It sucks

It sucks.

Attached: Shadow_of_the_torturer.jpg (200x294, 41K)

no u

can you elaborate?

Attached: 1556062225195.jpg (1500x588, 154K)

Sleep little one
Till darkness is by
Sleep till the sun
Rises up in the sky

I'm curious because of Wolfe's status but at the same time repelled by the extreme edgy descriptions I've been given of it.

It actually doesn't. Nice try though sweety, better luck next time.
>extreme edgy descriptions
Such as? I've read it, I can tell if you if they're accurate.

Gratuitous violence and rape plus the usual badass but shallow protagonist that plagues a lot of fantasy novels and eventually fuck all the girls. I don't mind these things if they are used in a self-conscious way (like in Snow Crash) but I find it hard to follow when the book takes itself seriously, like with Game of Thrones.

Literally nothing that happens in BoNS is gratuitous, except in the sense that novels per se are not a necessity for life but a luxury. Some things are inscrutable, but everything in the books is there for a purpose. Also, Severian is the opposite of badass but shallow.

I thought the first two books were 6/10 and the latter two 9/10, I doubt this anecdote will make you read the later books in the series but I hope otherwise

Far from it. The protag is about as far from a classic fantasy hero as you could get. For instance, at the risk of a slight spoiler, Severian is expelled from the order of torturers for showing kindness to a client. A great deal of the story concerns his attempts to avoid the violence and cruelty that fate seems to have destined him to inflict.

>Gratuitous violence
The protagonist is a torturer and executioner, but I wouldn't describe the violence as "gratuitous". If anything it is mundane; just as carpentry is mundane for the carpenter, plumbing for the plumber.

Interesting, you three sparkled my interest for it. I had The Fifth Head of Cerberus higher on my list because of its themes but I might give TSOTT a try first if I can get past his writing.

Contrary to the other anons, I would say that the first novel is *arguably* disguised as this type of book and that you shouldn't let that put you off if you find it so. It really isn't. The series is a deep well and a deep mystery; each part of it adds retroactively to the preceding parts.

Attached: 1534656980673.png (1768x1212, 160K)

this is the most brainlet take I've read to date
good job user

I gave it about 100 pages and couldn't get into it. I have a way easier time with hard sci fi kind of books than i do with fantasy where there's a whole element of made up magic and shit I have to take in before I get to the story.

Severian is fun because he's this semi autistic lad who is not aware of it and acts in weird ways all the time but the guy just doesn't take the hint

But there isn't any magic?

so what's the deal with jonas

What do you mean?

Save this for the book club lad

the autism required to make such an image

>muh catholicism