/pyn/ general

Today is Pynchon's birthday..

Say Happy Birthday, Tom.

Attached: 235.jpg (193x266, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel
youtube.com/watch?v=9k_TNk2mtTA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Happy BD, Tom. Every weirdo in the world is in your wavelength.

Thanks for everything, Mr. Pynchon, and Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday Pinecone!

Attached: Pinecone Writes Lit A Song.png (1293x700, 203K)

Like Cormac McCarthy, Pynchon is basically retired, huh? Sucks.

Thanks Pynch, I loved GR, V. And Vineland, can’t wait to read the rest of the books.

When he dies his final book he's been writing since 1957 will be published

Against the Day is my favorite. It's mostly just rollicking fun without the modernist pretenses.

McCarthy's working on another book. Pynchon probably is, too. Apart from Roth, I don't think any of "the greats" have stopped writing.

I just finished Bleeding Edge, now onto Mason & Dixon, then GR. Thank you Pinecone.

Attached: A-879893-1519473954-1980.jpeg.jpg (237x300, 8K)

will we get to see photos of hime when he dies?

>McCarthy's working on another book.
He's been writing The Passenger for going on fifteen years now. Random House even threatened to publish it as a two-volume set three years ago. Something does not smell right.

There are pictures of a man who many are 99% sure is Pynchon. Some weirdo either followed him to his apartment building or actually lived in it, I forgot which.

What's the obsession with seeing what he looks like? Not everyone needs to be Stephen King.

He can take his time. Suttree took him ages to write.

>Randon House threatened him

Kek, what was that like? "Write faster ir we'll release your unfinished book?"

Happy birthday, Thoams Pyncoho!
I masturbate to hallucinations I had on LSD!

happy deadday you ugly toothbucked homo

>apart from Roth

i love you thom

So is TCOL49 broadly considered to be the best starting point?

You have been visited by the Pynchon fish.
Post 'turgid and overwritten' in this thread or suffer from paranoia.

Attached: pynchonfish.jpg (1072x1061, 98K)

Either that or Inherent Vice.

A lot of fish dentists in my family so I was pressured into going to college for it. I would rather paint them

Hey Pynfags.

I've read Lot 49, Inherent Vice, and V., but I'm too intimidated to start with Gravity's Rainbow or Mason & Dixon.

What should I go for instead? Vineland, Against the Day, or Bleeding Edge?

Read the plots, decide which one interests you the most, read that. I'm reading Bleeding Edge right now. I recommend it.

>I'm too intimidated to start with Gravity's Rainbow or Mason & Dixon
don't be

dude what? Most of his output has happened past 1990

Vineland is easier to digest and way more entertaining than both COL49 and IV. Go with Vineland first, COL49, V, then IV.

If you've read V. then you should have no trouble with GR, which may be a bit more erudite and obtuse maybe but it's more interesting and better written.

don't start with Vineland, what are you smoking?

I'll probably do that. I already have Bleeding Edge anyway, I bought it on a whim since the bookstore didn't have Slow Learner.

I was just in that GR thread where someone asked what prior knowledge is needed to get Pynchon's references. I'm fine with WW II, but... lightbulbs and tarot cards? How am I supposed to be NOT intimidated by that, knowing that Pynchon can go on and on?

And everything I've heard about M&D makes it sound even worse/more difficult. Is it, really?

>Read V. before IV

Why? I mean, if you're looking to familiarize yourself with Pynchon, you should probably read his "easier" stuff like IV before taking a plunge into V.

>lightbulbs and tarot cards? How am I supposed to be NOT intimidated by that, knowing that Pynchon can go on and on?
Even then there's still Ah yes, the prose The prooooooose. the PROOOOOOOSE
>everything I've heard about M&D makes it sound even worse/more difficult Is it, really?
I'd say Mace 'em 'n Ditch 'em is the less confusing of the two.
Anyway, AtD is in the same mold, so don't read that one to avoid that.

Actually I moved on to AtD after finding GR too dense to start with. I found it easier to pick up because it felt like more of a conventional fantasy novel. That said I still haven't finished the thing

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel
>Thomas Pynchon's 1973 novel Gravity's Rainbow, based on conspiracies and paranoia, has a chapter about the Phoebus cartel.[11] Titled "The Story of Byron the Bulb", it features a fictional immortal light bulb tracked across Europe by the cartel.
That sounds fucking based

Mason and Dixon is much easier than GR. Read M&D. It’s not that hard.

Dude WEED. Vineland is a great starter.

Sure if you want to ruin it

How does he even come up with this shit

>what was that like? "Write faster ir we'll release your unfinished book?"
I heard through the grapevine he was not too happy about them jumping the gun. Unfortunately, my contact got a job overseas. I was hoping she'd let me read some galleys.

Just some inside info I heard. Might be bs. Apparently, Pynchon only communicates with a single individual at the pub house. And that's through his editor. It's just what I heard.

cryptic, that MUST mean he's onto something big!!!

not sure how you come to that. Vineland was a tricky read for me. Still don't know what the fuck all happened in the last half. Inherent Vice is an easy read though not a great book.

TCOL49 imo is Pynchon at his best and most straightforward. Gravity's Rainbow wins out by attrition - there are just too many good pages out of the 760, but TCOL49 is pitch perfect Pynchon imo.

GR is pretty great throughout

There really was an immortal lightbulb, called the centennial light. And planned obsolescence is an evil trick.

yeah it is. I love Gravity's Rainbow don't get me wrong. It's my favorite book by a large margin.

>tfw only have read Crying and Inherent

Which one should I do next?

why does it feel like Pynchon is OP?

I dream about pinchin' his pinecone

>the katje, gotfried and blicero part of GR
What the fuck did I just read

some hot shit

V. if you wanna get serious, Vineland if you want more sixties.

Happy Birthday!

Who was filming katje? This part made me feel retarded

dont listen to anyone in replies. V is the best place to start

It's been a while, but I think it was PISCES/the people who made the schwarzkommando film.
A lot of the book is filmed, the ending almost suggests that the whole book is a film itself

>tfw tarantino rips off pynchon's style and gaddis' dialogue

Tarantino has probably read neither. He pretty much does a commercialized McDonalds version of Godard tropes mixed with B-movie fetishization.

Congrats pynchy :). Don't worry, you did just fine.

y-you really mean it Yea Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=9k_TNk2mtTA
>CNN caught up with Pynchon and he is among the people you have been looking at. At Pynchon's request and after much debate CNN has opted not to point him out in the crowd.

Well? Which one was he?

Attached: 1535220619374.png (626x478, 530K)

@ 3:22. Red hat.

kek

Does it matter who he is? What matters is his plan for the next book.

Lmao theres no way thats not him. If only we had a version with more than 2 pixels

Attached: pynchon.png (639x724, 753K)

im starting with bleeding edge, then mason and dixon. fight me

Attached: thomaspynchon_0517_0454-828x1104.jpg (828x1104, 178K)

Kek

he looks senile, no wonder his lasts books are not memorable

daily reminder: this man’s address is in the archives. still waiting for someone in nyc to scope him out. he sits in the park everyday.

I don't wanna upset dad

>this man’s address is in the archives

how can i find his address in the archives? there´s a billion things there

Happy Birthday. I wrote you a letter but I never sent it.

It’s not his address. It’s the business address of his wife/agent.

>he doesn't live with his wife

Uh oh...

>what is an office

Doh!

the perfect place for an illicit rendezvous

can you not be a cuck fetishist please?

dude where do you think we are?

Attached: 181.jpg (400x302, 24K)

Not your mom's house.

Lonely, Tom?

Will you autistic fags stop with this shit? So what if you do know his address? This isn't some half-retarded booktuber, let the man live in peace.

Read Mason & Dixon next.

I've started with Mason and Dixon, it's not difficult at all. Very enjoyable read, highly recommend.

AtD is awesome for like 600 pages but I think it takes a nose dive towards the end. Great last 50 or so pages though.

not true at all. i read through the norweign article where those pics originate from and found the “classic six” apt mentioned in several sources. you just werent there. confirmed via google earth natches perfectly.

babbys first pynch post.

go fuck yourself asshole. we’re merely representative of the way of the world.

you’re referencing the not bill murray lead. thats years before i got here, and she’s definately retired now anyways.

>durrr let's intrude on a man's privacy despite his insistance

Yeah, you’re 100% right about her probably being retired.

Anywho, pig suit, the bananas, the putrid candy scene, Byron the bulb, the mittelwerks limericks, the suspense of that scene, the Anubis in the Atlantic, The comic book figures, the macaronic lyrics, the fucking Hrerero town-planning, 5e Kirghiz light: I guess what I was trying to say, lots of memorable shit

>"How can this be? Assigning to ev'ry Looking-Glass a Coefficient of Mercy,-- term it μ,-- none, among those into which he has ever gaz'd, seeking anything but what he knows will be there, has come within screaming distance of even, say, 0.5, given the Lensman's Squint, the Stoop, and most of all, in its Fluctuation day by day, the Size of a certain Frontal Hemisphere, ever a source of Preoccupation, over whose Horizon he can sometimes not observe his Penis."
What the fuck does this mean? I cannot understand it.

im on that weird part of Yea Forums again...

wdhmbt

>A thread discussing an acclaimed author on his birthday is weird

It's not even summer and this place has already started going to shit.

>started

What Pynch are you reading, boys? I just started with Bleeding Edge and it's surprisingly comfy so far. It's pretty light-reading and gives me major Inherent Vice vibes, but not as weird.

Currently reading gravitys rainbow, finished col49 and IV. This book cannot have been written by a human.

As the other posters said, Mason and Dixon is easy once you've gotten used to the 18th century talk, which takes maybe fifty pages. Give it a shot, user!

Ditto. Currently reading and enjoying Slothrop's antics.
Pynchon and Faulkner, I think, are spacemen.

Well, this thread certainly helped with dispelling my fear of M&D. I just might give it a shot as soon as I'm done with the big ol' boy I'm in the middle of now.

Even though I haven't gotten through all his books yet, I really hope Pynchon wraps up at least one more before he leaves us, bros. ;_;