Reading the Idiot in school

>Reading the Idiot in school
>almost halfway through it
>girl sees it
>"Is the book any good ?"
>"Yeah, it's a classic"
>"Really ? What is it about ?"
>"uhm... it's complicated, there are many characters and I haven't finished it yet"
>"Try anyways.."
>"uhm..."

Attached: 9788807901638_quarta.jpg.444x698_q100_upscale.jpg (444x680, 224K)

I haven't read it and even I can simple say "about a guy with a Jesus complex"

i was reading The Flounder and a cutie in my building asked me what it was about. kms all i could muster was that it was written by an ex-SS

>well it's about this insufferable guy who no matter what the scenario seems to edge on his own destruction, yet slowly becomes a defamation of the society around him, for their cruelty rather than his foolishness.
i don't remember what happened in this damn book either desu. nothing significant occurs really. nothing like bros k or c&p. in any case i don't believe a grill talked to you about any books, let alone that one.

isn't the flounder about a literal magical flounder that passes through the ages in conjunction with man? i bought a copy sometime or another but still haven't read it, how did it treat you in the end? or is that all you can still yet recall?

I was the kind of guy who would read during recess.
It didn't happen often but it did nonetheless.

girls exist in the world and they ask about books sometimes when you’re holding them

Just stop being a bitch for a few seconds and describe Prince Myshkin.

What are u autists on about its a love triangle that develops into a double love triangle as per usual with dosto. Its probably his best book on romantic relathionships. reminds me of pride and predjudice

it is about a magic flounder yes, it’s very very funny on occasion but some sections are horribly sloggish. the main story - the flounder being put on trial by women for having started the patriarchy - is hilarious. lots of sections about eating ass too

i would recommend it but only if you’ve already read some other stuff by Grass, because his other stuff is definitely more worthwhile

hm, if only i would have been queried while i was reading like you were. i would have done the opposite of just shifting my answer but rather given too much of one and driven her off. you should have segued into bat guano or something and then asked for her to take your virginity.

stop projecting your virginity on others

dosty sucks balls at romance.
>muh redemption
everyone knows the best relationships that dosty presented were those of absolute dejection, if there is the respite of another human in the presence of the main character, it better be to ruin his life just a little more and send him further into alienation. i felt the idiot very clumsy if it is as you say, a romance. and i would say that he filled notes from underground, for example, with far more than anything offered by the idiot.
i recall there being something to do with food throughout, like food is a central theme, is that the case?

but i'm not a virgin! i was talking about when this lad or you was in recess and was reading the idiot. hardly an indication of youthful male virility and triumph with the fairer sex.

>"there is a guy that everyone considers an idiot; someone too good and trusty to be true. People try to manipulate him to get to his fortune. The guy however is actually just very very empathic and while he understands the attempts of the other characters to exploit him, he can see beyond their egoism and cruelty. They were expecting a naive do-gooder But he was always aware of their plans. Finally however his epilepsy has the better of him. This is as much as i can day without ruining it for you. I omítted a lot of important things."

Here You Go

The brainlet club has already ruined the thread.

I've explained it to girls. They aren't actually listening or are going to read it unless they're Russian or Russophiles, so just focus on being polite and coherent, but with enough abandon and zest to make her think that you don't think she's fucking retarded.
>MYSHKIN is this swell guy, almost like Jesus in fact, who suffers from a debilitating epileptic condition. He's leaving the care of a sanatorium in Switzerland and is headed into St. Petersburg when he meets
>*gesticulate with your hands*
>This guy Rogozhin who is a total wackjob and obsessed with this girl Nastasya
>*at this point they stop listening, okay it's a complicated book and maybe reading it would be interesting but that requires a modicum of effort like longer than two hours worth*
It's an uneven novel. The plot has some lulls. The endless walking around with Aglaya is kind of weak. Not all of the characters are immediately compelling. But the passages with Ippolit for instance, or Lebedev talking about trains, or Myshkin discussing the death penalty, or Rogozhin being nuts are top notch.

Give it a try.
A sick young impoverished prince named Lev Myshkin comes back to Russia after spending most of his youth in Switzerland to recover from his illness, on the train on his Way to Moscow he meets another man, Rogozin, on his way to get the inheritance his rich father left him.
The prince looks for a relative of his, the wife of a rich general, hoping they'll help him financially or provide him with a job .
His enthusiasm and naïvety conquer the general' heart....

How far should have I gone ?
What details are you supposed to include in telling the plot to a person?
Should have I included Gavrila in the summary ? The Three Daughters ? Nastaja ? The love triangle ? His illness ? Why it's called the Idiot ? The Prince's autistic passion for calligraphy ?

you do realise that dosto's later work is basically trying to prove the underground man and raskolnikov wrong. With the ever increasing importance of christian themes. The idiot is dosto exploring a possible good man genuinly in love. Though the joke being he comes off as an idiot. The other characters are also genuinly in love but they are not as inocent as the prince. If i may ask what do u consider a good romance novel?

St. Petersburg not Moscow btw

hm, well, if that's the case dosty only succeeded in my eyes in slivers of bros k with alexei in terms of fighting the underground man. i felt for example the end of c&p unappealing and would have hacked away the epilogue were i given the chance. in terms of a good romance novel, which i'll admit is not my main interest would be anna karenina. much finer a point placed on matrimony and love than dosty was ever capable.

virgin

You

One time I had an interview for some scholarship foundation my parents forced me to apply to while at uni. One of the classes I was taking (sophomore year) was on Heidegger’s Being & Time and the interviewer said, “Tell me, user, what is that class about?” then put on a perfect businesswoman smile and clasped her hands together, waiting for my brilliant, lucid, and interesting answer. No joke, I was in a Yea Forums meme in real life.

Attached: A0083C0B-B2DE-4804-BE5C-20D4CFC375D4.jpg (350x500, 44K)

russophile girls are unironically the best. I've only met one though, and she was french.

wtf it's easy to summarise even a third through
>there's this guy who is basically purely good and honest and all these rich society assholes take advantage of him but also kinda don't know how to deal with that kind of naive goodness
t. a third of the way through the idiot

Well can you do the same for Crime and Punishment?

Not a good summary, you're not supposed to describe the plot, but to tell what the book is about, which means that you're supposed to recollect what you think the author is telling, not how they're saying it (i.e. the plot).
If you're early on you could say, without spoiling too much, that the book seems to be about a young, seemingly innocent idealist outsider who gets reinserted into a XIX-century Russian society after years abroad. Through his experiences we learn the sociological as well as psychological peculiarities and irrationalities of that day. It features elements of romance that serve as launching pad for wider social polemics, psychological observation, and philosophy.

>What is it about ?"
This question is not supposed to be taken literally, the best option is to tell some themes and motives, and even better is if you tell about your great impression of it, maybe in some kind of personal affair like it's destiny("This book has made me/change into a ...").