Do people read comedy books?

ever?

Attached: 1539737195570.png (500x501, 255K)

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

This
Also, "comedy" doesn't really exist in the same way in books. There's no book equivalent of standup, there are just humorous works
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis is a good example

i was going to post lucky jim!
the only book to make me really laugh

do you think though that the reason it doesn't exist in a similar way (or in it;s own uniquely elaborated way) is because people don't read comedy in books so people consequently don't write them?

I just feel like I hear people analyzing largely derivative stories just because they are "serious" and ignore the stories presented in comedies because they are "childish"

I might be projecting though

This is the only one I read, and people here may call it Reddit but it was really funny

It's not really a comedy book, but Mark E. Smith's (ghostwriten) autobiography was hilarious (as well as based and norfpilled).

Attached: Mark-E-Smith_1334833078.jpg (1176x900, 47K)

Imagine something like standup but written down. It wouldn't quite work. You just need to have some sort of narrative to attach it to. Plays, novels, short stories, essays-- they can all be funny, but I don't know what "comedy book" means. Usually people just call that "humor." There's humor sections at bookstores

No.
It's because comedy is mostly about the delivery.

could the need for delivery (intrapersonal interaction) be circumvented with good writing?

This. Houellebecq is actually pretty funny, but you wouldn't call his novels "comedy books".

Yes, it works in Houellebecq because he basically describes some situations like a deadpan joke and that goes very well with his very flat style.

All of Amis' work is brilliant, girl, 20 and the old devils especially

Notes from Underground

Shakespeare wrote comedies, you know.

Catch 22 is one of my favourite books, and the beginning of it up until everything get's fucked is very funny

all of it except 'i like it here'. did you ever read take a girl like you?

Comedy? God, no. Life is suffering and most people are NPCs and I must remind it to my self with an endless self fustigation of every aspect of my being, so laughing is not allowed.
Obviously there's no contradiction in me shitposting on Yea Forums while I see this - not that you fleshpilled slaves would understand

Calvin and Hobbes.

>Italian """""""comedy"""""""

Attached: 61Ml8RHqxrL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (332x499, 46K)

I liked Norm's book. And Tristram Shandy

Was it really ghostwritten? Who was his ghost writer?

Douglas Adams, Catch-22, and a bit of Wodehouse are all the comedy I've read.
pretty enjoyable stuff but I'm never inclined to seek out more for some reason.

Most great works contain comedy. Which author that Yea Forums loves that doesn't use comedy?

hemingway

Blood Meridian is not funny

Portnoy’s Complaint
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Loved One*

*Bonus Evelyn Waugh patrician points, as he’s an author few if any of you poorly-read fuckers have ever heard of, much less read.

eh? everyone's heard of evelyn waugh

Attached: 51GtVd9FVlL.jpg (335x484, 43K)

Attached: asdf.jpg (300x461, 43K)

Attached: 51poEtygF3L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (213x346, 19K)

I read the sequel of this first and it is pretty wild. The concept of zombie butts is silly as a kid but pretty horrifying in the adult mind.

Attached: Hepburn7_tp.jpg (535x446, 51K)

Don Quixote is the funniest book I’ve ever read
Candide is a close second
Some Shakespeare is funny, the funniest imo is Comedy of Errors

Pynchon is very funny.
In fact, I'd say one of the primary tools he uses to keep the reader engaged along with obscure allusion and maximalist digression would be his suffuse wit and ironic juxtaposition.

Candide, Confederacy of Dunces and Don Quijote have each made me laugh in public even when I attempted to restrain it.

This is me

how the fuck did I forget And Tom Jones by Fielding and Samuel Richardson's Pamela and Clarissa? But I'm sort of weird and the manner of articulation of English, especially from 1650-1850 makes me laugh - Hume cracks me up but maybe I'm just deeper in to the spectrum than I thought

It was pretty based for such a stupid concept, I remember the was like a tyrannosaurus ass and this guy who ate booty with ketchup

I like John Fante's Ask The Dust

It's kinda like Don Quixote but even closer to home

I own this, it’s not good. Only costed 10 cents and I felt ripped off.

every book is a comedy, take the honkpill
because we live in a really gay clown world

I think you could convert a stand up routine to an essay fairly easily

I remember reading this in fourth grade and being surprised it was actually funny
Also I just started Byron's Don Juan. Plenty of worthwhile comedies

Attached: 883625.jpg (318x462, 54K)

Rabelais, Queneau, the list goes on...