Yea Forums that every good author enjoys

Yea Forums that every good author enjoys
(pic related)

Attached: image.jpg (640x946, 283K)

bases

Attached: 51iKrAFkNQL.jpg (339x500, 56K)

He rapes his sister, Phoebe.

>high schoolers
The STATE of Yea Forums

EXPLAIN THIS MEME TO ME OR I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU! DON'T DUMB IT DOWN INTO SOME VAGUE SHIT! EXPLAIN THIS MEME TO ME RIGHT NOW OR I'LL LITERALLY FUCKING KILL YOU! WHERE THE FUCK IS THE EVIDENCE THAT HOLDEN RAPES PHOEBE? WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THE 'FUCK YOU' GRAFFITI TOWARDS THE END? DON'T DUMB IT DOWN OR I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the part where he keeps seeing ''Fuck'' written on the walls of Poebe's school. Some people on this board think it somehow implies that he is raping his sister.

i really want a full explanation with textual evidence for this theory though...i've been asking for this since I came across 'the meme' and sincerely want something beyond "it's a meme, some people on the board think, and 'he rapes phoebe'"

I've never seen a proper explanation either. Would be interested to see one.

this is a good book

Tired of Yea Forums saying this book is good. It's not bad, but it also doesn't present any idea that's novel or interesting.

Attached: 220px-TheGreatGatsby_1925jacket.jpg (220x329, 24K)

Should I read this even if I don't give a rats ass about jazz?

It's pretty great and a short read. Not to much to do with Jazz music, more to do with vast sums of money at a superficial level

I’ve never heard any author say anything bad about it ever. Or at least not any author I care about. Even Nabokov loves Meville:
> Love him. One would like to have filmed him at breakfast, feeding a sardine to his cat.

Attached: FF99BC1F-08CE-4F33-8F31-4CB12AE1B731.jpg (432x648, 95K)

It's literally the greatest realist YA ever written bar none

That part where he writes a nonfiction book within the fiction book was like spinning plates

No doubt; this one has everything a good story needs, is build like a Shakespearian play and has so far always been recepted well among the people I have recommended it to - even those that barely read.

I liked it. For an updated version of Moby Dick see referenced picture.

Attached: 1353810.jpg (300x429, 33K)

Fitzgerald is about the beauty of the language.

I'm very tired of literally everyone else on the planet saying it's shit because Holden is "annoying"

>idea

I hated the book but that was primarily because Holden is the most utterly insufferable protagonist I have ever had the displeasure of reading about. Fuck this guy. I want to curb stomp him.

what exactly didn't you like about him?

i'm convinced people read this shit and tend to uncritically agree with his worldview well into adulthood
that's probably not a good thing

>lol we can trade cars but not wives

He's just a kid bro

My memory is a bit fuzzy because I read it in highschool so bear with me if I forgot some subtle details
>spoiled child of well off family
>reeks of first world problems, consequently tries to find struggle by autistically, and more importantly, incoherently, screeching at the world
>whines incessantly, perhaps his most common form of self expression
>consequently, his critiques of society are shallow(reeeeeee everyone is so phoney), would probably be a pseud Twitter keyboard warrior in modern days
>did I mention the autistic and impotently lashing out? his confrontations with Sunny's pimp and the Chad roommate remind me of a shitty shonen protag who screeches and charges headfirst at an enemy way stronger than them and eats dirt for most of the early episodes
>on top of all this, he was Salinger's way of portraying kids roughly my age at the time I read it and this offended me to my very core because Holden was a twat

Holden was right and you're a nigger.

>t. edgy "intellectual" teenager

>t. nigger

99% of shutin males that age relate to holden dude, if you don't you're either a woman or had friends in school.

I get where you are coming from. I just never took Holden that seriously but rather projected my own live onto his. I think this made me fade out his childishness

Well yeah, I had friends in school, though I only hung out with a small group of them outside of school and nowadays only maintain a bare minimum circle of close friends while being mostly a hermit. What makes him really unrelatable to me is that he doesn't know how to restrain himself in key moments and his complete lack of self awareness. Even as a 15 year old reading his book I had enough to realize that my growing understanding of the world's problems wasn't unique, was far from complete, and didn't put me above anyone.
Maybe I'd be more sympathetic if I reread this as an adult, because reading this as a high schooler made me feel resentful towards Holden.

it just shows how different people can read one and the same character. I always thought the beginning was exteremly humble: "If you really wanna know it.." this could be read with haughtiness or extreme humbleness