Digital decay

Know any books that explore the corrosive effect of the internet on the modern mind?

Attached: asking-god-57b1f77a27dc3.jpg (488x563, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h_ZwNUV5NTo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

MY
DAIRY
DESU

Do you do cheese, or just milk and butter?

I think the internet is a kind of pseudo-lovecraft situation. It's not that it's making us dumber it's that it's making us acutely aware of how retarded we collectively are by forcing our conflicting retardations into the same field of vision.

Any books that discuss this?

The Shallows

I believe this is the go-to

I think 'The Society of the Spectacle' and 'Simulacra and Simulation' were recommended to me when I asked a similar question but maaaaaan, fuck 'em. Let the internet ruin humanity.

Concern for your fellow man will get you screwed and God is deaf/d. You live for yourself and no one else.

But these before internet.

I don't know if there's anything more contemporary but they told me they're prescient.

Capitalism causes schizophrenia
Internet causes autism
Video games and social media cause adhd
Mass hyper individualisation causes panic
Culture industry causes narcissism
Pretty chill world

Attached: 1550807721789.jpg (1920x1290, 205K)

BOOKS NIGGER

This too

This is the most appropriate book for OP's question.

Personally I was disappointed with the author's takes on the findings (pretty bluepilled imo) but OP should read it regardless.

Crime and Punishment.

Understanding Media

Bluepilled in what sense? Anything redpilled?

Cringe

Byung-Chul Han has a few books on the matter. The books to read from him would probably be The Transparency Society, In the Swarm, and Psychopolitics.

In a way, I think it IS making us dumber simultaneously to the phenomenon you mentioned. It relieves or prevents us from exercising the learning functions of our brains, since any knowledge needed or expressed is searched and regurgitated instead of learned slowly and in depth. It also facilitates the narrowing of viewpoints and knowledge because it is so easy and pleasurable to stay within intellectually weak and simple confines indefinitely. After all, there is no consequence to not learning anything new. You can just float through the social media landscape on a minute-to-minute basis without any serious affect on one's social life.

at first i thought you meant the eventual corruption and loss of data leading to a slow and painful death for the internet but either way i have no recommendations

Mark Fisher's explanation of hauntology is pretty interesting

"The Society of the Spectacle, although in the majority a marxist bit or word play - amazed me.
The first few pages alone perfectly describe the world we inhabit right now.
We did not heed the warning.

To think he looked at 60's media and actually wrote something that is instructive regarding today's media saturation and internet based degredation

>In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles. Everything that was directly lived has moved away into a representation.

>The images detached from every aspect of life fuse in a common stream in which the unity of this life can no longer be reestablished. Reality considered partially unfolds, in its own general unity, as a pseudo-world apart, an object of mere contemplation. The specialization of images of the world is completed in the world of the autonomous image, where the liar has lied to himself. The spectacle in general, as the concrete inversion of life, is the autonomous movement of the non-living.

>The spectacle presents itself simultaneously as all of society, as part of society, and as instrument of unification. As a part of society it is specifically the sector which concentrates all gazing and all consciousness. Due to the very fact that this sector is separate, it is the common ground of the deceived gaze and of false consciousness, and the unification it achieves is nothing but an official language of generalized separation.

>The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images.

Am I mad for thinking these directly describe the utter nightmare that is social media / the modern corporate internet ?

>corrosive effect of the internet on the modern mind
Lmao you tard you are looking at it entirely the wrong way.

>LEMAYO
Calling someone a retard because you can't articulate why you disagree with them is pretty retarded bab

>Am I mad for thinking these directly describe the utter nightmare that is social media / the modern corporate internet ?
First of all congratulations on the trips. Secondly, who cares?

>caring about trips
Your mind is corroded

It's not corroded, it's clear. It's been clear for first time in a long while. Let the internet ruin them. It's not enough that they have most of the everything but they want what little you have as well, so it that case fuck 'em.

>professes to a clear mind
>writes garbled nonsense like this

>let the internet ruin them

why do you think that spending your time on Yea Forums is any better?

Any book on narcissism

>why do you think that spending your time on Yea Forums is any better?
I'm not saying it is. I'm just glad that I've finally rid of my concern for other people.

The information age has grotesquely backfired, the lack of a singular or at least binary narrative in daily life has caused the loss of a coherent understanding of the world for many people. The majority find their world views advanced or squashed amongst their various social media streams, rarely straying outside of their social sphere despite the alleged increase in connectedness. Credentials are not required of anyone in any discipline. Anyone capable of making a video has all the validity he needs regardless of his foundations. In times past men were given a platform because of their mastery of a given subject, now it is not so. There are now so many conflicting accounts of events put forward that the individual who wishes to know the truth of things must resign himself to madness

I'M NOT seeing MANY RECOMMENDATIONS BATTYBOYS

>BATTYBOYS
People still say this?
We gave you some, fucking read them.

based

psueds will really put the word modern before anything

books will make you autistic and schizophrenic depending on what you read

Jamaicans and roadmen of the UK do.

Wat

Digital Deceit is still fresh, and Invisible Circles as a whole, too.
youtube.com/watch?v=h_ZwNUV5NTo

You have no idea what you just wrote do you?

Absolutely positively trash

Plato pointed this out in the Phaedrus, particularly in the last part where he discusses writing and how it serves as a reminder instead of remembering.

Yea Forums

>it's making us acutely aware of how retarded we collectively are
I think I made a similar point except that I don't think humanity can properly handle how absurd it is. But again: fuck 'em.

The internet doesn't really "need" humans in the normal sense; it's far more efficient to approximate us in terms of pre-established variables and then trigger predictable responses according to whatever's required.

Base

I hate these neo Luddite moanings. The internet is a wonderful tool. You're just a degenerate for using it poorly

How is it wonderful

Indeed, you could say it at each stage of technology. People have suggested a similar situation when maps became widespread as well: "if everyone has maps, once you lose the map, you're helpless." This isn't wrong. But we keep forging ahead as if nothing can threaten the technologies we're creating. The reason I'm particularly skeptical about current technologies (and not only because I wasn't around when writing, maps, or cars were invented), is that the infrastructure on which they rely to function is:
A. esoteric/beyond the understanding of the masses
B. easily destroyed or exploited
C. will cause greater worldwide chaos if destroyed

It IS a wonderful tool; a tool that permanently changes how our brains work; one that operates in a subtly manipulative way, largely out of the control of the majority of users.

I'm pretty bored with the entire internet. I come to look at cute anime pictures, shitpost with you guys for a little bit as a replacement for the peer group I don't have because everyone around me is retarded, collect material, and conduct business and research.

It has its purposes. If you're only watching retarded youtube videos all day or browsing /r/all maybe you're wasting your brain, yeah. it's impossible not to get bored of everything here after a while. same retards saying the same shit 500,000 times.

bump

The internet meme is the perfect example of the flippancy and lack of imagination that dominate modern life. Online communication now mostly takes place through the means of ironic mass in-jokes, hyper-cliches which are trotted out with a kind of vicious frenzy until they are used up and discarded for something "new"

The joke clearly went over your head user...

>ironic mass in-jokes
Normalfags don't even understand half the jokes and just regurgitate them. I mean, we're at the point where people are posting >shadman memes and boku no pico memes.

Which only further proves my point

Access to knowledge provided you're willing to work for it. I memorized the entire Flowers of Evil by reading it on my phone at night and in public transportation. On this board you can easily enough get good recs on mrtaphysics to keepnyou busy for a year.

Film yourself reciting it without a book

I'm not a /hm/ internet gay celebroty user.
But you're right, I'm getting rusty, I'm long overdue a complete recitation.
You're never really done memorizing poetry.

Anything by Jean boudrillard
some of his quotes:
We live in a world where there is more and more information, and less and less meaning

The media represents world that is more real than reality that we can experience. People lose the ability to distinguish between reality and fantasy. They also begin to engage with the fantasy without realizing what it really is.
They seek happiness and fulfilment through the simulacra of reality, e.g. media and avoid the contact/interaction with the real world.

The futility of everything that comes to us from the media is the inescapable consequence of the absolute inability of that particular stage to remain silent. Music, commercial breaks, news flashes, adverts, news broadcasts, movies, presenters—there is no alternative but to fill the screen; otherwise there would be an irremediable void.... That’s why the slightest technical hitch, the slightest slip on the part of the presenter becomes so exciting, for it reveals the depth of the emptiness squinting out at us through this little window.

Attached: 8dsdo4vdf5511.jpg (1280x720, 30K)