What books deal with finding God, or describe experiences of people finding God?

What books deal with finding God, or describe experiences of people finding God?

Attached: Al anthony.jpg (300x168, 8K)

The Bible (King James Edition).

This.

You know what the fuck im talking about

Wrong. If you‘re not already a believer, the bible won‘t help with that.
Try again user(s).

Crime and Punishment.

That's not really true. Jesus said that he has come to the errant sheep, not the flock, and that someone who went astray and returns will bring more joy to the shepherd than another sheep.

Yes, that's true. But as you said yourself, an errant sheep would be one that already believed once. Someone trying to find his way to faith from scratch would then be a new sheep in your analogy. The bible is very good for errant sheep, but it‘s still too far gone for someone who has never before surrendered to faith.

Very ebin

Attached: 538845.jpg (307x474, 83K)

Brideshead Revisited.

Doesnt matter. The world is too far gone, rotten too deeply. God has turned His back on us.

Submission (Houellebecq), as well Against Nature (Huysmans) it is allegory of.

Attached: sou.jpg (235x362, 17K)

>God has turned His back on us
Never would he ever

Jesus did not perform miracles in Nazareth because of unbelief there, and the modern world is drenched in unbelief.

Read Guenon

Just because he doesn‘t perform miracles because they would fall on deaf ears doesn‘t mean he has forgotten and given up.

Let's be friends you absolute Based God

Have any of you ever had any profoundly spiritual experiences?

Attached: dunno.jpg (892x751, 202K)

William james varieties of religious experience

Define spiritual experiences

An experience where you felt a supernatural presence, or where something occurred that you can only explain as 'divine'

You mean hallucinations and coincidences?

Indeed, fellow enlightened atheist.

t.NPC

So cringey and powerless
I pity the fool

t. NPC

I wouldn’t define it as supernatural. I’d say, when you really reflect on experiences like that what’s so strange about them is that they seem more real than what you’ve been experiencing you’re whole life. It feels like the truth, and everything else is a lie. For me, “spirituality” and “supernatural” are words that belong to the gaze of a godless world

Attached: 41LlfcPYO+L._SX260_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (262x417, 23K)

I'm sure there's better material but I did like Corncob's "Sunset Unlimited," as it seemed to capture American atheism as well as a generalized idea of the itinerant path to faith and faith in Christ, specifically.

Sadly but no. I wish id get a spiritual experience where it all make sense.

I grew up in a newly proselytized household. My parents took their faith in god very serious, yet it wasn‘t washed out by generations of just blindly following their parents religion (both my parents have left the catholic church in their early 20‘s).
So i have listened to hours of them talking to their friends about their experiences with god. As a child, i was deeply fascinated. Yet as an adult, i‘m sad to say that it was all a matter of perspective. You can experience this whenever you want. You just have to try hard enough and then see everything in the light of god‘s unfathomable ways. If you want, you can make every day experiences feel like a face-to-face with god. You needed apple sauce and there was only one left at the store? Blessed is you! You had a cold and now you feel better? The prayers worked! You just had a healthy baby? God is gracious! You had a baby who wasn‘t healthy? God‘s ways are unfathomable and this is surely a blessing in disguise, god testing your faith and he‘s also only burdening you with what he know you can carry! God is great! You don‘t have enough money for your train ticket and someone pitches in and gifts you 2$? That was an angel for sure! God is watching out for his beloved children!

It‘s nothing but stuff like that. If you call it god‘s grace or human kindness/coincidence is simply a matter of perspective.

Greek Orthodoxy isn't mentioned often enough on this board

Attached: fratricides.jpg (310x500, 36K)

So what do you call it when two people see a shadowy figure in a fully lit room and objects suddenly start to move?

It wasn't the most intense things, but I was walking through a forest when I became overwhelmed by everything: the trees, the earth, the pure air, the birds, the mist, the sunlight itself, it all became the evident Work of Someone. I felt God in the Creation.

It‘s been a while but i remember being inspired

Attached: 142646EE-DC09-454C-981D-306810C19BA3.jpg (338x499, 16K)

>What books...describe experiences of people finding God?
Pic rel

Attached: the-varieties-of-religious-experience-by-william-james.jpg (838x1255, 85K)

But really, is there any hope? It seems unbelief is everywhere, and all religious institutions are crumbling apart and rotting from the inside. There's nothing left but hollow shells.

Not that user but just because the whole world is crumbling doesn't mean you should crumble with it. And why does it matter to you what happens to religious institutions? They are made by men, and all men can be corrupted, they don't embody the greatness of Jesus Christ. Find Jesus in your own heart, user, don't be afraid to feel, don't be afraid to believe. The truth lies inside your own soul, don't do as others do, do as Jesus did

Hallucinations.
See, I‘ll tell you one of the stories my mom and her friend loved to tell:
>mom‘s friend was heavily pregnant
>a few weeks too early, she went into labour
>they were stuck on top of a mountain because they didn't expect the baby to already wanting out
>both my dad and her husband were somewhere else (chopping wood or something)
>there were no cell phones there yadda yadda
>there also were 5 little kids from both our families they had to watch
>they decided to leaves us in the house and pray to god their husbands will soon return whilst in the meantime they take the car to drive to the nearest hospital (about 2h drive)
>my mom didn't even have a driver‘s license, but she drove the car anyways, under the instructions from her friend
>the streets were very narrow and in bad conditions
>at some point there was a passage that was simply too narrow for the car to pass (idk, trough a big crag or something)
>instead of stopping, they prayed and just drove towards the passage (like, wtf mang)
>a miracle happened and they passed without a scratch (they probably just grossly misjudged how broad the car was)
>when they had passed, they looked back and saw a tall and brightly glowing shape right by the passage
>an angel saved us! God is great!

I mean, it truly is ridiculous and that was one of the better stories they discussed...

Freud's Totem and Taboo

Why did Dosto hate catholics?

Idk why he hated them in particular but there‘s a lot to hate about them in general.

>two people have the same hallucination at the same time, when neither have a history of mental illness

>is there any hope?
Unironically in spirituality not tied to religion. It‘s the faith but without the ridiculousness of organized churches and their respective writings.

The 'ridiculousness' of organized churches has been one of the keystones of religion and faith as well, and you can't separate the two. The issue today is that those organized churches have started to rot from within, and left in degrees of unbelief that should've been fought.

>there‘s a lot to hate about them in general.
For example mr. Full house?

>when neither have a history of mental illness
I wouldn‘t put my name under that...
also, you clearly never been in labour. People could tell you whatever and you‘d believe it happened.
My sister and i have a similar story, although i still don‘t know exactly what that was about. It probably belongs to /x/.
>i was about 8, sister 6
>we share a bedroom with a bunkbed
>mom and dad sometimes visit the neighbors for shits and giggles when we‘re already in bed
>tell us they‘ll be next door before we go to bed
>go to bed, fall asleep
>wake up and see a man standing in the middle of the room
>wave it off, telling myself it‘s probably just some blanket or something that looks creepy in the dark
>stare at it
>it moves
>it is wearing a hat
>it has red glowing eyes
>close my eyes and tell myself i‘m dreaming
>ope eyes, it‘s still there
>tell myself it‘s just dad checking if we‘re already sleeping
>dad doesn‘t own a hat like that and he surely also doesn‘t have red eyes, plus he would talk to me to sooth me if he noticed i wasn‘t asleep yet
>try my best to not close my eyes and not fall asleep
>fall asleep anyways because i‘m just a kid
>next day i wake up and wave it off as a night mare
>about 10 years later, sister and i talk about creepy stuff we experienced
>tell her about dark man with red eyes and hat
>she stares at me like i‘m mad
>tells me she saw that man too
>mfw

Idk, we probably just heard too many stories about lucifer

Attached: A353E4DB-4EF1-4C80-9AA5-0D15245EDC88.jpg (1400x1400, 261K)

The issue with churches has and will always be that they‘re led by humans. Humans are never flawless and sooner or later, someone with selfish motives will be in charge.
The risk for religion to be rotten from the core is way too high. Better form your own ideas about a higher power.
This is also by no means a modern occurrence. By NO means.

>mr. Full house
I don‘t get it

Where should i start? The hypocrisie or the voracity?

I went on some church group trip to NYC when I was in high school, didn't really buy into religion at the time but my mom pressured me into going and I was like "whatever it's New York it'll be cool." Anyways, the Franciscan Friars there had some super extravagant mass thing going on that weekend, their annual get together with other monks or something, I can't remember, and during mass, after receiving communion, I was staring up at the crucifix (it was a San Damiano cross, very cool) and felt an absolutely overwhelming presence of Christ's love. Not sure how to describe it but at that moment the world seemed to snap into focus, everything made sense, God was in charge, and I felt absolutely euphoric.

also this

based

Also, Kazantzakis' Saviors of God

Whats up with lit and religion?

It‘s a big topic in literature, fiction and non-fiction

>what's up with literature and the question regarding man's place in the universe, our origin, our purpose?
hmmmm

Attached: chair.jpg (525x478, 19K)

lots of teenagers/young adults like the transcendental aesthetic it brings to their otherwise mundane lives
we all crave the sublime

Laurus

>religion is a matter of aesthetics
Atheists OUT

Christcucks OUT

That could just be sleep paralysis from the both of you. The really inexplicable experiences are when two people experience the same thing and they're fully awake.

Being in labour isn‘t being fully awake though. Being my mom isn‘t fully awake either.

NOBODY MOVE

Attached: D12C320E-C1F8-4CC3-954E-8FEFDA61A20B.jpg (600x600, 43K)

Have you ever considered the possibility that you're continuously performing mental gymnastics in order to avoid any possible threat to the worldview you've settled into?

Yes. But the opposite seems just as constructed. I don‘t know what‘s real anymore.