Unreliable Narrator

Post good examples of this trope, please? The main character is slightly or completely malicious, but we realise it a bit too late. No "he was just insane all along". That's just boring.

Attached: Unreliable narrator.png (797x375, 38K)

The book of the new sun

every narrator in history is inherently unreliable

Maybe. But not every narrator is trying to actively trick his readers.

>a 12 yo doesnt want to have sex with you
this n word doesn't remember being 12 apparently

House of leaves. There's a strory inside a story inside a story and none is sincere.

Nah. For most of history the objective and truthful nature of the narrator was assumed by readers and written into the texts. Shakespeare was one of the first who didn't do this, but even he had to be "aided" by the form that only allows narration from the actors of the conflict, with no external, "impersonal" intervention.

Agatha Christie: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

One question I’m left asking with that book is whether or not the unreliable narrator is a cop out with regards to how Christie constructs the actual mystery of the novel.

The Turn of The Screw

Mason & Dixon

there is a sincere story underneath it all

Wittgenstein's Mistress

Umineko

Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo.

Probably, but it's well hidden. Which is always the case with unreliable narration.

You just spoiled these books for me

i remember when i was 12 i called my English teacher daddy once. also i wanted to fuck him

To kill a mockingbird

The Notebook trilogy

And he's probably the funniest unreliable narrator of all time, 100% pure autist

Reminder that the popular definition of the unreliable narrator is completely different from Booth's original conception of it

12s can consent. It's just socially unacceptable for most of the world, because the age of adulthood keeps increasing. Soon you won't be an adult til 30.

No they can't. Your brain isn't fully developed at 12 years old.

found the libertarian

then they can't consent to not have sex either. Consent is a spook.

It's not fully developed til 25+, yet we allow 18s to sex with any age 18+. In many US states, it's legal kids to have sex with other teens of a couple years apart or less. Are the 18-25 range getting raped? Are these teens raping each other?

>Severian
>malicious

No

What the fuck are you talking about
12 year olds cannot consent into having sex, but they sure can refuse.

This

When I was 7 me and my cousin were playing behind his apartment complex, in area we weren’t really supposed to be and a woman called out to us from the window of an apartment. We ducked and were about to run away, but she said it was ok and to come over. That she wouldn’t tell on us.

She was in her 40’s or 50’s. She asked us our names etc and if we wanted to come over for cookies. She told us her apartment number and said her daughter was about to leave, and we should wait for a mini van to drive away and knock on her door.

Me and my cousin immediately thought that we were going to get laid, but when the mini van left my cousin chickened out so I didn’t go either.

To this day I truly believe if I would’ve gone and done something sexual with her, my life would be better. I would’ve been a lot more prone to intimacy rather than afraid of it.

>a 12 year old doesn't want to have sex with you
Wrong

have sex

>No "he was just insane all along". That's just boring.
But what if it's done well?

Attached: palefire.jpg (1556x2400, 825K)