How do you write horror when nothing truly scares you?

How do you write horror when nothing truly scares you?

Attached: !!!! SAYA 15.png (797x595, 378K)

>nothing scares me
Why do people lie on the Internet?

I didn't say nothing scares me. I said nothing TRULY scares me. I've read many different types of horror, HP Lovecraft, Harlan Ellison, Dean Koontz and I although their stories do scare me, they don't really evoke the sense of despair that I am seeking, I think the only thing that really kept me awake at night was a creepypasta (yes I know) I read called 'The Pocket' but I was 14 when I read it which probably explains it. I just seem to be numb to all aspects of horror and violence at this point but something about it fascinates me

Attached: 5cd27f5345d98911edd9981b187496c743bebf2d447931c09ead9d9a6173e707_1.jpg (320x321, 24K)

Include mystery/paranormal (or is it...?)/sci-fi, etc.

None of it really scares me either. I just like the subject matter.

Ask Ligotti he looks like the kind of guy that doesn't fear anything

You don't. There are no horrors left in the modern world, humans have been to the corners of the globe; veni, vidi, vici.
There is nothing unknown, we can watch and explain everything there is; violence, death and disease are mundane and distant; mere statistics, pixels on the tv screen, chemical processes.

I’m actually impressed. I’m all over this board talking about how she might be thinking and what she’s doing and stuff and she hasn’t posted. Good girl

What do you mean ?

Big portions of the earth are unexplored, not to mention space.
But the scariest thing are humans themselves so we don't have to look any further.

Attached: IMG_20190506_194047.png (800x500, 505K)

But what about things not of this earth?

>Big portions of the earth are unexplored
Nothing we haven't seen before. We know what's out there, primitive tribes we'll genocide, new species we'll put in zoos and on animal planet.
Compare it to how in ancient times people thought they would find mythological creatures, the end of the world, barbarians making human sacrifices (with no way to stop them) etc. In their mind the spiritual and mythological were real and just beyond the horizon. They could not see what the world is on video, only relied on spoken word, and their imagination to supply the rest. This didn't only apply to uncharted lands; but to disease, how the world itself worked.

What do you have to be scared of today? There is order, rule of law, we are on the top of the food chain, we have hospitals. No foreign conquerors, no torture, no predatory animals, no unexplained events, no gods or evil spirits fucking with us. There is little left to stimulate that part of the brain which handles genuine danger.

All devoid of life for millions of years, rocks floating through empty space. If you're talking about spiritual things: miracles don't happen these days, and anybody who says they do is either lying, a cult leader or schizophrenic.

people aren't afraid of the unexplored because nobody cares about it anymore

Oh you have no idea what's out there.
Just oitside the civilized world.
The crudeness of illnesses and famine.
The cruelty of men, the brute animal world, the repugnancy of certain creatures.
The crimes of men against the world, the human species, the angst of loneliness, tortures, abuse, violence, perversity.
You have no idea how bad things really are.
Just because you close yourself in your privileged existence, things don' stop existing.
And even if you are desensitized, the real thing is a totally different thing and it's nothing like it.

>"nothing truly scares me"
>only posts references to written works
>unironic words on paper
Go do something IRL that scares the shit out of you and get back to us. Nothing in literature actually scares many of us. Your condition (at least in this respect) is totally normal.

Do you want a story about fear shared between anthropologists and SA indians?

Write about nothingness.
Or better, the realisation of the fact that you are supposedly "unable to feel fear" implies that your brain structure and content is different to someone else's, meaning that we are but pieces of meat that randomly came onto this land. Such a realisation may be fun to develop for you and might scare the shallowest of readers.

>might scare the shallowest of readers
What I find to be the scariest literature is that which causes me to explore unrealized problems that surround us but that go unconsidered.

Is Cyclonopedia scary ?

That doesn't sound bad

Fly out to Mexico,
get hooked on crack,
borrow some money,
don't give it back.

Once you have sat,
in the drug baron's chair,
then you can say to us,
"I've known despair."

Attached: honkler.png (680x680, 221K)

Fear the inteligence community

This pseudo-lyrical post you just made describes teenage angst more than horror.
Privileged existence? More like a completely different way the world is viewed today.

>the angst of loneliness
I like you put that one as the first crime against the world, lol.

Write about the things everyone thinks to know all too well.
Like pollution and health in a really concerning way.
Like how common is cancer nowadays

What scares you outside of books? Like is there a kind of death that bothers you on a visceral level more than others?

I didn't really mean to put that in ther.
I guess ut reads like that.

Cmon though life's harsh out there and everyone has at least a phobia.
There are lots of dusgusting parasites, terrible illnesses, genetical atrocities, desolation, brutal murders ...

Anthropologists settle into long term stay with indians in Peru. Indian makes offhanded comment on bravery of anthropologists for venturing deep across the jungle. Anthropologists say that that is ridiculous - that the tribe lives it's entire existence in the jungle; that the indians are the brave ones. The indian says that he has never been in the jungle - that he is too scared to go. The anthropologists are confused because the village is remote in the middle of a jungle. Indian explains that the village is not part of the jungle - only surrounded by it. The indians felt perfectly at home in their village and were terrified of leaving it. The anthropologists could barely distinguish a difference in safety between the jungle and the village. This is all a true story - not Hollywood sob story. IIRC, the indians were Yanomamo.

My greatest fear is dying alone and never having amounted to anything. My goal in life is to have something left behind after I die so that my memory will live on. Whether that be a book, a work of art or a video game.

Attached: nNKVJm7lamfPVK_wuEhxN2OzTLkybpzUBafesTll5Cs.jpg (1024x682, 102K)

I like stories that are surreal but oddly enough still perfectly imaginable irl. The russian sleep experiment is one. Though i‘ve read it when it was still just creepy pasta. Google said it‘s now a legit book and all. Idk how creepy it is now.

That's a poor consolation.
Have children and raise them in a way they'll respect you.

Or something even more disconcerting - like the fact that lack of access to DDT causes many more deaths than were ever attributed to the presence of DDT.

if nothing scares you, you've been domesticated

BASED AND WITNESSED

Attached: Witnessed.jpg (550x550, 64K)

Explain

I think it's more numbed than domesticated. As a child I was scared of pretty much everything but as I grew I indulged myself in all kinds of horror literature. It started with creepypasta, then I moved on to surreal and cosmic horror, from there I went to more human horrors such as murder, rape, and war and it just doesn't disturb me anymore. I could go on best gore, watch the Christchurch massacre, a man being beheaded and then having his cock cut off and put in his mouth and it just wouldn't disturb me. I don't approve of those actions of course but they just don't shock me anymore.

I'm talking about the surveillance apparatus, transhumanism etc.. the ever growing presence of technology which will inevitably render us obsolete. If you are not scared of every square inch of the planet being streamed on camera, you've been domesticated. Or disciplined into a rational subject as Foucault would say.

Doesn't really make sense .
Are they civilized Indian tribes ?

This post could have been written by me.
Somehow it‘s become boring instead of exciting. I uses to be obsessed with serial killers like ed gain as a teen. I masturbated to david parker rey‘s tape transcripts. But now? It‘s lost it‘s appeal.
Maybe it‘s time to dabble in to the really creepy areas of life. Like emotional intimacy. Kek

Attached: 11BDB215-49DC-46FA-B053-10F84B237C35.jpg (807x605, 99K)

Why would i give a fuck? Everybody can observe me 24h if they fancy doing so. I have nothing to hide. Their loss if they want to waste their time watching me.

I could probably write really good horror about the anxiety of being made fun of on the internet when I endlessly rephrase my posts.

People die all the time from pathogenic organisms that re transmitted via insect. Only 50,000 deaths were ever attributed to DDT. Further complicating this is that one application of DDT might last for decades under the right conditions, whereas modern replacements typically require reapplication - repeatedly exposing both the customer and the applicator. Lack of DDT costs lives. Rather than going from easy access to full prohibition, a better compromise would have been licensed use.

>Are they civilized Indian tribes ?
That is the rub. You would not consider them to be civilized - but they consider themselves as such. My story is a matter of conflicting perspectives and self views.

>Rather than going from easy access to full prohibition, a better compromise would have been licensed use.
I agree but an alternative should be tried.

Write what you know.

>an alternative should be tried
Please, elaborate what you mean by this.

I recognize DDT was fundamental to stop the spread of malaria for instance but it has been proposed to use vector-control methods and basic enviromental sanitation which are more sustainable and cost effective than pesticides.

if nothing truly scares you then you should be able to get inside the mind or truly understand the creeping evil behind horrific elements.
and if you arent then you'll write like an edgelord anyways, which is what most of horror fiction is.

in reality you probably have never understood true horror beyond tv movies and music.
have you ever felt fear or terror?
just becuase you got over it doesnt mean others have.

No... i wouldn't reccomend that course of action.
You are undeserving of a well-adjusted partner.
See a therapist first. Gain some empathy. You'll only waste her time otherwise.