How many books did you read this year so far?

How many books did you read this year so far?

Attached: 1519394076917.jpg (640x718, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2019/62429822
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm quite behind on my reading, only finished 12 so far

12 is pretty good, what were they? Any recommendations?

That's yuge, you read big tomes or novellas?

17. i’m a grad student so that’s the best i can do

A bit of both, average is probably about 350 pages

The only books I managed to finish are Bakemonogatari 1 and 2. I've been sluggishly getting through Within a Budding Grove for the last few months and should be able to push through before June.

How should I know? I can’t remember what my girlfriend’s name is and you expect me to remember how many books I have read? I don’t even know what month it is

three. if you claim to have """read""" more than five since January, either:
A) you didn't read them, you skimmed them
B) you think novellas, short stories, essays, and poetry anthologies count as full length books
C) you're an attention seeking liar

>tfw only read 6

Attached: brainlet1.png (601x508, 127K)

I have no idea. Scrolling trough my kindle and trying to reconstruct when i‘ve read a book, plus some physical copies, i‘d say definitely more than 16, no more than 20. all non-fiction though.

doesent take me 4 months to read 6 books... I could've easily got around this number if I didn't have school

Do technical manuals count? If they do I'm at like 10 but if they don't I'm at 5.

Attached: 1550619927915.webm (640x720, 2.47M)

how can you get meaningful info from books with a memory like that?

oh right thanks for the reminder
D) you have literally nothing else to do
sure

No my friend, my secret is that i have all my books on my kindle app, which i have with me all the time. This way i can continue reading whenever i got five mins. I read whenever i‘m on the toilet, have to wait in line, am bored, basically every time you take out your smartphone. I also only read books that get me into this „can‘t wait to continue reading“ state. Everything else gets tossed out. I know i have sacrificed many good night‘s sleeps for reading, but i still think it‘s worth it.
Reading ebooks also gives me the feeling that i am just reading a long ass article, which makes me want to read it in one go. I have no idea how many physical pages the books i‘ve read would have had, but they weren‘t short stories or anything like that. Every single one was a full book. It‘s all a matter of how closely a book can match the informations you are seeking, thus immersing yourself completely. I always read in a „HOLY SHIT, can‘t wait to find out what this has in store next!“ state.

11. About to be 12 though

I could see myself reading more books if I completely cut out all my other hobbies like video games. I probably spend 20 of my free hours on video games a week, plus work is 40 and then all chores. I only get a couple hours but I can read fast.

Burger King has a tendency to call their burgers sandwiches, at least here in Canada. Sure, maybe a burger joint doesn't want the connotations that come along with burger: the idea that they're sloppy, greasy, unhealthy, whathaveyou--now that's fine for every place except for fucking Burger King. BURGER King. It's in the gaddamn name.

Relevant

Rise and Kill First, and To the Finland Station were both great and well written especially Wilson. Dehumanization of Art by Ortega y Gasset was a fun read, but short

see option D here , that's where you are

You can go a long way with even an hour of reading a day, that's not a huge commitment

I don‘t have any other time consuming hobbies i am pursuing right now, that‘s right. I‘m also anti social to the core. So i wouldn‘t say i‘m spending a sane and normal amount of time on reading, yes.

also anti-social, just not used to the idea of having literally only one hobby

I do hobbies cyclical. I have phases i am completely immersed in vidya, other where i play piano for hours on end, times where i swim like a maniac and then there‘s the reading phases. Guess i‘m in one of those right now. I like it that way because then i can dully concentrate and do what i like until i grow tired of it. I always come back tough, when it feels like i‘m ready for the next step.

I'm similar, but I cycle more openly. at any given time, I'm mildly obsessed with two or three of the following: reading, listening to music, composing music, conlanging, video games, and watching anime. right now it's conlanging and video games, so I haven't really put as much into reading as usual. I'll probably cycle back and end up binging like four books in one month though

What have you done instead?

Just 20 pages per day would be 8 books by now (if we take the average book to have 300 pages)

reflected on what books i enjoyed reading when i was a bookworm; and ive been writing a story of my own that i hope to transform into a book series. So far it is going pretty damn well. Hope writing is as easy as it seems. I mean, Paolini did it when he was like 16.

Good for you! I hope you‘re working on a masterpiece.

Paolini had connected and rich parents

thanks a lot! :)
it really is a special form of bliss when you know you have a good story you want to tell, and feel strongly that it will surprise people and contribute to the genre enough (to be worth writing). I hope everybody gets to feel this atleast once.
thanks a lot :(

Infinite Jest
Book of Longing
High Fidelity
Oblivion (DFW)
Wake In Fright
The Waves
On The Road
Pale Fire
Collected Poems - William Carlos Williams
Pnin
Tropic of Capricorn
The Beach
The Sunset Limited
Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores
Cannery Row
Stoner
Monkey Grip

I've start Taipei, and I've got The Sun Also Rises and Winesburg, Ohio on my bedside table.

~25 some short and some long.

None…

Attached: C0AC4777-78AC-4FDD-A4B8-86F3DB5AF0DD.jpg (1600x900, 77K)

Why would I keep track

Attached: 1546052241532.png (100x100, 4K)

14, I've started to get into some political and economic books, I really enjoyed Jacobin/Verso books and Platform Capitalism.

just one and its crime and punishment. started reading feburary 2018

Are you fucking retarded?

goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2019/62429822

Amateurs the lot of you

Attached: Opera Snapshot_2019-05-06_204136_www.goodreads.com.png (940x739, 227K)

09/01/19: Las Muecas del Miedo (Enrique Medina)
12/01/19: The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman)
02/02/19: The Terror (Dan Simmons)
06/02/19: Deuda de Honor (Enrique Medina)
15/02/19: Surprised by Joy (C.S. Lewis)
24/02/19: Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
05/03/19: The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux)
22/03/19: Dracula (Bram Stoker)
04/04/19: The Monk (Matthew Lewis)
11/04/19: Star Wars Red Harvest (Joe Schreiber)
26/04/19: The Castle of Otranto (Horace Walpole)

I haven't read anything since The Castle of Otranto, I'm focusing more on studying and videogames.

I've read 17:
>Guan Hanqing - The Injustice to Dou E
>Lao-zi - Daodejing
>Unknown - The Kudrunlied
>Solomon Volkov - Testimony
>Vladimir Nabokov (Tr.) - The Song of Igor's Campaign
>Aleksandr Pushkin - Ruslan and Ludmila
>Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment
>Houellebecq - Whatever
>Lev Shestov - Dostoevsky and Nietzche
>Dostoevsky - Notes from the Underground
>Mishima - The Sailor who fell from Grace with the Sea
>Tolstoy - The Death of Ivan Ilich
>Liu Zhang - Zhong Kui, the Demon Hunter
>Thomas Bernhard - The Lime Works
>Lovecraft - Herbert West, Reanimator
>Richard Wagner - Tristan und Isolde
>Knut Hamsun - Hunger
I could have read more.

Attached: book2.jpg (1448x2048, 499K)

About 10

Twenty books.
Last one finished was Spring Snow. Reading 100 Years of Solitude now.

Attached: books.jpg (931x953, 283K)

same

12, i was reading a book every week. Then I started reading poetry last month and haven't read any book at all other than my poetry anthology and poems online.

Let's see

>The Nibelungenlied
>Fear and Trembling
>Iwein
>Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>Under the Dome (was shit)
>The Myth of Sisyphus (read it again)
>The Succession Duology
>Notes from the Underground
>Ubik
>The Faustbuch
>Existentialism Is Humanism
>Parasyte (don't know if manga counts)
>The Foundation Trilogy
>Ficciones

Overall that puts me at 16, which is pretty piss-poor to be honest but I'm just getting back into reading after being a suicidal piece of shit for a while. I've also been keeping up with Ward as it gets released so that's a few extra books in length added technically, but I won't count it because it's an unfinished serial.

Currently reading The Trojan War: A New History before I jump into the Iliad for the second time.

Attached: 425FD405-5048-4BBF-84E6-FDB58688CB97.jpg (1600x927, 355K)

Can't seem to get any reading done while at university, the assigned readings are so draining, usually around 60 pages for each course every week

How did you like the Nibelungenlied?
I instantly fell in love with it, when I read it. It's one of the greatest epics ever written.

16 complete and the next 15 or so are planned out. I'll probably end the year around 40.

>read 26
>currently reading 29
special kind of hell.

16. My goal is 60 by the end of the year, so a bit behind schedule. Been in a bit of a slump lately, so only read like 4 books in the last two months. Last year I managed to complete my 52 book reading challenge, and I read perhaps 1/3 of that during my summer break, so hopefully this summer will be just as productive.

7 IIRC

Reading Spring Snow right now but find it really boring. Anyone here that had the same issue?

8 philosophy
7 fiction
6 general nonfiction

How did you like hunger, just picked it up

Attached: 25.jpg (613x917, 227K)

Just finished it. I liked it but I guess it is kind of a slow burn.
Mishima likes to talk about the flowers and the trees etc.
If you don't like that you'll probably never be a big fan of him.

I found it meh. Maybe I expected too much. It's pretty "directionless" as far as I can tell. Nothing pays off. Though it's better if you can get into the shoes of the "suffering artist who constantly tries catching lightning in a bottle".
"Wow, it's literally me" at times, but at the same time, I didn't get much enjoyment out of it. It evoke no particular feelings of shame or excitement, like C&P did. If I can't "enjoy" something, at least it should make me feel sick of existence out of shame for a good two weeks. This did neither.

Three or four. I've been too busy with studying and work.

Attached: alien.jpg (100x100, 4K)

About 5, currently reading Albert Speers biography.

Maybe...2 or 3. My brain has rotted, I don't know how to get it up and running again.

Around 15. All except 1 were philosophy.

I suddenly realised that I can't remember what I've read, so here is a list.

Hegel's Aesthethics vol.1
Situating the Self: Gender, Community and Postmodernism in Contemporary Ethics
The Birth of Tragedy
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
The Conflict of Interpretations: Essays in Hermeneutics
The Rule of Metaphor: Multi-Disciplinary Studies of the Creation of Meaning in Language
Kafka: Toward a Minor Literature
Plato's Dialogues up until The Republic
Poétique de la prose
Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison
Aristotle's Rhetorics
Baudrillard's America
Being and Time

and Bernhard's Frost.

I may be forgeting someting, but I'm suprised that I was so close with the number.

>Bernhard's Frost.
Did you like it? How was it?

I've been reading Plato again for the past month or so.

Attached: 6.png (751x4623, 3.47M)

Hey, I also read The Birth of Tragedy and Discipline & Punish this year. How did you find the Poofter of Poitiers?

The prose is thick as fuck. The narrator says that he keeps a tome of Henry James on his nightstand and the stylstic comparrasion is evident. I've only read Corruption by Berhnard and the thematic cornerstones are nearly the same - a young man falls under the (textual) influnces of a older genius. The figure of the latter to me is really Zarathrstish (I've read Thus Spoke a couple of weeks after I've finished Frost) and there are some really memorable quotes from the painter Strauch.
His whole persona is really an embodiment of the term "black pill", so the book can get pretty tedious when you sum up it's style, offputting world and overall outlook.

It get's a recommendation from me, but it may be a tad bit too heavy if you are not in the mood for hate.

I've also read a anthology of his essays and volume 1 of The History of Sexuality, so I was familiar with his approach to historical matters.
I enjoyed the vivid quotations of torture the most, which kind of made me wish I just read a book on that instead. Still I was suprised that after the critique of the penitentiary system as a whole, he took it to another level, explaing how the jail as a description device (in broad terms) led to the reintregration of the criminal element in the justice systems in the figure of the snitch as so on.
I've also read Agamben Homo sacer which explains roughly the same mechanism of reincorporation of the transgressive.
Not my favorite book, but I wouldn't call it a waste of time.

what about you btw?

this

Very excellent analysis, especially the parts where he draws developmental comparisons between "the sovereign" and the disciplinary model, the inquisitive model of investigation and the model of examination, the understanding of power as concentrated or diffuse, etc. I don't even think he explicitly mentioned the nature of the doctor prior to the hospital, but from his analysis one can see how the doctor's behavior is analogous to that of the monarch, but the purposes for which it is intended are reversed. Instead of the king letting blood as an act of vengeance, the doctor lets blood as an act of compassion, and this demonstrates the pervasive notion of power as correlated with intensive degree of knowledge rather than extensive quantity (the physical body of the master vs. the later incorporeal "body" of knowledge in general) that dominated aristocratic learning at the time.

If you liked those descriptions of torture, you might like a book called "Crime and Culture in Early Modern Germany," by Joy Wiltenburg. She goes fairly deeply into the specific mechanisms of the Constitutio Criminalis Carolina that relate to torture and the effect that the dissemination of knowledge and representations of torture in the form of printed materials had on public sentiment and subsequent judiciary reform.

I’ve read 3 books this year.
They were:

Mein Kampf
Plato’s republic
Aristotle’s rhetoric

Frankly I don't think it holds a candle to Homer in terms of characters or plot. It does say some interesting things about how people viewed storytelling at the time though.

8, I think

>Thanks for asking.

The Monk is so dope.

Thanks for the recommendation! I don't think I will be able to read anything outside of my "prepare for the phd exam (again)" list anytime this month, but I will find and safe the book on my computer, so I don't forget.
The parallel you draw between doctors and kings is interesting. I don't think I remember it from the book this way, even if I can recall the latter part about information as power. Sounds like something from his book about the clinical institutions. But the way you've said it, makes me recall Naked Lunch and the figure of Benway. I guess not all doctors act with compassions and some do more cutting than others. Still, the line of thought still holds, since Benway has a lot to do with information in the book too.

that said, I don't like power structures.

What kind of technical manuals are we talking about?

about half of them were short, though. 'no longer human', 'hunger', 'fathers and sons', 'a hero of our time' etc

I'm on number 22 right now. A few longer ones, a few shorter genre fiction books, and one biography.
Would probably be more if I didn't work 45-50 hours a week and try to maintain a modicum of a social life.

meg mogg & owl is the only graphic novel I've ever liked

+Saussure's Lectures

currently reading Russian Formalism: A Metapoetics

>reading books
Haha

I think about...12?
About half of them were about 300-500 pages though.

130. No, I don't count short stories or YA shit or kids' books. I do count collections of short stories. I'm a NEET and I read 12 hours a day. I'm on track for my goal of 365 books this year.

P.S. Many of you could be reading much more but you keep making shitty excuses. This thread is full of 'em. Even a wageslave working 8 hours a day can read for 7 hours a day if he feels like it.

I’m about a third of the way through Tender is the Night

are you me user? i'm on the exact same thing

Some of us have social lives, my overcompensating friend.

26. Been slowing down cause of finals and it hurts my soul

Seveneves - Neal Stephenson
Frolic of the Beasts - Yukio Mishima
The Waste Land - T.S. Eliot
This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Sound of Waves - Yukio Mishima
Essays in Idleness and Hojoki - Kenko and Chomei
Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
Fathers and Children - Ivan Turgenev
Chess Story - Stefan Zweig
Mona Lisa Overdrive - William Gibson
Unknown Pleasures - Peter Hook
Nausea - Jean Paul Sartre
Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Austerlitz - W.G. Sebald
The Master & Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea - Yukio Mishima
Confusion - Stefan Zweig
V. - Thomas Pynchon
Dead Souls - Nikolai Gogol
Vertigo - W.G. Sebald
The Post-Office Girl - Stefan Zweig
Petersburg - Andrei Bely
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
The Luzhin Defense - Vladimir Nabokov
The Age of Insight - Eric R. Kandel

A book a week is more than doable. More is a Yea Forumszen, less is nomie area. Of course Novals tend to be the fastest, with nonfiction a little slower (unless you know the subject really well) and philosophy much slower.

Read better material

What app or website is that?
Is that good reads? I always want to track what I read but then feel like a faggot and dont

Lolita
We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Treasure Island
Animal Farm
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Old Man and the Sea
The Great Gatsby
Dubliners
Metamorphosis
The Historian
Meditations

Currently halfway through Crime and Punishment

Started in 2018 but finished in 2019
>The Little Book Of Mathematical Principles, Theories and Things
>Lucky Jim
Started and finished in 2019
>No Longer Human
>Philosophy: The Basics (reread)
>The Great Gatsby (reread)
>The Metamorphosis, In The Penal Colony and Other Stories: The Great Short Works of Franz Kafka (Neugroschel)
>Faust: Part One (Luke)
>Things: A Story of the Sixties/A Man Asleep
>The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea
>Mrs Dalloway
>Don Quixote (Grossman)
>Welcome to the NHK
>A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (reread)
>The Stranger (Ward) (reread)
>The Meursault Investigation
>Invisible Cities
>Daisy Miller/The Turn of the Screw
>The Story Of Philosophy
>Hunger
>Snow Country
Currently reading
>Crime and Punishment (Ready)
>Myths of Greece and Rome
>The Book Of Disquiet
Admittedly most of these are really short but I don’t know how someone can have read under 10 books so far unless they’re literally reading Ulysses, Gravity’s Rainbow, Zettels Traum, The Bible, Women and Men and The Recognitions

so in other words, you're new

38, all philosophy and literary fiction

Attached: 1555870615601.jpg (720x960, 114K)

Didn't read many novels but completed a ton of short stories from anyone who's ever penned down a short story and some from old pulp magazines such as Galaxy/IF and F&SF

>Noval

What are you reading next, user? Perhaps you might be me

19 total. I'd count nine as serious novels though, the rest are graphic novels or very light reading (

BTW, the booklist is:
Housekeeping / Marilynne Robinson
The Icarus Girl / Helen Oyeyemi
My Year of Rest and Relaxation / Otessa Moshfegh
Lonesome Dove / Larry McMurtry
Cat's Cradle / Kurt Vonnegut (I know, this is a short one)
Swamplandia! / Karen Russell
A Pale View of Hills / Kazuo Ishiguro
Sour Heart / Jenny Zhang

Plan to cover some more classics and 20th century lit later this year.

7(seven) but during my degree year

Working on several more at the moment.

Attached: Capture.png (697x559, 42K)

Just 4.
all were over 1000 pages though

Recently, it seems most people who come here think "read" means "repeat the words in one's head." This is not a commentary on subvocalizing.

How much Nabokov have you read? What would you recommend to read after finishing Lolita?

peak brainletry

thanks for the (You)'s

do wikipedia articles count?

i are do not read

I've experienced a renaissance of reading since November, mostly thanks to Yea Forums recommendations which, with only a handful of exceptions, were good.
Since 1 January:
>American Pastoral (started late Dec)
>Homage to Catalonia
>Industrial Society and its Future (obviously, just an essay)
>Old Man and the Sea
>Conspiracy Against the Human Race
>The Elementary Particles
>Submission
>Desolation Angels
>Whatever
>White Noise
>Notes on the Death of Culture
>The Legal Analyst
>Hunger
>No Longer Human

I've read through most of his novels in the past year (working on Ada now). Most of them are really good. Despair is the closest to Lolita in narration, Laughter in the Dark is the closest in theme. I would strongly recommend all his novels (and the excellent Speak, Memory), but I found Mary, The Defense, The Eye and Bend Sinister his weakest works. But in my opinion, he's one of the best novelists of all time, so even those are above average.

If you like the style of Lolita, I would also recommend 'Money' by Martin Amis, who is very much influenced by Nabokov stylistically.

Forgot to mention that my favourite works of his (in addition to Lolita) are The Gift, Sebastian Knight, Pale Fire, Ada (so far) and Speak, Memory. These works really bring the Nabokovian dreamworld to its height. Underrated classics are: Glory and Invitation to a Beheading.

In short: If you like Lolita, read everything else he wrote (don't expect all of it to be as good, but there's a lot to love in all of his work). I also started with Lolita and then began reading his oeuvre start-to-finish, and it's been very rewarding so far.

>Irving Stone, The Agony and the Ecstasy
>Stanley Wolpert, A New History of India
>Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five
>Howard Zinn, A People's History of the United States

I am a brainlet unfortunately.

I unfortunately have been fairly busy with schooling, so I've only actually gotten 9 of the leisure books I've had set aside read so far. It's not a race though, and the upcummies you get from bragging about how many books you've read is ultimately a fairly shallow dopamine thrill in the long run.

reading only four isn't the reason you're a brainlet, it's what you chose. I mean really, SH5 and People's History?