What is the best book that you have read this year so far??

What is the best book that you have read this year so far??

Attached: 2666robbolano.jpg (393x607, 67K)

I've read a lot of fucking great books this year, including 2666. Pan, the Trial, the Castle, Journey to the End of the Night, The Leopard, etc. Great year.

nice!!!

Best fiction definitly was The Road. I'm also gonna throw some italian futurism in, some of their manifest are surprisingly gripping reads.
Ain't sure about non-fiction, I'm reading quite some interesting things for uni this semester, but currently reading The Birth of the Tragedy by Nietzsche and it's amazing, even if I don't agree much with it.

I know your intentions are nice but keep in mind that excessive punctuation is a sign of lack of expressive power.

please keep in mind that you are a faggot

Attached: fggerergegtgrgrfr.jpg (325x499, 37K)

I'm reading this book and I feel like I should be so fucking bored but somehow he makes it so compelling.

Excluding rereads, it has to be Burton's "Secret Pilgrimage".

This year's highlight has been Pale Fire and I expect it will remain so.

Fiction: Lolita or Ficciones
Non-Fiction: Husserl, Idea of phenomenology or Foucault, Disciplin and Punish.

Dunno, I don't even remember the last book I read

Tell us a bit more. What did you like about it?

Thanks.

Emma by Jane Austen. Nazi Literature in the Americas and Crime and Punishment. Very good books

>What did you like about it?
It's a record of a real adventure, Burton's prose is splendid, and his personality is vivdly alive in the book. It's replete with excellent incident and at the same time he strives to be factual and scholarly about the aims of his quest: describing the hajj and the forbidden places of El-Hejaz to the West.

Álvaro Enrigue's Sudden Death. Good book.

Beyond Good and Evil

Frankenstein

>set goodreads goal at 40 books this year
>currently read: 0
What am I even doing at this point lads

Attached: 1nn3gx.jpg (513x600, 82K)

It's May. How the fuck have you read zero books?

I have no motivation and I am constantly tired

Attached: 1544287006479.png (840x854, 545K)

Sun and Steel by Mishima

Set yourself the goal of reading one book. Make it a long fucker, like 2666. That's your goal for the year. Now sit and read it. Don't come back to Yea Forums until you've finished the book.

>Make it a long fucker, like 2666
I don't know if that's good advice. Something short and snappy might be better to get one back in the habit.

Eat healthy and force yourself to sleep in a regular pattern.

It's good advice. It's his one book for the year. Let it be a long one, at least. Then he can rest easy.

I think it's horrible advice. He should just read something easy and quick to get into the groove.

A 900 page book is a daunting task for someone so unaccustomed. I feel like there'd be a greater chance of quitting.

he sounds like the kind of guy who has nothing to lose. he should go all in

I mean hey, it's his choice. If he feels up to it who am I to stand in his way.

Godspeed.

Probably Dune, it was fantastic and lived up to expectations, tried to get into the sequel but the drop in quality was so drastic I stopped. I'm on a sci kick now after spending all last year on Pynchon and Cormac McCarthy. Mason & Dixon, V., and Blood Meridian are among the best books I've ever read but I'm fucking exhausted and sticking to stuff that's more easily digestible. Three Body Problem is p gud so far

is this the deepest level wojak?

>Despair and agony (superior)

Attached: 1556350378646.jpg (750x745, 402K)

Lincoln in the Bardo

half way through and its def not what I expected, but its so good. McCarthy's style is very unique and the imagery hes able to create is unlike anything else. Of-course with the help of google for some of the forestry descriptions I feel like im on a journey with them.

Anyone know if The Border Trilogy is as good? I was gonna make a thread for it but might aswell ask here

Attached: FE9B820D-983A-491D-8030-C299685569B6.png (1665x960, 2.17M)

this is art. this should be hanging in a gallery

Wow!!! A bunch of titles that are posted here daily.

Probably A Farewell to Arms

circus fire by stewart o'nan. I read last night at the lobster, then circus fire, then I reread last night (it's a great one-sitting read if you have an afternoon to blow) and then emily, alone which is also great AND probably a good gift for your parents

look the guy up

so far The Aleph

Got a lot of books I wanted to read read this year and really enjoyed them but if I had to say what I've enjoyed the most it would be ishiguro - the remains of the day. Everything I've read by him makes me cry

enjoy it, was pretty bummed when I finished it. I still think about it

T S Eliot's four quarters was really good

the sot weed factor by John Barth
amazing

Literally just finished this about an hour ago, first half was a bit of a slog for me, couldn't face more than 10 pages at a time. It kept me up at night, I felt guilty because I wasn't enjoying Hemmingway, and just felt like I was missing something. I had read tomats before and that was fantastic but being his last book it was hugely difference to his first. When the Austrians advanced and everyone got depressed it was much better, smashed the last 90 pages on the train home and the end hit me hard.

"othello was a nigger"

I read four of Patrick Modiano's novellas in a quick period of time and I have to be honest - when I was done with them I thought they were cozy and nostalgic but strike me as being "great," but I can't stop thinking about them

This was really good.

thanks, you too

he may be a faggot but you clearly took his advice in your next post kek

Pic related made me fall in love with Henry James. All four stories are great and really immersive for any lover of literature. After reading some of his earlier work, I am now reading The Ambassadors and struggling quite a bit. I really like the prose but somehow I find it hard to keep my focus.

Attached: 51 O2LDSSEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (329x500, 46K)

Do I have to be big brained or know anything about poetry to read Pale Fire? I'm so clueless when it comes to poetry but I really want to read it.

Read that last year. Fantastic, blew my mind.

Not at all, as a matter of fact it's a good introduction to poetry, as the narrator explais aspects of the poem in his commentary

>struggling quite a bit
That is normal, mate.
The work is worth it, in my opinion, but James is not an easy read.

Thank you user, I will read it soon then.

The best book I've read this year has been Borge's Labyrinths.

Attached: Labyrinths.jpg (328x499, 32K)

toss up between Crime and Punishment and Gilead.

Thanks user. I think it's also because I am usually a very fast reader and have to consciously slow down to be able to fully appreciate the prose. I am already halfway through though, so I will definitely finish it

Attached: tartar-steppe_DRG_300-375x564.jpg (375x564, 25K)

Okay, I get that Crime is good, everyone agrees that's a classic, but what's Punishment and Gilead? Never heard of that book desu

I haven't read many books which would compete for the #1 spot of this year, but The White People by Arthur Machen has really impressed me.

By far my least favorite Hemingway book?

>The Road
I'm not sure why, but I strongly dislike that book. It feels so bland and a B movie horror to me. Least favorite compared to NCFOM and Blood Meridian.

Attached: 1442110806437.jpg (1280x1280, 233K)