime orchestral string music of the 20th century. A proponent of German chromatic late-romanticism like Wagner too, yet his work is just far more skilled and tempered, displaying a magnificent reticence. Plus, he's not a close-minded traditional classical autist, incorporating even (albeit with impeccable taste) at-the-time-contemporary jazz artist such as George Benson. Check out 'Gate of Dreams', very eager to see what Wagner cocksuckers think of this.
Start with this (~10 minutes)
youtube.com/watch?v=zly1EbBbuew
If you like it, listen to this (40 minutes)
youtube.com/watch?v=t0VKLa8HTvY
I cannot even describe my feelings for this music. for me (I am german), Ogerman found a way to collect the essence of grandiose works of german romanticism (at least what little had been left untainted by third reich co-optation), and sow and let it come into frutition in the States.
Fuck I wish there was even a modicum of hope to discuss shit like this on Yea Forums, but there, you'd even be lucky to find threads besides k-pop jerkoffs. Hold me bros

Attached: 19665532_1221430691317481_962817490142671597_n.png (500x458, 320K)

All classical is shit. Listen to something newer

DAMN
Wagner looked like THAT

Attached: herrwagner.jpg (946x1080, 423K)

>Americanized shit
no thanks

I like the first one but the other is just terrible and neither are as it concerns emotional impact even remotely on the level of Wagner.

youtube.com/watch?v=KTM7E4-DN0o

>being a misspellingfag

Your opinion. Still, thank you for the feedback.

Anyone who agrees with this to any extent should kill themselves, which is exactly what every romanticist truly wanted to do anyway

real life vs passport pic

Attached: richard_wagner_jung.jpg (500x608, 139K)

Disregard these plebeians lurkers, they despise Wagner out of jealousy and contrarianism.

what a chad

t. fred nietzsxhshhdc
is this birth of tragedy?

ok retards, nietzsche liked the MUSIC but not the THEMES, ie nationalism, antisemtism and not jacking off (parsifal).

Attached: 1557523569346.png (960x960, 414K)

>not jacking off (parsifal)
Neophyte here, care to expand on that?

Attached: chemicalsPhilosophy.png (996x549, 416K)

nietzsche contra wagner:
>Parsifal is a work of perfidy, of vindictiveness, of a secret attempt to poison the presuppositions of life – a bad work. The preaching of chastity remains an incitement to anti-nature: I despise everyone who does not experience Parsifal as an attempted assassination of basic ethics.

basically sex is natural, part of life and Good, and parsifals use of christian ethics to say sex was bad is dumbpilled and also saying No to life. N and Wagner broke apsrt after this play. Nietzsche however still saw the music as a excellent and a triumph, but coundnt handle it due to themes. see: kaufmanns Nietzsche, theres a good section on this.

>googling is HARD

>something doctrinaire about nietzsche had grated on cosima, but he made a better impression on christmas eve, when she read him the detailed prose scenario of parsifal. "dreadfully impressed", she noted in her diary. wagner had a "sublime discussion" with nietzsche about the philosophy of music, expressing ideas that she hoped he would develop further. these are two facts that should be remembered, since they contradict certain assertions of the nietzsche legend: namely that parsifal later took him completely by surprise, and that he played a formative part in wagner's metaphysics of music. (westernhagen)

wagner saved music from aesthetics.
dozens of "papers" by catladies appear each month about how nietzsche was right about everything.
which camp do you want to belong, choose wisely.

Attached: westernhagen.jpg (1200x1800, 249K)

Hmm, Wagner gossiped to his friends that Nietzsche masturbated excessively...

His Tristan und Isolde libretto is patrician. I'm not sure if it's any good in English.

Nietzsche on Parsifal in a letter
>I cannot think of it without feeling violently shaken, so elevated was I by it, so deeply moved. It was as if someone were speaking to me again, after many years, about the problems that disturb me - naturally not supplying the answers I would give, but the Christian answer, which after all has been the answer of stronger souls than the last two centuries of our era have produced. When listening to this music one lays Protestantism aside as a misunderstanding - and also, I will not deny it, other really good music, which I have at other times heard and loved, seems, as against this, a misunderstanding!

C-could listening to Tristan und Isolde be considered a sin?

Attached: big_1473927875_image.jpg (1280x720, 164K)

it's good enough to be considered so
youtube.com/watch?v=2IjJXVY4j7U

Hitler's favourite

Take the Meistersinger pill

Attached: 1556735748095.jpg (991x491, 153K)

fuck romanticels, who /modernistgang/ here?

>Wagner had a pretty basic understanding of harmony, just a bad ear
there are no depths of depravity and falsehood to which neetchcucks will not stoop

youtube.com/watch?v=gFhQ49qsfIQ

Attached: cub.png (959x526, 18K)

Coetzee btfo of romanticism in Disgrace, try harder

Yes and no. No, when read like a regular text. Yes, when functioning as a part of the whole of his art. Tristan und Isolde is sublime.

Pleb.

I have seen Parsifal, Lohengrin and Tristan und Isolde twice now. Absolutely masterful. Parsifal blew me away, as did Tristan und Isolde. Wagner also gets better the more you listen to him since you start to recognize the leitmotifs. If you go to a Mozart opera (for example) after being so immersed in Wagner's art you can truly see how revolutionary the man was. Mozart is a genius, no doubt, but Wagner's operas are something else entirely. Something transformative. For all of Nietzsche's ill-spirited critiques, he was right when he called Wagner a hypnotist.

Yes! I wish more people knew about this. People are disregarding Wagner just because of Nietzsche fanboyism. The truth is Nietzsche remained obsessed with Wagner (and his wife) for the rest of his life, and Parsifal -- well, suffice to say that he wrote all those vitriolic things about Wagner and about Parsifal, before even hearing ONE BAR of music. It was all based on the published libretto. He heard the music and was blown away.

Attached: Richard_Wagner,_Parsifal,_Nur_eine_Waffe_taugt_(Arnaldo_Dell'Ira_1903-1943).jpg (3505x2185, 616K)

t. cumbrain cope and wrong like the other guy shows in the quote

Attached: cumbrains.png (952x717, 186K)

Reminder that Neechuh was deeply in love with Wagnuh's wife, Cosima. It's especially funny when you remember that Cosima was four times the antisemite that Wagner was, and though Nietzsche would write a great deal about Wagner and his antisemitism, he never said anything about Cosima. Love is blind and deaf, I suppose.

this

Sadly it isn't what it used to. All the great artists who released great albums untill ~2015 have left their melodic origins for edgy harshness.
I wish there were more synthwace versions of non-synthwave albums like this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=kuyvGHEN-1s

I hate romanticism. Fuck romanticism.