Can a book be both pleasurable and intellectually stimulating at the same time, or is it simply not possible...

Can a book be both pleasurable and intellectually stimulating at the same time, or is it simply not possible? It seems like half the people on this board don't even enjoy reading, which is fairly understandable, but what makes it odd is that they try to lie to themselves and say it is. No one actually sits down with Hegel and a cup of coffee like some Instagram art hoe and just reads all day. You'd have to be literally autistic to enjoy that, insults aside.
If there are such books, what are they? I was thinking maybe travel/adventure books with anthropology/psychology mixed in would be a fairly enjoyable and interesting combination. Can't think of many examples though, once again showing my point

Attached: 1542768666133.jpg (720x859, 31K)

t. never read books

Anything Dostoevsky, really.

this
you clearly have never read a book

>Can a book be both pleasurable and intellectually stimulating at the same time ...?
Yes, but it’s going to have a leftist bias, which some won’t find as pleasurable

Attached: 95B71A44-33E7-4982-A93A-01B3ADE4499B.jpg (480x360, 15K)

Maybe not all day. There should be a copious amount of thinking to accompany the reading of Hegel. You could also take a break now and again to study your declensions.

You seem to think that intellectually stimulating means non-fiction, which is a bit strange.+ All fiction has something to say about psychology and practically all serious fiction is philosophical in nature.

>I was thinking maybe travel/adventure books with anthropology/psychology mixed in would be a fairly enjoyable and interesting combination. Can't think of many examples though, once again showing my point
Victorian upper/middle class adventurers. RL Stevenson, Richard Francis Burton, Samuel Butler, Charles Waterton, even Baden Powell.

There are plenty of good works of literature that are both intellectually stimulating and "fun".

Materialism is so boring. Why feel the need to spread the faith - so we can achieve the utopian vision of becoming equally compensated worm food?

So I imagine you make posts tonight, even posts like these, with a collar on. How close am I? :3

Lolita unironically

Two witch won?

Read some Pynchon!

I read Crying of Lot 49 and felt neither pleasure nor intellectual stimulation.

The best intellectually stimulating books are the ones that put you in a state of cognitive dissonance, but make sound, reasonable arguments to pull you back in to their train of thought before you give up trying to reconcile your preconceptions with their presentation. Pleasure is rather subjective, so this is would be rather hard to define to give others good direction in their searches. The takeaway is that a reader governed by logic and reason (who is in their elementary stage of enlightenment) is going to find it easier to find sources of literature that are intellectually stimulating. If you are struggling to find books that exhibit both of these properties, let me assure you that it is your inability to find pleasureful books, because anyone still on Yea Forums is not on the upper end of being intellectually enlightened.

Attached: 1554947337984.jpg (491x565, 76K)

yes. a lot of philosophy can be fantastic fun to read. adorno's entertaining, wittgenstein can be fun, a lot of nonfiction in general can be great to read--i read this one book, savage inequalities, earlier this year, and well written journalism (or that style in general) can be a pleasure to read.
and hell, fiction can be intellectually stimulating. moby-dick is both one of the most thought-provoking books in literature and just an absolutely fantastic parade of style and wit. lighter stuff can still be stimulating: the stranger is incredibly light (i finished it in one afternoon) but contains a lot of critical depth, catcher in the rye is a breeze but also a fantastic commentary on alienation in the modern world, and 1984 is a book that any idiot who hasn't read in 10 years can pick up and breeze through but still contains some very interesting commentary beyond just "totalitarianism bad," e.g. language and resistance, psychology and control, icons and worship in a dictatorship, etc. that's just three novels, but there's plenty more like em--all quiet on the western front, their eyes were watching God, stoner, the things they carried, a canticle for leibowitz, the great gatsby, a lot of phillip k. dick--all of these are very light and fun but nonetheless hold the potential for deeper reading and thought.
if you really want to enjoy those dense pieces of shit like Hegel (which i am slowly but surely struggling through), i'd recommend trying to find someone to read it with. ideally a few people. groups always make that more fun and tolerable. reading is fun, thinking is fun, friends are fun, all of them together are a great time.

Leave
Leave

A book is pleasurable if it's intellectually stimulating.
>You'd have to be literally autistic to enjoy that
Nice cope. You're just a brainlet retard so please leave.

*downvotes this*

This, but unironically

Check out Michael Chabon. His books sound like exactly what you're looking for.

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño is the best of both worlds. Same for most Eco novels or even Dostoyevsky.