Just started the Yea Forums guide to western philosophy with pic related, what am I in for overall?

Just started the Yea Forums guide to western philosophy with pic related, what am I in for overall?

Attached: 519H6TwwiGL._SR500,500_.jpg (500x500, 47K)

That book was alright. Sort of interesting.
Reading Phil chronologically is a massive dilettante meme though, especially if you only read primary sources.

>The road up and the road down is one and the same. -Heraclitus
whoa

>Reading Phil chronologically is a massive dilettante meme
>it's a meme to understand the progression of ideas and how authors build up on or rebuke past philosophers
yikes

and here comes the offended dilletante
finished that big hackett plato book yet? understood much?

>reads the complete works of all philosophers and all the people they cite from Thales to some cunt alive today
that sounds like a trap, friend. The Greeks are a good start though.

>no argument
I accept your concession

>no argument
lmao. not every thread needs to be some spectacle of a debate. grow up kid

It kind of is.

You should have read some Plato and Aristotle though, at the very least. Aristotle is such a level beyond that of Plato, it does not surprise me how many people on here make threads about Plato daily. :3

That being said, Plato is still a legitimate political philosopher. The Republic is a masterpiece.

Sounds to me like you're the real dilettante who's just insecure about not being able to commit to reading philosophy. I mean, for fuck's sake dude, you're calling people who ACTUALLY committed themselves to philosophy a word that means someone who has a casual, superficial interest in a thing and gets bored with it quickly?

Attached: Screenshot_20190430-213904_Chrome.jpg (1080x606, 299K)

Take your rick and morty cartoon and fuck off to reddit. There is nothing impressive per se about "committing" to philosophy like some autodidact dilettante who sees himself as some "reader" or "seeker of knowledge"

>Reading philosophy in an order
Just pick a niche you like and focus on it. Not like philosophy will make your life better so best to get get clued up in one area. Itd be like playing a bunch of different instruments instead of getting talented on one.

read Guenon, then Plato, then the Indians, then throw the rest of western philosophy in the trash

This. 5 minutes in any philosophy/literature discord will show you how futile reading for self-betterment is.

t. guenonposter

Attached: 1536784443404.png (1848x5883, 2.75M)

A waste of your fucking time, not necessarily with that book, but just with 90% of philosophy in general.

100% this.
most of these people would be far better off if they just read some shakespeare

God I hate you 4channel faggots, everything I want to do you fags keep making me second guess myself or think im doing it entirely wrong. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

the moral of the story is to just fucking read
the order etc whatever barely fucking matters
especially if you spend more time thinking/posting about what/how to read than actually reading

All his fragments are like that. It should be read without any commentary, just in its plain puissance, to get to feel the infinite power and cast encompassing reach of those single sentences. It's like the Being engulfes you.

What's the alternative? Only learning about philosophy from University lectures and textbooks, and not from primary sources? Reading scattered books here and there, without building on context? Most philosophy since Plato has been a pattern of arguing against and synthesizing with older works.
>massive dilettante meme
You're the type of guy who sits squarely in his academic career his whole life, treats philosophy like a descriptive discipline, and never engages with it on a personal level. The boring guy with boring opinions based on pressure from the scholastic world. This is killing philosophy, and the main reason I decided against an academic career.

Still not as autistic as the person who made that pic.