Catalog of ships, is there any point in not skiping it?

Attached: 185470-004-DE86BA21.jpg (300x188, 12K)

don't skip it

indeed, naval battles are the backbone of the hellenistic era and its changes. if you want to understand the birth of western philosophy, you must know them ships.

In the Iliad? It takes 1 minute to read and is a very interesting but brief look at the geopolitical situation of Greece.

What is with all the Iliad hate lately?

Attached: 1522788429797.jpg (500x500, 47K)

A sure sign of a brainlet invasion, user. Be on guard.

seriously in the amount of time it took this retarded op to post this thread he could have read the fucking thing jesus fucking christ

Yeah
You get to laugh at the fact that Athens sends a contingent even though the city didn't exist yet according to the timeline

Yes it did

My uncle (a classicist) once told me that the Athenian contingent was basically retconned into the original poem
I could definitely be wrong, but he's usually good with this stuff

Athens was around in the mycenaean period, there is archeological proof, not to mention tradition Athenian belief .
It's has been continously populated for at least 7000 years.

Whoops

I'll stop propagating that myth then

thx

Athens is one of the oldest cities in the world, much older than the Iliad. There is extremely strong evidence that a fortress existed there during the Mycenaean period.

Bruh isn’t it like 2-3 pages max? I don’t remember it taking very long

yeah skip it. if you feel like it you can skip all the violence passages as well without offence to homer

Attached: B99643DF-5A1B-42F1-B340-8CD73B9FD468.png (2448x3264, 3.92M)

What’s the dating on the events described in the Iliad? Its describing a very late pre-historic period isn’t it? Like 12th-10th centuryish B.C.? I find it very interesting contemplating what may have been real about the Iliad. I wouldn’t be surprised if there really was an Achilles, an Odysseus, and an Agamemnon, and a myth sprung up around them as war heroes (and Ithaca venerating a favorite king). Homer is so much fun to read.

earlier than that i believe. it was all quite distant history by the time homer 'wrote' it. the city of troy was a ruin well before homer was born and the story cycle came about with poets making up stories about how it fell

>he can't read the iliad without lapsing into self-pity
not going to make it friend. start over from the beginning, and this time, try actually reading the book without thinking about yourself every thirty seconds.

Read it out loud to yourself, as it was meant to be taken in.

what, in greek?

sometime around the bronze age collapse

Anything before the 7th century is hard to say with any certainty, but these are some generally accepted date ranges. It's hard to see but I have the Trojan war in the 12 century. Eratosthenes dated the fall of Troy at 1184.

Attached: 1557285642510473074650253735994.jpg (3968x2976, 2.14M)