Name ONE (1) good Anglo philosopher

Name ONE (1) good Anglo philosopher

Attached: https___hypebeast.com_image_2016_06_drake-one-dance-alternate-version-popcaan-video-1.jpg (800x534, 43K)

I CANNOT; YOU WIN.

I literally can't

This is actually quite hard

Hobbes

/thread

Hume
Austin
Mill
MacIntyre
Foot

1: the eternal anglo

Also Locke, and Samuel Johnson

our patron philosopher

Attached: whitehead.jpg (390x522, 61K)

Hume.

Attached: 1542471780877.jpg (900x1200, 240K)

What does anglo even refer to exactly and why are you guys so obsessed with that term? Is it just British people?

now OP, remember the rules of these types of threads. When someone inevitably names a good one, you can reply with either
1: >philosophers name
Or
2: one of the standard Yea Forums insults (cuck, incel, bluepilled, etc...)

>I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.

Attached: 2019-05-02-03-51.jpg (1600x1068, 670K)

SCOTS
AREN'T
ANGLO

e-hem

Attached: 1547422399286.jpg (550x711, 317K)

no

second try

Attached: waho.jpg (940x736, 62K)

he is a cultural critic. real philosophy=metaphysics.

Gilbert Ryle
Wilfrid Sellars
Iain Hamilton Grant

Locke, Berkeley, Russell, Whitehead. Shall I go on?

first three are shit

First three are seminal you mean. Philosophy builds on the errors of the past. No one has yet produced a perfect philosophy

culture is part of reality and so the study of it is philosophy

I have

Toynbee count?

Emerson

Peirce
James
Dewey
Russell
Sellars
Quine
Kripke
Putnam
McDowell
Brandom

WHY DO YOU THINK THAT LISTING NAMES IS EQUIVALENT TO NAMING EMINENCES?

YOUR DELUSION WOULD BE ENDEARING IF IT WERE NOT AS PATHETIC AS IT IS PERNICIOUS.

Attached: CARCAJADANI.png (473x310, 185K)

>Hume
was Scottish enlightenment. Many of his ideas were wrong and self-defeating, namely his empiricism and moral ideas.
>Austin
In the same shitty mire of hypocrisy as Bentham
>Mill
One of the worst philosophers ever.
>MacIntyre
Alasdair MacIntyre? Scottish.
>Foot
=shit

Most British philosophers, and definitely Anglo philosophers, suffer from a deluge of self-contradiction and hypocrisy.

See

HOW CAN ONE SEE SOMETHING, WHEN THERE IS NOTHING?

how about you stop being a nigger my dude

so loud

Based autistic larper.

St Anselm of Canterbury

I despise Drake posters

>Many of his ideas were wrong and self-defeating, namely his empiricism and moral ideas
please prove or at least explain your reasoning. it all seemed pretty solid to me.

Adam Smith, locke

David Lewis.

there will never be a perfect philosophy, except maybe New Age Eroticism Part two.

esotericism*

Hitler

Whitehead, James. Hobbes and Pierce on a good day.
Aren't my icons but I consider them good and they are Anglo (not counting Scots or Irish btw). I think most of the Anglo hatred comes from having produced abominations like Locke, Russell, Bentham and Mill. Doesn't mean all anglos are bad.

William of Ockham

What's his deal anyway? He was Important Philosopher in a class I took but I never really gave him a chance

He's the possible worlds guy, right? Or is that Sellars?

Very good but he's Italian. Only got to England late in life and mostly corresponded with people outside England, so I wouldn't call him Anglo. Duns Scot is obviously not Anglo either, especially considering the time he was living in. Ockham is the one noteworthy English scholastic and I should have added him in .

Attached: images.jpg (196x257, 8K)

Patrician af literally barely anybody on this board knows about this man because they are p s * * d s

>dat post name
>dem pokies
>Carlyle-pilled
Patrician tastes from yourself there too user.

Not strictly speaking an Anglo he's a Big Cock Jock

Great stylist, just don't think of him as philosopher. Sartor resartus and Hero worship should still be mandatory reading.
Also he's Scottish but in the 19th century that's as Anglo as any.

true, but if you have a Scot with harsh criticisms of the British Empire, you usually find them to have Scottish patriotic leanings. His was purely on decent and not factional grounds, making me think he was likely a Brit first and not some Scottish Nationalist about the whole affair.

Yes, he was probably proud of being Scottish but equally proud of the Empire as most Scots were because they actually felt involved. Anti-English sentiment in Scotland has only really resurfaced in the last century primarily due to English political decisions doing damage to Scottish industry and such.

He explicitly refers to English events as 'our history'. Probably saw Scotland as a region of England.
He was also an ardent anglo-saxonist and admired the French ('Norman' to prevent Anglo butthurt) addition to the island and had a hard on for Norse culture in general but berely mentions the celtic element of Britain.

this on both counts. he was a brother of the Anglo ( I am English and wouldn't throw out Carlyle like I would most Scots today).

He wasn't an Anglo-Saxonist mate he was a Germanophile. He taught and preferred Goethe over Shakespeare.

He also didn't really admire the French. The entirety of his French Revolution books is just him ragging on how awful it must be to be French.

Robert Burns was one of his examples of heroic men as was Mohammed.

>tripfag
>all caps
>anime pic
lmao stfu & kys etc.

Lowland Scots are

>putting a Jezebel as your name
Here's your (you) this is next level

Your reading comprehension is lacking for both my post and Thomas Carlyle.

lol ok fag

Blessed John Duns Scotus.

Russell brand

Peirce

All this thread is proving is that scots are the masterrace of bong island

Thomas Jefferson.

Hume is Anglo and based

this and GE Moore

The Bard

Attached: DANGER ANGRY WHITE MEN foundingfathers.jpg (500x343, 57K)

That's right, he's the possible worlds guy. David Lewis is probably the most cited and influential figure in contemporary analytic metaphysics. He's best known for his modal realism (the idea that possible worlds are as real as the actual world) which nobody really accepts, however his arguments in defense of his view are really good, and in the process of laying out his view (in his book On the Plurality of Worlds) he talks about all sorts of metaphysical topics, which makes that book very rewarding. He also has some very good criticisms of alternative views of modality.

(Part 2) I should add that Lewis has also done other work in metaphysics. He's done work criticizing conventionalist theories of necessity, he's thrown his hat into some philosophy of mind stuff, and done work on a notion known as Humean supervenience. In addition he has some more curious work, for example on time travel or the metaphysics of holes.

Faggy as ever, trip.

Correct