What would the various Ancient Greek philosophers think of the modern world?

What would the various Ancient Greek philosophers think of the modern world?

Attached: alex-jones.jpg (817x613, 42K)

Everyone would find it cringe except of diogenes

Attached: Capture.png (584x545, 54K)

Based AI

>the ancient Greeks never considered their gods to be real
Citation needed

cringe

>So this philosophy, or perhaps simply "philosophy"
holy damn

Attached: 1520191631617.jpg (705x527, 247K)

>athe*sts actually believe this

Bump

diogenes found his own world to be cringe, why would he not think ours was?

>the ancient Greeks never considered their gods to be real
WRONG

They'd probably wonder why the Hebrews stole everything from Plato and Aristotle.

It's true. Read the Timaeus

This hardcore
You don't throw away your best food for the meme

Diogenes is butthurt stoic strawman of a fanfiction.

"greeks" is not the same as "Plato and other philosophers"

The average Greek absolutely believed in the gods. One of the reasons that Socrates was executed is supposedly because we was making the youth doubt the existence of the gods

>What would an extraterrestrial think of the Western world?
What would an extraterrestrial think of that land of people forming the north shore of a sea appellated the Mediterranean, that is confined by a tundra uninhabitable in the extremity of latitudes, and whose oceanic boundaries and grades of steppe form to the west and east its respective limits, which does not exclude certain chains of islands in the former and obscurity of undelineated zones in the latter.

>for the meme
But arent you sacrificing it for the good meme?

Better to describe the Ancient Greek concept of gods as the anthropomorphized forms of numinous concepts. Things like Justice being Zeus or in some interpretations Hades.

Pausanias put off attacking the Persians at Plataea, under favorable conditions, because the animal sacrifices didn't show favorable omens.
Nicias got absolutely reckt because of a lunar eclipse.
The Spartans were late to marathon because they were observing religious ceremonies (their kings are priests BTW).

I'm pretty sure the Greeks took the gods more seriously than you think.

You should reread Timaeus then. The creation of the Greek gods is also there, stop reading wikipedia summaries because it shows.

I'm not saying they didn't take them seriously

Plato still believed in the gods.

how were the ancient greeks, despite being so small in number, so varied in their beliefs?

Attached: vince and mel.png (700x518, 371K)

>Socrates / Plato think it sucks and aren't surprised
>Aristotle is upset
>Diogenes finds it funny
>Hesoid i didn't read enough of

Yeah the idea that socrates' daemon or some philosophical thing was atheist is plausible, if impossible to know. but the Greeks abosultely gave a fuck about the gods

Because compared to most groups through out, greek views and beliefs are constantly anylised through a microscope.

Hesiod would get triggered because modern farmers don't follow his autistic day by day guide

City states developing in a lot of different places, islands, hills, etc. all allowed for a certain amount of autonomy. Various tribes would invade from Anatolia, Macedonia over the centuries etc. and not in like the Romans did to them, they adopted and adjusted local gods with their own. I think Aphrodite and Artemis are older than the Zeus. But people could go around believing in whatever gods they wanted to.
And it wasn’t uncommon for some *brainiacs* to be impious in some degree.

So it was a bit like this secularist world in its attempt to keep the faithful from burning and stabbing one another. Tolerance allows intellectual growth, as it allows some curious children to grow up without the shadow of god(s) to frighten them into complacency

I said start with the Greeks so that you would learn things like this

Attached: AchillesIsVirgin.jpg (1190x1106, 304K)

>in like
Unlike
>the Zeus
?