Self-publishing

Is Self-publishing a viable method in today's society, Yea Forums? Or has it been tainted by all the early scammers, shitty writers, poorly made novels, in its early days?

Attached: Agatha Christy Q.jpg (660x900, 186K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/AWalkingAphrodisiacByNicholasBlacksmith
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Self-publishing is meme tier and only people who use it are those rejected by agents and publishers. Go with the traditional method.

Really depends how you market it, I've heard a lot of success stories and YMMV. I advise him to do what he feels is best, but the only way self-publishing(through Amazon) works well is if it's marketed right and if it gets a following. Could be wrong though.

>early scammers, shitty writers, poorly made novels,
Was this an actual thing or just bullshit.

Yeah, but you'll need money for advertising.

Some books have succeeded without any marketing.

>agents and publishers
>still sucking up and begging for scraps to the Jew gatekeepers in 2019
wow

Best worst free book out there

Attached: LOLWUT.png (2048x1536, 110K)

What am I looking at

self-publishing means you are your own marketer. No one is going to read your book if you can't advertise in some capacity, typically reviews, interviews, and book signings; the kind of thing a agent/publisher can arrange. If you already have +10k engaged followers on Twitter then you might actually get a better payout on your first self-published book than with a traditional publisher since first time authors usually get small percentages. If you don't have that kind of following already then traditional publishing is the go to for profit/recognition.

archive.org/details/AWalkingAphrodisiacByNicholasBlacksmith

Thanks

>self-publishing means you are your own marketer
Not all of the times.

Self-publishing is a meme. Traditional Publishing is the way to go.

All the time

Outside being your own boss, what are the benefits of self-publishing your novels.

>don’t need anyone else’s permission
>get a bigger cut of the purchase price
>no one will try to tone down the more weird or controversial aspects of your work to try to make it more marketable
>publishers may try to make you do press/tour/etc that you don’t want to do

Anything else is that all of them.

I’m sure there is a very long list of pros and cons that would change based on the author’s personal values, preferences, etc.

Agatha Christie is cute. Cute!

I see you are a man of taste.

I see thanks.

Name one successful Self-publish novel.

Fifty Shades of Grey

That's fanfiction.

I believe "Sufficiently Advanced Magic" was pretty successful and not a bad read all together if you like fantasy and RPG shit.

Attached: 51UTQ+TFQCL.jpg (333x500, 57K)

Shit sounds good. Anymore?

Well, there is a second book currently out for Arcane Ascension which I have not gotten around to reading. For other works though maybe try "The Cycle of Arawn". It's not "RPG like" but it does involve magic and other fantasy shit, and it's self published. Another book to maybe take a look at is "The Shadow of What Was Lost" more of a Wheel of Time feel.
I do agree with most people in this thread honestly. Good self published books are pretty hard to come by since the bar is set lower than regular publishing standards.

I'm still conflicted about it. On one hand, it's apparently written by a fellow Yea Forumsrat, on another, you're spamming it in near ever fucking thread for the last 3 weeks or so.

Also while you're here, could you please typeset it in an epub? I stopped reading after few chapters not because it's particularly bad, but because the pdf occasionaly fails to reflow properly in koreader, and calibre conversion conversion to epub is all messed up. pdf is a printer format, not book format.

>I do agree with most people in this thread honestly. Good self-published books are pretty hard to come by since the bar is set lower than regular publishing standards.
Is this due to the early days of self-publishing? OP and other anons mentioned early self-published novels were scams, poorly made novels.

I don't think that most self published books are scams. I just believe that books that publishers would have turned away for being obviously bad quality are not filtered out when you can just self publish. No one is there to tell the author "Hey this book is really slow and predictable, come back to us when you have rewritten it.". The idea of publishing is to keep the bar set at a certain standard of quality (At least in theory) and to have help advertising your book among other such bullshit.

Free typesetting on Reedsy

Yeah, no.

Pretty sure its not a litrat. He already said he doesnt like literature, like iggy pop saying he doesnt like punk rock. Dont even bother, just an edgy asshole

Thanks, I'll check them out. You got anymore recommendation.

logo apparently published a larger first run with selfie-suicide than nietzche did with his first self-pubbed book. according to logo. but he also has 10,000 followers on twitter

Well, I'm kinda retarded so I read mostly fantasy. If you are OK with that I got a few more but they are not self published.
"Kings Dark Tidings" is a pretty good series about a super assassin raised from birth to be a sociopath and perfectly fit into any role. The main character is extremely overpowered but its handled in a very entertaining way. His main flaw is understanding social interactions (Sounds like a fucking anime plot) but it is actually pretty well written and just a general fun read.
"The Lies of Locke Lamora" is pretty fucking good and is about a group of thieves, very oceans eleven feel, amazing writing.
"Cradle" is a xianxa inspired western book series that is a very rewarding read. I don't know how others would consider their writing but I've found them to be decent and the sometimes not amazing writing is made up for by the fast pace and entertaining fights and characters.
If you are looking for more classic literature then I guess I would throw in "Catch 22" just because everyone knows its good
For science fiction i fucking love "Roadside Picnic" (The book STALKER is based on) the atmosphere and events that Strugatsky throws in there are great.
And if ya want history i'm currently reading "Alexander The Great And His Time" by Agnes Savill, which is pretty good so far.
Sorry if you wanted more self published stuff. I don't have to many recommendation in that area since I don't directly go out of my way to read em. Hope you can find something in here to read.

Who's Agatha Christie

A great writer.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

A self publish novel

I fucking know that, but what's it about.

Dont even bother. Too many narrators, too frenetic, too edgy. Ima better read the stranger by camus

Thanks for the tip.

No problem.

>selfie-suicide
What the fuck?

>stranger by camus
My man.

Self-Publishing is great for e-celebs and erotica artists. Basically people with strong twitter followings and key members of niche yet popular sub-reddits and forums. Social Media personalities have a pre-existing audience and romance-erotica readers are voracious and tight-knit, if you can keep up with the demand and participate in the community eventually one of their taste makers will shine their light on you.

No one is going to buy the kindle version of your self-published existentialist self-insert novella, nor will they be buying Book 1 of the Dragonblades of Blackfire Chronicles if it is self-published. Literary novels and genreshit both require a lot of shilling on key blogs and magazines that have much more stringent gate-keeping than an erotica subreddit. You need an agent for that shit, they have the connections that you do not.

Attached: 1556897934470.jpg (1440x1731, 1.13M)

>Dragonblades of Blackfire Chronicles
Oddly specific.

>Self-publishing
Just post you shit on Yea Forums

No, Yea Forums steals.

It can be. Catching fire will depend on booksellers and advocates championing it. See under: De La Pava.

>De La Pava
Naked Singularity?

>fantasy and RPG shit.
Shit, son. That's my thing.

How can you enjoy that shit?

Should you send a manuscript to a copy editor before you self publish? Or use that money to try get an agent? poorfag here

Attached: 456743735.jpg (900x600, 88K)

Save up money to do both?

He's a wagecuck

Sometimes I like to read for fun, try it sometimes.

No, you brainlet.

>Fun
The NPC refers to so curious a tickle, you wonder if you should spare the rope, that maybe this poster's actually, A-OK, and not a wastrel, a wastoid, a wanker and in all likelihood a wagie, that most dreadful of conditions.

Don't buy into the hype. It's just as hard, if not harder, to make it in self publishing as it is in traditional publishing.

This x 100000. Try to get an agent. Go on. Unless your some xer/genderfluid/non-binary unicorn or an African warlord who escaped a conflict you're probably not going to make it over the transom

>publishing
bro just get a website and upload a copy of your book available for free and ask for donations via bitcoin. Advertise on Reddit.

No.

How do you get an agent?

Search them online?

Better to say that you are the advocate for all of your marketing.
There's no buffer, you are responsible for everything even if someone else is helping you with publicity.

Make yourself a social media account of some kind and dredge up a following that you can sic on your Amazon page. I've known some authors to write fanifiction to get thousands of followers and then they drop their first original book. That's worked well and not so well, depending on what you're writing and if you're shameless enough to out yourself as a fanfic author.

have their been successful fanfic author?

My professor has self published 15 books jfl. He really does enjoy calling himself an author

What's his success?

No success, I think he's mentally ill

At this point, isn't the difference between the traditional method and self-publishing simply that one has marketing money/experience/influence/etc. and one doesn't? So long as a self-publisher has a strong online presence, or can hire an online marketer for that, what would anyone need a 'legitimate' publisher for?

>Fifty Shades
>Self published
E. L. James was approached by, and used, an Australian publisher that focused on turning fanfics into real books. After her book got really popular, it was picked up by a bigger publisher. She never self published.

E.L. James, who wrote 50 Shades of Gray.
There's also Cassandra Claire, who is known now for the popular The Mortal Instruments series (YA novels, I think), who wrote an absolutely immensely popular Draco-centered Harry Potter fic trilogy before getting her own novels.

>E.L. James
She never self-published.

Source?

Read he profile.

Can white males still publish traditionally or are we pretty much fucked? I wish I'd just stuck it out with baseball when I was a kid.

There’s a billion fucking people on the internet. Find an audience and fuck “traditional” everything.

But what if I don't succeed in my endeavors.

Do t let your dreams be dreams.

If you keep writing, then you will have succeeded.

By having connections. You still have to have talent on top of those connections, but knowing important people definitely streamlines the process. That's how I got my agent.

I heard that if you've self published before then all agents and publishers will want nothing to do with you because of that.
Is this true?

Didn't the guy who made Martians self publish but got picked up by a publisher?

The Martian was self published at first, yes.

Nice fucking quads

Also you’re right, if you have a solid online presence then self publishing becomes much easier, if not then go traditional

If you just dgaf about how it sells, self publish it

Yeah this isn’t talked about a lot. If you self publish, that doesn’t mean a publisher can’t approach you. It makes it much easier, actually, especially if you have decent sales numbers

Not true at all. It can help actually, given that your work is actually good