Yea Forums approved Sci Fi?

Read the Expanse, first three Dunes, what next?

I liked the realistic aspects that were used as much as possible in the Expanse

Attached: 1449699543-scifi.jpg (1500x946, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF_Masterworks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Horus Heresy

Attached: 9f5ce6bcd9fec7cba7e9057c79364fa6--warhammer--character-art.jpg (236x273, 24K)

Annihilation

I always assumed anything based on a game was shite

Thnx, added.

The game is kinda shit, people are into it because the story and aesthetics are on point.

If you haven't read the Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson, read Red Mars. Arthur C. Clarke called it something like the best depiction of the colonization of Mars he'd ever read. It's absolutely fantastic. It's a work of art. I can certainly say it's my personal favourite Sci-Fi. Have you ever felt so attached to a fictional world that it makes you sad when you finish the story, because you don’t want to leave? I haven’t experienced that in a long time, but the ending of Blue Mars (the last of the three novels) did it. I believe the author said he was inspired to write the story when he was looking at a satellite image of Mars, and he thought to himself, “that looks like a wonderful place to go backpacking.” I now want to go backpacking on Mars.

Also added thank you, that's two trilogies. It'll keep me busy for a while at least

Get some Dick in you.

Attached: dick cat.jpg (950x534, 95K)

Show me the tip, only place to start

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Miller
Hyperion by Simmons
Blindsight by Watts
Ted Chiang short stories
Anathem by Stephenson
The Stars my Destination by Bester
Permutation City by Egan
VALIS by Philip K Dick

Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars

- Kim Stanley Robinson

start with A Scanner Darkly, then UBIK, then Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.
the last one is his best imo. but he wrote over 50 novels, so just dive in
>A Canticle for Leibowitz
>The Stars my Destination
top tier suggestions
I'll also add Starship Troopers. absolute must read.

Thanks anons

There's a lesser-known military sci-fi series called "Man of War" which has fantastic writing. The author thought through very realistic battle scenes against difficult odds, and the characters are decent as well.

Book of the New Sun

Try not to spoil it. I think you'll enjoy it more the less you know going in.

Not OP
I keep seeing it around, but I've never gotten a clear opinion on it. Is it really that good?

OP here, is the Revelation Space trilogy any good?

Yes, it's worth a read. Kinda grim dark and technical.

Forever War is the only one that matters.

This

#firstpersontrash

three body problem trilogy

>not realising it's an autobiography

Check the SF Masterworks collection by Gollancz.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF_Masterworks

What's the verdict on Battle at the Moons of Hell by Graham Paul?

I once heard it described as lovecraftian cyberpunk space opera, and there's really no better way of putting it. I personally enjoyed it a lot. If you do read it, make sure you read Chasm City after Rev. Space, because that's the recommended reading order. It's a bit misleading when they call it a trilogy. Revelation Space, Redemption Ark, and Absolution Gap are the main trilogy, but Chasm City was released in-between Rev Space, and Redemption Ark, and it establishes a few things you might not understand otherwise. There are also two stand-alone novels which are set about a hundred years before Rev. Space, called The Prefect, and Elysium Fire. The Prefect’s a detective noir story set in the Rev. Space universe. I found it mildly interesting, and there are a few genuinely good moments, but I wouldn’t call it necessary reading. Elysium Fire’s a sequel to The Prefect, but I haven’t read it yet, so I can’t comment on its quality. There’s also a collection of short stories, published under the Galactic North title, and two novellas, published as Diamond Dogs & Turquoise Days. They're nice reading as well.

In conclusion, read Rev. Space, and if you like it, you can read the rest of the main four novels. If after that you still want more, you can read the short stories, the novellas, or the Prefect Dreyfus novels, in whichever order you prefer. Personally, I think Diamond Dogs, and Glacial (one of the short stories) stand out from the crowd, but that’s just my opinion.

>the Expanse
Watching that now, great TV show

>I liked the realistic aspects that were used as much as possible in the Expanse
Hard SF is the term for scientifically accurate SF. Or did you mean the lived in, noir vibe?

My rec would be Diamond Age. It shows poverty in the age of miracles.

Thankfully the TV is about as good as the books, usually they butcher the source material in adaptations

I like Lovecraft too so works for me!

Gravity's Rainbow

Hard Sci Fi it is then. Flip and burn halfway through constant acceleration somewhere with the deck perpendicular to the direction of travel, that stuff.

Of course, maybe I appreciated it more visually with the TV show than theoretically in books..

>Diamond Age
Added

Solaris

The Forever War

Ringworld

Asimovs robot novels (starting with the Caves of Steel) as well as foundation

Space Viking

Seconding Hyperion and VALIS. Excellent reads.

Here’s a few authors to consider:
China Meiville - can feel a bit like you’re reading the authour’s egowank at times but his shit is just so surreal.
Becky Chambers - a bit new age and “woke” but her work captures a sense of ennui I’ve rarely seen executed well.
Gavin Smith - gets his priorities straight when it comes to conflict. Very POV-centric narratives that sacrifice the big picture for personal stories.
Chris Wooding - I’ll never forgive this cunt for bottling a personal favourite, but his writing and world building are the right level of disconnected. You get a sense of the world without being dragged into /tg/ levels of intricacy.
Walter Jon Williams - imagine a David Weber novel but the characters are likeable.
John Scalzi - bit of a meme but he nails his characters and doesn’t shit up his settings. Would recommend the “Interdependency” series he’s currently working on.

Absolute shitbook

I know you provided some suggestions (Interdependency), but for each author where would you start?

Having an author to explore is somewhat daunting compared to simply having a good taste and then looking for more from the author if I liked it.

Hyperion is my favourite sci fi.

It's shit I could not finish book one it's supper reddit. There are better thing suggested in this thread and in sffg charts.

Calling something reddit is not valid criticism. You’re just incoherently flinging buzzwords at things you don’t like. And it is incoherent, because the words you’re using don’t mean anything. I have never used reddit, and I liked Revelation Space. So, if things can be reddit, despite being liked by people aren’t redditors, what does “reddit” even mean? Nothing, is the answer. It means nothing. How about you use your literature skills to form a coherent sentence explaining what you didn’t like about the novel, otherwise your post is useless.

Fair enough, my bad.
>China Meiville
I think “Kraken” is the best introduction into the fever-dream that is his work. “Perdido Street Station” would work too.
>Becky Chambers
“The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet” is her first novel in her Wayfarers series. So far she has a limited bibliography but I have high hopes for her.
>Gavin Smith
Is highly recommend “Veteran” however “Age of Scorpio” is possibly the better introduction.
>Walter Jon Williams
His “Dread Empire’s Fall” series, opening with “Praxis”.

For some reason Earth Abides is considered science fiction. Either way it's really good and worth a read. Alas, Babylon is a similar story. As far as actual science fiction I didn't see anyone mention these:

Viriconium
Revelation Space
Roadside Picnic
The City and the Stars or pretty much anything by Arthur C Clarke.
I Am Legend
Frankenstein
The Dying Earth
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Dracula

Much appreciated

actually i was thing of The reality dysfunction when i made that comment. But if you want to see what i mean read that book or at least part of it.
Itf full of cringy/edgy characters "strong women" out of place sex scenes.

this bad boy

Attached: 41MB2xpI34L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (323x499, 19K)

and this

Attached: stand-on-zanzibar.jpg (580x912, 432K)

what's some scifi that feels like a daydream or denpa (?) vibe