Wow, so that was pretty shit

Ive heard nothing but praise for this book and it was just one of the worst books Ive ever read. I guess this does make GRRM look far better since his peers in the fantasy genre are such utter shit.

Attached: download (2).png (1046x626, 970K)

It's just setup, but yeah I was unimpressed. He's introducing things very slowly. It does get better, but not enough to justify the length.

It's embarrassing how bad fantasy is. It's embarrassing how bad modern fiction is as a whole. But it's even more embarrassing how much worse fantasy is to other modern genres.
It seems the premise for an author choosing to write fantasy comes from his lack of knowledge about the world; so he creates his own. And it's as immature as one would expect.
The reason why Lord of the Rings and books by Lord Dunsany were not terrible was because the authors themselves had wide-ranging knowledge that they then applied. They are the exceptions.

Its not just that. Its the characters. The main character, Kaladin, is totally annoying and a gary stu.

the spren is the most stupid shit ive ever read about. You literally have spren about everything, wind spren, glory spren, water spen, agry spren. Like what the fuck, its so fucking stupid.

I suppose. He's more the vehicle for explaining the basics of the world.

Ya but the author could have at least made him somewhat not annoying. Hes the most honorable person ever but has an incredible attitude but hes also the most skilled warrior ever and is going to wield one of those magic swords. Like him refusing to take the magic sword he won was so stupid, its like the author is incapable of writing a real human character.

Of course it's shit, a mormon wrote it. What did you expect?

Ya im thinking that im starting to grow out of it. Ive read all the big ones like WoT, ASoIaF, Malazan and as I get older I find it hard to justify reading thousands of pages of literal fantasy. Not that I would prefer other genres, but henceforth i will mostly be reading non fiction.

What the fuck, OP, I just bought it in a haul. Is it really so bad?

Attached: 572372246135a1546275de2e.jpg (604x496, 40K)

I dont know much about mormons. ANyway, I thought it was going to be the next big thing in fantasy. I liked the ASOIAF books and thought this would also be good. But holy shit it was so bad.

I didnt like it. Lots of other fnatsy reader do though. But really, I really did not like it at all.
What kind of nonfiction? Ive read a few books from former special forces soldiers and tey are pretty interesting. After reading them you find out that these guys are nothing like what the american patriots want you to believe though, They are a bunch of wild cowboys who just want to kill people and go on crazy adventures. There isnt much noble about them.

If you liked ASOIAF, you should give a try to Malazan. It's violent like ASOIAF but with high magic stuff. The first book it's kind boring, but the rest it's awesome.

Sci-Fi is shit and Fantasy is dogshit

>Reading modern fantasy
wew

I feel like all fantasy is actually shit. Tolkien was just so smart that he made it seem like fantasy could be taken seriously

Are all his books so retardedly slow and full of stupid characters? I tried reading Mistborn too and it's just generic cliche shit. And what kind of name is Lord Ruler.

Books are terrible. Reads like an amateur's fanfiction.

is mistborn or stormlight better

it's literally just Naruto without the headbands and the word "ninja". if you really want to read good fantasy, pick up Book of the New Sun

Mistborn is far simpler, for better and worse. Stormlight has the feeling that what you're reading is epic in scope, but at the same time it constantly drags while Mistborn maintains interest. They both suck, but if you have to choose one, I'd tend towards Mistborn for it's conciseness.

Yeah, all his books are just generic cliche shit, full anime battles.

ooo what a pretty picture owo

Mistborn is a fun teenage adventure book. The way of kings in autism book for manchildren

> Malazan
It's so fucking bad. It's like an anime series only dumber that drags on and on without a good payoff at the end. Read this shit when you're like 18-20 preferably because it will get dumber the older you are

So is it good or bad? Anytime I wanna read some fantasy I've been reading some Conan short stories from REH

the second Mistborn trilogy is better than the first

It's very bad. Dont read it.

There are a lot of good reasons to dislike Stormlight but almost each one presented in this thread is complete nonsense and just makes me think it's pseuds at work.

>If you liked ASOIAF, you should give a try to Malazan

People say this but it's not really true. What they have similar is they're both grand stories involving a fuckton of characters and events. Otherwise one is an epic high fantasy in the true sense of the word, while is trying to be fantasy War of the Roses.

Attached: PALE.jpg (1331x868, 193K)

One is an anime show the other is a character-driven fantasy drama

>Not that I would prefer other genres, but henceforth i will mostly be reading non fiction.
well aren't you a big boy

More like big goy desu

>So is it good or bad?
It's almost like people have different opinions or something

>Ive heard
Never trust!