When I was small...

>When I was small, I would watch the young men parade the portable shrine through the streets at the local shrine festival. They were intoxicated with their task, and their expressions were of an indescribable aban-don, their faces averted; some of them even rested the backs of their necks against the shafts of the shrine they shouldered, so that their eyes gazed up at the heavens. And my mind was much troubled by the riddle of what it was that those eyes reflected....
>For many a month, therefore, the enig-
ma continued to occupy my mind; it was only much later,
after I had begun to learn the language of the flesh, that
I undertook to help in shouldering a portable shrine,
and was at last able to solve the puzzle that had plagued
me since infancy. They were simply looking at the sky.

Am I missing something? What did Yukio mean by this?

Attached: aca7dce603845cdd7cfa134bfba03060.jpg (497x750, 60K)

Maybe that their expression wasn't one of spirituality but of physical labour.

There are things you can't understand by intellectual pursuit alone.

Oh, is that what he means when he talks against words? I still don't know what he meant by words preexisted himself or his flesh.

Maybe through physical exertion, they achieved a spiritual belonging, its a not uncommon sentiment across religions

They didn't.

Yes, they did, this is the whole point of that book mate

Shrines are heavy. He mistook physical exertion for a spiritual state, which it is in a way.

Like most of Mishima's writing, it's about spiritual ascension trough the pursuits of one's physical refinement.

Attached: Ascension power.png (256x256, 71K)

Only through the group, I realised — through sharing the suffering of the group — could the body reach that height of existence that the individual alone could never attain. And for the body to reach that level at which the divine might be glimpsed, a dissolution of individuality was necessary. The tragic quality of the group was also necessary, the quality that constantly raised the group out of the abandon and torpor into which it was prone to lapse, leading it to an ever-mounting shared suffering and so to death, which was the ultimate suffering. The group must be open to death — which meant, of course, that it must be a community of warriors.

Attached: codreanu.png (2054x1683, 2.04M)

based Codreanu

when we are thinking, we are not at ease. physical exertion provides a wordless mental serenity. we become at one with the environment rather than analysing our place in it or otherwise abstracting the experience.

with respect, you won't really understand this book if you have never done any physical training -- seriously enough that you are actually pushing yourself (not to struggle against your own injurious weakness, but to achieve something through exhaustion). maybe it is not possible for some people to experience that, maybe some people's brains don't work that way. but if you've never felt that strange ephemeral elation, put the book down and go for a run.

(also maybe you are a /fit/ brainlet and you couldn't fathom the meaning. in which case, it's not an easy book and well done for trying.)

Ok big brain nibba. I've actually already read the book and I'm rereading it.

>virgin mishima
>died after being humiliated by his own soldiers laughing at him and an utter failure of a revolution attempt
>chad dazai
>was never serious about his revolutionary dabblings, just did it for shits and giggles
>died at the side of a beautiful woman, had multiple lovers at all points in time even when he was a penniless drug addict
military larping just doesn't pay off

Attached: que-13149575763.jpg (320x276, 20K)

How tf do i achieve this? I need it. I need to have sex like that.

>he thinks Mishima didn't plan to die that day

he didn't plan to have his own guys hold a chuckle over his cringe speech, that's for sure.
behold dazai's cute daughter.

Attached: Exhibit_in_Dazai_Osamu_Literary_Salon_-_Mitaka,_Tokyo_-_DSC09495.jpg (3208x5418, 3.54M)

>Yukio Virgima vs Osamu Chadzai

I ate bad doner now I have diarrea. Its so bad i got demonic nightmares last night, and my intestines are still rumbling now. My anus is clenching hard just so I can stay in bed a while longer. I said this many times before, but now I swear, Im never eating doner again!

Do some manual labor, like gardening or clean your room.

It's the Hegelian notion of becoming familiar with the particulars of life. You can spend hours watching and learning to play an instrument but it isn't a replacement for the real thing