Horror, fear, and books you shouldn't stay up to read at night

What do you think of H. P. Lovecraft? What do you think his best work is, and why?
I've yet to have a complete and comprehensive reading of his work, so this opinion is admittedly an uninformed one, but I find that Herbert West: Reanimator really has what it takes to keep me up at night.

Attached: Lovecraftportrait.jpg (697x1000, 106K)

I have read almos all of his stories except 2 or 3 of his dream cycle trash. I dont remember my first reactions to his stories because then I was struggling too much with his prose to really understand what was supposed to be scary, But I myself really cant see myself getting legit spooked by any horror writer at night, its just letters like close your geez.

Lovecraft is my fave author and the thing I love about his horror is that some of it isnt really that inherently bad or malicious. there being fish people in some town somewhere just fishing fish and looking bad isnt that horrible, but when you're on the line almost crossing into their world and leaving your world of normality and peace then shit gets real. nowdays lovecrafts legacy is so fucking tarnished because of people abusing his genre, people being butthurt about muh rayzism and it being cool to shit on him. because of this i just appreciate him more, he was fucking based, had a great sense of horror and he died way too fucking soon

Attached: toplovescrafts.png (489x250, 50K)

I enjoy lovecraft, you really need to share his worldview to find his work horrifying, and this includes having a breakdown when you find out your grandfather was welsh.

Source on him having a breakdown over being part-Welsh?

His Dream-Cycle is extrordinary

Only some stories. Some are garbage

>Its another Howard goes on a 5 page rant about the dutch episode.

Attached: frog.png (800x450, 266K)

Your pic has inspired me to post my top 10 favorite Lovecraft stories. Here they are, in no order:

The Call of Cthulhu
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Music of Erich Zann
The Rats in the Walls
The Dunwich Horror
The Festival
The Haunter of the Dark
At the Mountains of Madness
The Lurking Fear

Not a fan of the Color out of Space ?

Cool font, user!

>his dream cycle trash

Pleb.

Good author, The Whisperer in Darkness is my favorite.

>Through the Gates of the Silver Key

Attached: 1517650545548.jpg (790x818, 260K)

Great story, if you can get past the "I'm a special snowflake" first part.

It's great, but not one of my favorites.

-one trick cthulhu
-cannot imagine protagonists who are not geeky incellous weebs
-has 10 levels in Bigot, took 0 levels in Knowledge (Scientific Racism)
-went to New York, saw nothing worth writing about or making story out of.
-letters reveal an r9k grasp of sex and romance
-University graduates and masters have no trouble reading hieroglyphs of a species that's totally Other
-uses science terms in ignorance because they sound scary: non euclidian geometry just means shapes with curved surfaces.
-rhymes =/= sense

He could have been great if he actually bothered to investigate his interests fully instead of just hiding in his house for 40 years.

The Color out of Space is objectively his best story, followed closely by The Rats in the Walls, The Call of Cthulhu and The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Everything else ranges from decent to truly awful

Attached: lovecraft.jpg (250x296, 22K)

Chants of Malodoror is pretty much like a serial killer's diary. It's cited as an inspiration by a wide range of artists and authors. It is the legit check-the-door scariest thing I've ever read. Guy describes adopting orphans so he can torture them, not sexually, but in such a way as to inspire hopelessness.

HPL knew more about science when he was ten than you do now.

Dont listen to this retard. He has left out several of lovecrafts best stories

This is quite unlikely. Thank you for playing.

>-one trick cthulhu
It's clear you haven't actually read him. Idiots like you think everything he wrote is "DUDE UNSPEAKABLE HORROR CTHULHU LMAO," but there's actually some variety to his stories. For instance, the dream cycle stories lean more towards fantasy than horror.
>-cannot imagine protagonists who are not geeky incellous weebs
Yes, this was one of his weaknesses. However, who gives a shit? His stories aren't character-driven.
>-has 10 levels in Bigot, took 0 levels in Knowledge (Scientific Racism)
Lovecraft was a well-read person who stayed up to date on the latest scientific discoveries.
>-went to New York, saw nothing worth writing about or making story out of.
The Horror at Red Hook. He. Now I'm certain you don't know anything about Lovecraft except for memes.
>-letters reveal an r9k grasp of sex and romance
And yet he got married and had sex.
>-University graduates and masters have no trouble reading hieroglyphs of a species that's totally Other
Name three examples of this happening in his stories.
>-uses science terms in ignorance because they sound scary: non euclidian geometry just means shapes with curved surfaces.
You're right that he used them because they sound scary, but you're wrong that he was ignorant. He knew what he was talking about.
>He could have been great if he actually bothered to investigate his interests fully instead of just hiding in his house for 40 years.
During the last decade of his life he regularly went on trips around the country. He was fascinated by 18th century architecture, so he frequently visited old New England towns and villages.
At the Mountains of Madness, The Shadow Out of Time, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Music of Erich Zann, The Dunwich Horror, the list goes on.