Best Latin writers?

Our school system in Europe doesn't teach us anything other except European writers.
Nothing against them, but I really love Latin culture, and there is no such European classic novel that would include some pieces of what I seek (for example Mariachi with man singing serenata under beloved girls window in the night).

However, teach me more about Latin writers in general, name top 3 and their best works.
After that you can also recommend me something romantic, but I don't want some cheap shit modern stuff, I'm looking for Anna Karenina - Latin version, or something like that. Help.

Attached: latin_set__07928.1384293008.1280.1280.jpgc-2_2.jpg (500x500, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_Boom
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1. Virgil
2. Ovid
3. Cicero

Anyone got NICANOR PARRA in English? I have been looking in vain. I am not rich enough to afford a physical copy :/

>NICANOR PARRA
There is no point in reading english translation poetry. English is not designed for poetry. It's an insult to the author.

Carlos Fuentes (Mexico)
Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia)

THE TITLE IN YOUR IMAGE SHOULD RATHER READ: «IBEROAMERICAN», NOT: «LATIN AMERICAN».

WHAT YOU MEAN IS: «HISPANIC», NOT: «LATIN».

THE TERM: «LATINOAMERICA» REFERS TO ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE DERIVES FROM LATIN —ID EST: ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IS A ROMANCE LANGUAGE.

THE TERM: «IBEROAMERICA» REFERS TO ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE, DERIVES FROM THE IBERIC PENINSULA.

THE TERM: «HISPANOAMERICA» REFERS TO ALL NATIONS WHOSE LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE, DERIVES FROM SPAIN.

Attached: E1C6F5CB-42A8-4593-9249-5AEAB1C4640C.jpg (1506x1020, 265K)

based

>Mariachi with man singing serenata under beloved girls window in the night
I may be wrong but this looks very European. Latin-American writers are too funny and/or crazy for that.

>THE TERM: «LATINOAMERICA» REFERS TO ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE [DERIVE] FROM LATIN —ID EST: ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IS A ROMANCE LANGUAGE.

>THE TERM: «IBEROAMERICA» REFERS TO ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE, [DERIVE] FROM THE IBERIC PENINSULA.

I agree. I just read for the metaphors, man. Sorry, Nicanor.

Well there must be some kind of deep love novel? I just want to feel the Latin mood, you know, the haciendas, music, love etc...the things you see in movies. But I also want to learn about cultural elements.

100 Years of Solitude, obvious
The Chronicle of an Announced Death
Pedro Paramo
Hopscotch
The Tunel
Ficciones
La Guaracha del Machi Camacho
Savage Detective
Arc & Lyre

Thank you, they are now on my list.

Are his books really so expensive?

I'd add Neruda too.
Good list overall

What about romance things I'm looking for? Do you know any of these?

>Are his books really so expensive?
yup, in my shit country they're almost 25 dollars on Amazon

>Arc & Lyre
?

Don’t start with Marquez or Bolano. Start with Borges.

>Don’t start with Marquez or Bolano. Start with Borges.
Do the opposite.

Why?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_Boom

There are also good charts.

Borges is more difficult.

That's pretty much the stereotype. Most Latin authors write about deep shit.

I know, I knew that this would be a hard task.
I'll read other works anyway. I just wanted to know if that stereotypical works exist in classic literature.

A lot of yikes ITT, desu.

That sounds more like Mexican telenovelas than any worthwhile literature.

Let's assume OP isn't a retard who can't read Borges.
Are Marquez and Bolaño supposed to make Borges' references to Don Quijote, medieval theology and South American epic poetry more understandable?

Borges isn’t difficult, people act like he’s difficult so they can feel superior. These people are faggots. He drops a few mentions of Philosophers but there’s no real challenge in his text and it’s so engaging it’s fun to read. Read him first because he brought literature from the southern cone into the postmodern era and influenced Marquez and anyone else you can read.

Machado de Assis: Dom Casmurro
Euclydes da Cunha: Os Sertões
Jorge Amado: The death and the death of Quincas Waterbray
The best brazilian books ever.(I am brazilian)

Attached: 1544552857021.png (1000x2000, 2.62M)

Not really, they don't have to actually.
Borges' style is different compared to the rest. That's all.

brainlet post

Would The Savage Detectives or 2666 be a better entry to Bolano?

So we understand each other, op doesn't have to start with Marquez instead of Borges.

?

Yes. Also, Borges never wrote a novel. He was more into essays and short stories.

>Borges never wrote a novel.
WHHHHAAATTTTTTTTTTT? lazy bastard

René Marques

Based Puerto Rican playwright, essaist and short story author from what was known as Generation 30.

His collection of essays is golden, and offers the most insightful and honest view into the Puerto Rican psyche.

Attached: 08012202_BK38CK52GU26.jpg (319x450, 68K)

>Puerto Rican psyche.
kek how irrelevant can a man be

From those two, Detectives.
But overall I think a better introduction would be Distant Star

Based
The only GOD TIER latinamerican writers are Borges and Gómez Dávila. The rest we have written is kind of meh honeslty.
I am Peruvian, and I have to admit I have been looking for decent books for a while now. Sadly, there are almost non existent.
Also what the fuck is wrong with your keyboard?

A PART OF ONE'S HEART HARDENS EVERY TIME THAT SOMEONE REPLIES WITH BANAL INANITY TO A COMMENT THAT ONE POSTED WITH UTMOST SINCERITY, AND EARNESTNESS.

Baby chill

>100 Years of Solitude
>Love in the Time of Cholera
>Aura
>Pedro Páramo
>The Burning Plain
>La región más transparente
>The Death of Artemio Cruz
>The Savage Detectives
>2666
>Nazi Literature in the Americas
>Delirio
>Cuentos de amor de locura y de muerte
>Satanás
>The Tunnel
>Of Heroes and Tombs
>The Aleph
>Fictions
>Tala
>Desolación
>La ciudad y los perros
>Andrés Caicedo's short stories
>Sor Juana Ines' poetry
>Veinte Poemas de Amor y una Canción Desesperada
>Julio Cortazar's short stories. All of them

My favorites are García Márquez and Bolaño, but GM's style turns off some people (retarded people)
Aura and The Tunnel are pretty good places to start, or Bolaño if you want something more postmodern AND pulp.
Leave Borges for when you have read a lot of these.
Also, leave Hopscotch for last too.

>Andrés Caicedo
>Delirio
t. Travelo marica

Argentina has a lot of Italians.

>GM's style turns off some people
I really don't like it when he uses his shit and piss imagery. Otherwise he's a genius.

I would recommend On Heroes and Tombs instead of The Tunnel

Why nobody mentions Onetti. He is one of the best when it comes to fiction.

Attached: 4647.jpg (705x528, 212K)

Still no Parra link. Why must a man beg so much? It's pathetic.

Chúpelo gonorrea
I personally adore every part of his style, but hey, you do you

>THE TERM: «LATINOAMERICA» REFERS TO ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE DERIVES FROM LATIN —ID EST: ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IS A ROMANCE LANGUAGE.
Latin America refers to all those nations IN THE AMERICAS (except Canada) whose language is based on Latin. This includes for example Mexico (Spanish), Brazil (Portuguese) and French Guiana (French). Iberic America includes both the Portuguese and Spanish spaking nations but excludes French Guiana. While Hispanic America includes only Spanish speaking nations.

>Mariachi serenades are very European
The shit you guys say sometimes.

Mexico (since you mentioned mariachis and haciendas so you seem to refer to Mexican culture):
Pedro Páramo (a must read, set in rural Mexico)
The Lightning in August (satire)
Two Crimes (thriller-comedy set in the 60s)
Where the Air is Clear (about the life in the capital in the 50s)
The Death of Artemio Cruz (about greed and political corruption)
Terra Nostra (the Hispanization of Mexico)
Farabeuf (avant-garde)
The Underdogs, Guillotine Squad, Al filo del agua, Cartucho (novels and stories set in the Mexican Revolution)
The Savage Detectives (about poets in Mexico)
2666 (about the dead women in Ciudad Juárez and much more)

I don't know anything with mariachis. I'll research and give you a clue. Sounds good?

Do you have any recommendations for English translations? I am a plebeian monoglot

That's actually a pretty Mexican thing. It's uncommon but not rare seeing drunk Mexican men singing to their beloved women (girlfriends) alongside a Mariachi band. My father certainly did it. It's considered a ballsy and macho move although it could annoy her neighbours if they remain for so long.

* Chronicle of a Death Foretold

Nick Caistor's translation for The Shipyard.

This is it OP.

I'm reading Ulises Criollo by José Vasconcelos and I'm loving it.

there are no mariachis outside of mexico. all the "latin" stereotypes you're mentioning come exclusively from mexican pop culture
this. extremely retarded thread, desu

Sounds good mate, thank you for that list, I'll be grateful for more!
Thank you for that also!
That's great! Thank you!
I'm gonna look for it, thanks!

Sarduy, Cobra

by Octavio Paz, also called The Bow and the Lyre

Hey, bro! Cusco here!

>Our school system in Europe doesn't teach us anything other except European writers.

tough luck then because most Latin-American writers are also White people, anyway here´s my rec

Attached: yo-el-supremo-augusto-roa-bastos-D_NQ_NP_929966-MLA27397504256_052018-F.jpg (600x789, 134K)

>t. faggot

Attached: 1530392537394.jpg (1750x315, 38K)

why is there always the an argentino bitter because is not an eurokuck.

why eurocucks tend to think brown people have "lit culture"?

most latin-american writers are from european descent, whether you like it or not

Attached: paraguayan writer augusto roa bastos.jpg (340x253, 22K)

>european descent

you mean spanish and or portuguese. thats brown people. Yeah brown people have the best literature , deal with it Maxi.

Spanish ain't brown, neither do Portuguese.

How do these asswipes get away with calling themselves "Latin" anymore?

Used to be that Latins were the actual Latins, you know Italian, French, Spanish, etc....

They used to be alright with calling themselves Latino, but now they're taking over the word latin. I don't like it.

when they name shitskins as latino what they really mean is mestizo, which is the correct term, blame the progressive liberals for that

So what is good then? I don't understand mierda...

I've never seen this happen lmao cope harder you endangered whitey

And most American writers are of European descent, yet they're Americans, not Europeans. Same with Latin Americans. So what's your point?

Both of you faggots are wrong.
Boo hoo muh Latin. kys.

Latino is short for Latinoamericano, Spanish for Latin American, you racist retard. Mestizo and Latin American are different things.

All this confusion could’ve been avoided if you guys had just read Rei’s post, you know?

He's wrong, though.

...but he isn’t.

>WHAT YOU MEAN IS: «HISPANIC», NOT: «LATIN».
OP's image has a Brazil flag, so he's clearly not referring to Hispanic nations only. And "Hispanic" also includes Spain.
>THE TERM: «LATINOAMERICA» REFERS TO ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE DERIVES FROM LATIN —ID EST: ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IS A ROMANCE LANGUAGE.
Not accurate. Latin America refers to all those nations *IN THE AMERICAS* whose language is based on Latin. Spanish, Portuguese and French speaking nations (excluding Canada for geopolitical reasons).

>THE TERM: «IBEROAMERICA» REFERS TO ALL NATIONS WHOSE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE, DERIVES FROM THE IBERIC PENINSULA.
Inaccurate again. Should've mentioned those nations need to be located in the Americas.

>THE TERM: «HISPANOAMERICA» REFERS TO ALL NATIONS WHOSE LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE, DERIVES FROM SPAIN.
...and are located in the Americas.

OP should've used Latino (which is short for Latinoamericano, Spanish for Latin American) instead of Latin. Hispanic American and Iberic American are mouthfuls and if you remove the American bit, become inaccurate. "Latino" balances out: accuracy, coverage and simplicity, since the "American" part is implicit in it yet it's short enough.

Why there's always a retard ruining the thread

tripfags are cancer and should be banned

>OP's image has a Brazil flag, so he's clearly not referring to Hispanic nations only. And "Hispanic" also includes Spain.

I like how you neglect that Rei distinguished between what OP means, and what the image should read.

>IN THE AMERICAS

Duh. That’s clearly obviated.

You have no argument. You just want him to be wrong because you dislike him.

I like how you just ignored everything I said because you love sucking tripfag cock. You have no argument. kys.
>That’s clearly obviated
It fucking isn't. It makes it even more vague.

>all these hippie commies

Take the blackpill, read Gómez Dávila and Fernando Vallejo

Latin America is an umbrella term. Don't be a pedantic cunt.

>Fernando Vallejo

faggot homosexual, pro-freemarket, fedora tiping atheist, muh animals are more importan than people.

kill your self.

>faggot homosexual, pro-freemarket, fedora tiping atheist, muh animals are more importan than people.

You are right but he makes me laugh with his rants.

My image was just random choice.
Hm, interesting. Which works would you recommend for starters?

Attached: 1450799619508.jpg (1616x2288, 839K)

Un hombre muerto a puntapiés

For example, I imagine him like pic related when he write something like this:

"Y a mi impotencia ante el horror de adentro se sumaba mi impotencia ante el horror de afuera: el mundo en manos de estas vaginas delincuentes, empeñadas en parir y parir perturbando la paz de la materia y llenándonos de hijos el zaguán, el vestíbulo, los cuartos, la sala, la cocina, el comedor, los patios, por millones. ¡Ay, que dizque si no los tienen no se realizan las mujeres! ¿Y por qué mejor no componen una ópera y se realizan como compositoras? Empanzurradas de animalidad bruta, de lascivia ciega, se van inflando durante nueve meses como globos deformes que no logran despegar y alzar el vuelo. Y así, retenidas por la fuerza de gravedad, preñadas, grávidas, salen a la calle y a la plena luz del sol como barriles con dos patas. Ante un seto florecido se detienen. Canta un mirlo, vuela un sinsonte, zumba un moscardón. Esa dizque es la vida, la felicidad, la dicha, que un pájaro se coma a un gusano. Entonces, como si el crimen máximo fuera la máxima virtud, mirando el vacío con una sonrisita enigmática ponen las condenadas caras de Gioconda. ¡Vacas puercas, vacas locas! ¡Degeneradas! ¡Cabronas! Sacó un revólver de la cabeza y a tiros les desinfló la panza."

>Hm, interesting. Which works would you recommend for starters?

El desbarrancadero, Fernando Vallejo
Escolios a un texto implícito, Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Attached: angrypepe.png (420x420, 137K)

escribir si escribe bien el malparido.

los textos contra Uribe son buenos.

y me acuerdo uno contra Gabo muy bueno.

Como pensador no es muy original, no dice nada nuevo y a veces raya en lo redditor, pero la cadencia, la musicalidad de su prosa es muy buena. Me lo imagino leyendo ese pasaje que acabo de postear con su vocecita y me saca los kekes. No es gran filósofo pero sí gran gramático.

Vallejo es un pedófilo y ateo de mierda, que escribe con el culo

Man, Quiroga is so fucking good
Lo bueno de Vallejo son sus rants autistas, es cierto

Seconding Os Sertões.
It's non-fiction with some elements of epic about a war on a messianic group.
Mario Vargas Llosa wrote a fictionized version of it, The War of the End of the World, I heard it's pretty good.

Pedófilo homosexual, para acabarla de joder.

great chart.

athanasius kircher

Nicanor can only be read in chilean spanish.

The bad girl by Vargas Llosa

Is it like Joyce or something?

What about Neruda?