Studying philosophy at Tilburg University

Is it a good idea to study philosophy in Tilburg, or in general?

Attached: 450px-Tilburg_kerk.jpg (450x600, 53K)

I hope you speak their peasant language.

Yes I am Dutch

These peasant are the original capital-cucks, they do everything in Anglo

that's a university?

Then yes, go for it user.

that's a church retard

Well it depends, I would check what their curriculum is, what courses they give: whether it is more continental or analytic, since philosophy in Holland is mostly analytic, though there are a few universities that are more continental or that accommodate both (Tilburg might be one).

I think he is not that retard, oxford looks like church

i thought it looked like a church. why'd OP post it then

It's the church of Tilburg. I posted it because the uni building itself is not aesthetic (pic related).

Attached: 305c22a2-e2ee-46d1-8d0b-223be7949327_library.jpg (944x592, 177K)

It's a cool modernist building desu. Not as beautiful as the church, but cool nonetheless.

is this sarcasm? Can't really tell...

must be. no one likes brutalist architecture

Not sarcastic, I genuinely like that building.

This one is not particularly hard on the eye like most brutalism and the design of the staircase being outreaching, connected to nature (the threes and the grass) and white flags rising high makes for an extremely pleasant aesthetic experience. It communicates lightness of heart and openess, if the color of the concrete was less dull it would be perfect.

you should go to the slums of london. the post-wwii projects, you'll love it

It's a great thing to study if you want to be unemployed. I'm guessing you're European, in which case I assume your college education is either free or at very little cost. In that case, go ahead and do it, just don't expect a job in that field.

My rule of thumb has always been to never go to college for a subject that you can learn on your own simply by reading and forming your own opinions. History, literature, philosophy, etc. I went to college to get trained for a high-paying job. I educate myself on things I'm interested in on the side. I get all the benefits of not being a pauper and all the benefits of reading books without wasting money and 8 years of my life.

idk some people want to do a job they care about i think

I'm sure they do. Too bad the world isn't in need of more philosophers.

I think it's a great idea to pursue a job in a field you love, even if you won't make a lot of money. But there's a difference between pursuing a job that won't make a lot of money, and pursuing an education that you won't even apply for any work you do. Most people who study history or philosophy end up working in law or some other field that's only related in a tertiary way to what they studied. If that's the case, what was the point of pursuing that "dream job" you wanted? Either way you end up with a job you didn't want.

I still remember what my old man taught me growing up, and it's served me well to this day. He basically told me believe in that cliche "find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." He told me to find a job I don't mind doing and then fill my free time with hobbies and interests that I love. It's worked out pretty well. I'm a merchant mariner, I make a ton of money doing a job that's pretty rewarding (though I certainly wouldn't say I love it). And the result is that I'm financially secure enough that I can spend my free time reading, writing, woodworking, fishing and all the other hobbies I have instead of working a side shift at Starbuck's just to pay the rent.

Fuck never thought about that.

Also since when is pauper an English word? Rich Dutch people use it like: "Jezus man lul ik word ziek van deze arbeiders, werken is pauper, louter paardje amice" which means "Jesus dude dick I am sick of these workers, labor is pauper, only the horse amice (pic related)"

Attached: Ralph-Lauren-2-colors_1024x1024.jpg (800x800, 82K)

>He basically told me believe in that cliche
He basically told me NOT* to believe in that cliche. Sorry.

Uhhh as far as I know pauper has been a word in English usage for a while now. It refers to someone who is destitute and extremely poor, hence why most major cities have a "pauper's graveyard" for unmarked graves of people who died too poor or without family to cover their funerals and whatnot.

fuck off je wordt nooit 'vo

But you can double-major which solves this problem. I am starting university next fall with a philosophy-economics double degree which basically guarantees a high paying job in the financial sector. And in Europe this is all free, so it only comes down to how many subjects can you manage.

>paardje
cringe

well obviously it's not for everyone but some people are quite serious about these things. i don't think it's a bad thing. it's important to pursue dreams. even if they're impossible, pointless, etc.

Yeah, that makes sense for your situation. I'm an American so I'm just speaking from experience in the States. I mean if the education is free, fuck it, study whatever you want. But if it's not, it's better to look at it as an investment and make decisions based on reason rather than passion.

Even if it is free and you're planning on double-majoring, it would still be wise to consider time as a currency. I've known a lot of people who weren't able to finish their double major just because the massive work load ends up overwhelming them, and they end up suffering in both degrees of their education when they could be flourishing if they had only chose one. Just something to think about.

I'm not trying to really discourage anyone from pursuing an education they want. But I knew a lot of friends from high school who ended up going to college for stupid degree choices, they all end up in debt and miserable. I just really wish society would stop pushing this "follow your dreams, don't listen to what anyone else tells you" shit. It's harmful to people in the long run. Dreams and passions are nice, but they need to be curtailed with a little bit of logic and pragmatism.

op here, I know that making money for just sitting around and thinking is hard. However, what about the status and the people you meet at such a study?

Tilburg isn't great. Go to Leiden, Utrecht or Groningen. Do a major in a field with decent employability rates and start a Philosophy of a Specific Discipline after you get your propedeuse. Double bachelor in 4 years and your opportunities for further education and jobs skyrockets. It's what I did and it worked out great.

Why are Leiden, Utrecht or Groningen better?

I'm afraid I don't have much insight to offer on that. As I said, I'm a merchant mariner, my circles of friends and co-workers aren't exactly "intellectual" types. But through a fortunate series of events and connections I had due to being an antiquarian book buyer, I had the pleasure of being allowed to use the rare book libraries of the University of Illinois and Indiana University, which are normally off-limits to the public and even students without written permission.

Academia has a charm to it, and I'm sure you would make some great friends and whatnot. My advice if you really want to study philosophy would be to try to find some work in academia as a professor or something.

Thank you for your advice

Perhaps that was a bit shorthand. Tilburg isn't necessarily bad, it's just that the university isn't particularly well-known for its professors or their publications.

Leiden has probably the best Law and Humanities Philosophy faculties in the country. It's also close to the randstad.

Groningen is very diverse and has lead professors in the fields of History of Philosophy, Ethics and Logic. Also, it's the best city I ever lived in in terms of people and atmosphere.

Don't have personal experiences with Utrecht, but I've heard decent things.

The main point was to go for a double major. Almost everyone in my bachelor did so and was very happy that they did.

Oke I see, thank you

No, you can learn it online, and career opportunities are scarily low for philosophy graduates. If you aren't interested in STEM or Management, I'd recommend Psychology.