Fiction is Garbage

Reading fiction is an absolute waste of time. Fiction provides none of the benefits of nonfiction and can only serve as escapism, and the need to avoid reality is the sign of a weak, inferior, mind.

If you absolutely need to partake in childish fantasies, modern media provides objectively superior avenues for escapism than fiction ever could. No novel can ever be as engaging as a film or video game.

The only thing reading fiction accomplishes is rotting your mind away. If you're going to waste your time like that you might as well just watch the newest superhero blockbuster and actually enjoy yourself.

Read philosophy. Read history. Read to learn about reality. Don't waste your life reading fiction.

Attached: 6f3f246ea358c677657f527b512a6583.jpg (1280x1918, 324K)

stories is and has been the single best way to pass knowledge forward in history, so kill yourself

how is the prison experience treating you so far, Mr Assange?

>read philosophy. read history. read to learn about reality.
Based.
>fiction is a waste of time
You fucked that part up. Ask yourself: is there inherent value in just looking at the world (reality) around you, and taking it for what it is? Was Emerson wrong when he talked about the transparent eyeball? And is interest in philosophy/history/reality not in part intrinsically valuable in that sense? Then you will realize that fiction boils down to combined and arranged bits of reality. The structure and the bits are already good for their own sake. Why would fiction be less valuable? And if there is merit to aesthetics, and some art objects are better than others, why would pursuing high-quality art (including fictional literature) be a bad thing? Good fiction also communicates good thinking (philosophy) and even knowledge (history and reality). Nothing prevents some good ideas from first popping up in fiction either.

And this I know thanks to my having read philosophy. Many philosophers value good fiction, by the way.

You do understand that there is fiction besides say Dan Brown, right? You see, philosophical ideas are a common topic in even not so serious fiction. And who says that language itself and the ability to articulate or even conceptualize your thoughts and the social reality around you is not 'learning something'. How do you understand history without understanding the individual human? You won't find the entirety of his being in a biology book.
You seem to think that fiction is about dragons or something like that, not realizing that even dragons ultimately address a human reality, our most fundamental structure of evolved existence.

Your the exact kind of person who should read fiction because you have the emotional intelligence of a 15 year old.

WETAWD AWERT! WEEUU WEEUU! WETAWD AWERT!

A lot of philosophy is written in the form of fiction.

OP is just saying this because they're a shit story teller with a shit imagination. Reality is a story anons.

>implying you don’t apply to your life the illusion of structure and cause and effect that narration provides
fiction is your baseline

>nothing but escapism
Yeah that's the point
>films, vidya > any novel
False
>read phil
Much of philosophy is literally fictional

I used to be like you, reading only things that I found a value in. Never fiction, because it provides no facts or knowledge, so it's worthless. Right?
Eventually you get tired of reading page after page of dry instruction. It just gets to be boring. Every once in a while I want to read something that paints a world in my mind. The story is richer and more adaptable than movies. I can imagine it however I want, so you avoid that hollywood white girl w/ black dude trend :^)

Yea that stupid nigga PLATO never referenced any fiction and only used facts and logic.

No way would he ever reference works of homer or any other classic fictional lit.

fucking smooth-brains get off my board!!

Also is Journey to the West worth a read?

Attached: 438.png (468x468, 11K)

is reading threads form of fiction or non-fic?

Attached: e8c.jpg (607x340, 109K)

One can learn just as much if not MORE from a narrative tale.. if you don't "Read Fiction" then you just haven't a taste for the WORD. Sorry, but keep looking..

You already made this thread yesterday and we already agreed that everything is fiction to one degree or another. You need to reformulate your argument or stop posting

I was the one making that thread yesterday. Either op is an impersonator or didn‘t see it.

Also, is there particularly catching and beautiful fiction you would rec me to give it a try again and learn to appreciate art solely for it‘s aesthetic pleasure?

Moby Dick

If a piece of writing makes an argument and that argument is wrong, does that make it a piece of fiction?

Fiction is a hyperreality, it's more effective in translating art and philosophy than imperfect accounts of history or longwinded philosophical treatises.

That was the conclusion of the thread yesterday. Since it‘s all just theory, there‘s only fiction.

>Reading fiction is an absolute waste of time
>Read philosophy
You've never read philosophy.
>Read history.
You've never read history.
>Read to learn about reality
You don't know anything about reality. Because anyone with a decent knowledge of human history knows the importance of pattern, symbolic communication, and metaphor is to any civilization, and these things manifest in making fiction.
>Reading fiction is an absolute waste of time. Fiction provides none of the benefits of nonfiction and can only serve as escapism, and the need to avoid reality is the sign of a weak, inferior, mind.
Why? For a person extolling the virtues of knowing philosophy and history (and implicitly the historical method), you haven't a clue how to present a case. You're obviously a pseud.
>No novel can ever be as engaging as a film or video game.
Yes, it can, because only the novel can be communicated purely through symbolic communication. it takes place only in the mind. The impetus for imagination, empathy, and understanding lies on the reader. I love all art, but only the novel immerses purely in the form of mind.
This is reminiscent of Plato's Forms. Your lack of consideration of which further proves that you're an illiterate pseud.

>the need to avoid reality is the sign of a weak, inferior, mind.
why's that

History is fiction.

Its not like Plato would be such a pleb to frame his philosophical investigations in the form of fictional conversations. Only a fukn braindead pleb would do that.

>thinks history is any less fictional than Lord of the Rings
In 200 years people will believe that WW2 was won by brave gender-fluid womenfolk of color

At a certain point you start to wonder who are the types of people actually responding genuinely to posts like these.

It's like debate at the kindergarten level. To give threads like these the semblance of being a serious or interesting topic is really pathetic.

>"I'm such Chad that I cope with existence by obssessing over women online and beating my meat to them instead of turning to escapist literature, my mind is alpha af."

I disagree even though the majority of what I read is nonfiction

Yeah bud I'm sure 100% of your day is pure, robotic efficiency and you never do anything for pleasure. Especially by the Yea Forums posting

Attached: Daenerys-Targaryen.jpg (1024x683, 76K)

>Read philosophy. Read history.

But you just said not to read fiction.