Buying books obsession and shipping costs

It's the first time that I've had enough money to start purchasing books.
I have probably spent over $150 books over the past 3 weeks and I'm currently buying one book a day.

This is what has arrived at this point.
Why is shipping that fucked towards Europe countries? Any ways to save up on that? Batch shipping companies that do discounts?
I currently use Amazon uk, Alibris and ThriftBooks very rarely.

Since I'm buying used books, it's about 70-80% of my costs atm

Attached: 59644616_261884834615783_7301970880291143680_n.jpg (1170x1560, 121K)

Collecting books is great and all but I can only buy the books I actually read so 1 or 2 paperbacks per month.bit pointless to bolster your ego with heaps of books you're never gonna read

You must be new to Yea Forums... welcome

i hate those fucking stickers that they put on books. god fucking damnit. they never come off right

Attached: InfamousThirstyBanteng-max-1mb.gif (320x134, 801K)

Don’t do that, my New Year’s resolutions for the past several years has been to read all of the books I’ve accumulated. Anyone here can scoff at the idea of resolutions, but I bet that half of the people reading this have a similar feeling or guilt mixed with shame mixed with anxiety at all of the books that are sitting on their shelves gathering dust.

If you use amazon, the bet thing to do is to add all of the books you want to a wishlist, order it by price and then buy the cheapest book on the list when you’re finished with the last one .

use abebooks, it's a decent aggregate of bookshops throughout the world, you can look for specific editions/covers etc

Cheapest place i've found to buy books online is betterworldbooks. $4 per book, free shipping, + 25% discount they usually do every couple of months.
Don't buy anymore books though, user. You have enough to keep you busy for awhile.

"Many years ago," Gaspar said, taking out a copy of Moravia's The Adolescents and thumbing it as he spoke, "I had a library of books, oh, thousands of books -- never could bear to toss one out, not even the bad ones -- and when folks would come to the house to visit they'd look around at all the nooks and crannies stuffed with books; and if they were the sort of folks who don't snuggle with books, they'd always ask the same dumb question." He waited a moment for a response and when none was forthcoming (the sound of china cups on sink tile), he said, "Guess what the question was."
From the kitchen, without much interest: "No idea."
"They'd always ask it with the kind of voice people use in the presence of large sculptures in museums. They'd ask me, 'Have you read all these books?'" He waited again, but Billy Kinetta was not playing the game. "Well, young fella, after a while the same dumb question gets asked a million times, you get sorta snappish about it. And it came to annoy me more than a little bit. Till I finally figured out the right answer.
"And you know what that answer was? Go ahead, take a guess." Billy appeared in the kitchenette doorway.
"I suppose you told them you'd read a lot of them but not all of them."
Gaspar waved the guess away with a flapping hand. "Now what good would that have done? They wouldn't know they'd asked a dumb question, but I didn't want to insult them, either. So when they'd ask if I'd read all those books, I'd say, 'Hell, no. Who wants a library full of books you've already read?'"

Don't European countries have their own amazon service? Why do so many use amazon uk?

This
And the book depository, cheap and free shipping but try to compare the books on their web with the ones on their profile on ABEBOOKS since some books are cheaper depending on the site... I don't get it
Some book was 12€ on their web and 9€ on Abe
And I've seen the inverse happen too

It's not bolstering ego. I have spent my university years with a nook and now an amazon kindle. Even though I didn't read remotely as much, I still kept the habit going. Although e-book convenience cannot be beat and (if you are this kind of person) financially it makes way more sense to pirate stuff, the connection and comprehension I get with the physical object is unmatched.

That, along with the idea of sharing my library with my kids one day is compelling enough.

I have used abebooks for a few books but the shipping for Europe is pricy. In general I have purchased a lot of books from BetterWorld, but through their Amazon. Price + shipping turns up to be way cheaper this way, at least for the couple of comparative tries I had.

There is a similar video with a french philosopher right?

There is UK and DE close to me - I am in Denmark so these are the only that make sense in terms of shipping + collection of books in English.

I'm in the UK and used Abe books for a long time but try just books.co.uk
If you know the Iban it will search Everything ebay, international ebay, amazon nd all its different counterparts, as well as Abe books etc. Always find the best prices for both first and second hand books. What I've found is amazon.fr is usually the cheapest for me

OP still here,
To aggregate I use bookfinder. Although their info is outdated sometimes, it has all those bookshops combined.

Goo gone works pretty well for me

Atlas Shrugged is bigger than War and Peace?

Why don't you use Book Depository OP?
0 shipping cost

But finish your stack first
>buy 4-8~ books
>finish them
>buy more
that's what I do
planning to buy another haul as I'm in my last book

>150
Lol look at this small time
I spent 1200 in the past month

It's the paper and glue. War and Peace has more pages.
Book depo doesn't have used books and the price of shipping is added on the price in any case. I sincerely don't know who falls for these tricks. It's just simple addition.

What did you get user?

>>buy 4-8~ books
>>finish them
>>buy more
this

in the interim I always keep a list of books that I've heard about and want to buy, and then at the end I rank them and make my order. If I just buy them on a whim I'd be in OPs situation of an endless backlog.

You might want to ask yourself the question, why am I buying these books? What quality attracted me to buy it? Am I actually going to read them in the future, or do I think it's important to have them just in case? Or is just having them around making me happy? Or am I getting anxious about buying these books and then not reading them.
There's nothing wrong about buying more books than you can read in a lifetime, but you should explore the reason why you are purchasing them more deeply.

Personally, I think you're buying books because at long last you can buy whatever fucking book you want and not really considering the quality of the books you're getting.

try oil+eraser

>buying one book a day
You don't read that fast though.
Don't purchase any more books until you've gone through some of the ones you've already purchased.

>buy 8-12~ books
>read 2-3
>buy another 8-12~ books
>read 2-3
>buy another 20-30 at flea-sale

genDOTlibDOTrusDOTec

>Cheapest place i've found to buy books online is betterworldbooks
OP has a sticker from thriftbooks, and they are comparable in cost and reliability. I buy a lot and they only fucked me once.

Alcohol, for the really pesky glues turpentine.

>Why is shipping that fucked towards Europe countries?

try being australian; shipping is sometimes twice as much as the book.

Attached: 863edb6e016fb21fd8413e320c74f336d75123f4_hq.jpg (960x956, 51K)

>*tries almost everything*
>motherfucker - nothing will dissolve this glue
>*tries water*
>sheeeiit! it worked
Never overlook the easiest of solutions, though. It is not really the "tenacity" of the glue, but instead, the chemical composition - and how best to attack its bonds. I have spent considerable time on some books, only to find that water was the best glue removal agent. Sometimes the oil seals it so you need to remove that before you switch to water.

Based and patricianpilled

I have the same problem but I make a determined effort to read more than I buy. Of course my addiction has turned that into reading short fiction, I knocked out five books last week but now I've forced myself to dig into James Clavell's Shogun which in paperback is a thousand pages, but thankfully it's really fun so I managed 700 in three days. It's a constant struggle to keep pace with the buying frenzy.

I think bookdepository has free shipping, though the books themselves may be more expensive than the sites you mentioned.

>be europoor
>use abebooks
>only USA seems to have a good amount of books available
>order from there
>they send 20 books in 9 different shipments (same store, just different warehouse locations)
>end up paying 3x the amount of the books for shipping
>end up paying 7x the amount of the books in customs fees

Never again!

This was somewhat addressed here: I also get a knack out of going back home and finding a package for me in the mail. It's probably a mix of personal financial validation, alleviation of the strain from an unfullfilling workday and the joy of having material that can help you transcend to a better being.

There are way more pirating websites for books (and way better) and on a pirating thread I'd be glad to share URLs or chatrooms

Currently the shipping costs are 4x, considering I get used books that cost around 1 pound and shipping is around 4.
I would really love to find a vendor that batches up your purchases and sends them out, say biweekly with the lowest shipping possible.

>not buying from stores with free shipping
Retard. Plus why only buy one book? I buy 8-12 books at a time so I got stuff to read

Quality > quantity, user. If your goal is to amass a collection that you can share with your future children, stop buying shitty second-hand mass-market paperbacks that will disintergrate in 5 years. Instead of buying a shitty book a day, buy a nice book a week.

>twice as much as the book
Oh no! How horrible! How do you get by?

>be europoor
>look at $5 book on abebooks
>shipping to Sweden: $75 first book and $25 other books

FML.

This is addressed here , ffs this is a reading board, you can read right?

I have yet to find ANY second hand book that disintegrated.Also, used books doesn't necessarily mean bad editions.

Abebooks? They have crazy shipping costs towards Scandinavia. How tf isn't there a better book webshop for the region since we supposedly read so much?

>Abebooks? They have crazy shipping costs towards Scandinavia. How tf isn't there a better book webshop for the region since we supposedly read so much?
I know, it sucks ass. Thankfully I found this thread: bookdepository and better world books seem like decent places to order. Not as cheap as abebooks would be if I'd live in the states, but at least they beat all other places I know of.

>doesn't necessarily mean bad editions
Judging by your stack, you've got some bad editions. Paperback, acidic paper; they aint gonna last bro.

As I said in the thread, BetterWorld 95% of the time has better overall cost through their Amazon.uk store - check it out. It's true, abe is crazy cheap for the US. It's getting me thinking to set up a virtual address and ship them over in a batch. Maybe I'll send them an e-mail.

For me, it's important that it's readable. I say again, I've had 'shitty' paperback editions for decades and they sit just fine in my bookshelf.

I just picked up that exact copy of War and Peace and Atlas Shrugged at a local second hand book fare. Top notch condition and only $3 a book (in Canada)

>atlas shrugged

Attached: 1300044776986.jpg (600x600, 35K)

>It's getting me thinking to set up a virtual address and ship them over in a batch.
Too risky. Several times when I've ordered from Abebooks they've sent out my order in several packages, fucking up my life and wallet with customs union fees. If you place an order on 50 books and they decide (for whatever reason, maybe they have different warehouse locations for all books) to ship everything in 20 orders... That'll cost. A lot.

>Scandinavia
Why are you buying from overseas if you live in scandinavia? You really are a retard

Because books here cost a small fortune, and the availability of books here sucks, you dimwit.

>the availability of books here sucks
Yah not really. I live here you moron. Scandinavia reads the most books in the world

Attached: 1517060740179.png (811x697, 720K)

I live here too you fucking donkey.

>Rand
Stop now

Go to a used books store you absolute retard

So, where do you buy your books insomuch that that the overall cost is lower?

At least I'm a donkey that knows where to buy books without having to spend all my money on shipping. This donkey is smarter than you

Attached: 1520105763403.gif (200x216, 724K)

Do share.

I don't know if there are really good (low prices, large selection) used book stores close to here.
I haven't really found any in Copenhagen but there has to be something

>abridged Life of Johnson

why

Mistake. Is it worth it for me to read it and then go to the full version?

I have over 50 unread books because I always order big batches and by the time I finish one of the paperbacks my interests have changed and I end up ordering another batch of books on whatever I'm interested in only to repeat the process. Now that I actually physically gathered the books I haven't read I am so embarrassed by it that I promised I wouldn't buy a single new book until I finished at least half of these

You might as well use it to judge whether reading the full thing is something you want to do.

Adlibris and Bokus is good if you're in sweden at least

Not that user, but bokus are fucking ass. It took them over two weeks to ship three books I ordered. Beforehand I made sure that every book was properly in stock and didn't have to be ordered from a third party, like they do if they don't stack it themselves. You'd think it was easier to ship books, but apparently it isn't. They must be horrendously understaffed.

>Bokus
>Adlibris
Yeah, enjoy paying $100 for 4-5 paperbacks.

Both don't deliver to DK
>mfw