Post-punk

Hey Yea Forums, I'm looking for some literature that's aesthetically similar to Public Image Ltd., The Fall, and other 1970s-1980s post-punk bands. What do you recommend? I've already read a bit of Kafka, Camus, and Joyce.

Attached: public-image-ltd-band-171209_1920x.jpg (1920x1080, 358K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/AWalkingAphrodisiacByNicholasBlacksmith
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Read the symbolists, Rimbaud especially, Bataille, and Gira and Cave has written books.

Story of the Eye is Copenhagens (post)postpunksceen's collective favourite book.

Are Gira's or Cave's books any good?

I've only seen the better than food reviews...

I've heard that one of cave's later books should be shit but I don't know about and the ass saw the angel

Music and literature don't correlate

Attached: aabe4e0fe635e508-e1490304349905-800x400.jpg (800x400, 35K)

Punk is shit. If you like shit, read archive.org/details/AWalkingAphrodisiacByNicholasBlacksmith

Excuse me?

Attached: image.jpg (645x476, 69K)

Post-punk along with goth music were HEAVILY inspired by romanticism of all kinds. Obviously Pomo as well, there’s an interview with Flipper where they go through some literary influences and name Kafka as deeply influencing them.

ass saw the angel is a really effective genre exercise, totally worth reading if you dig the southern gothic sensibility.

Check out Morrissey's writing

Attached: 235235.jpg (640x640, 87K)

Because I've now got This is not a Love Song alternating with Oswald's Defense Lawyer alternating in my head (very different bands btw, user) I'm going to rec Delillo's Libra.

Henry Rollins had a zine called 2.13.61, should have some stuff and there is at least one collection in print of it. Gira was in it, think Cave as well, many from those scenes wrote stories for it as well as some authors and forgotten people.

I wrote a novel with a deliberate postpunk aesthetic and themes in my 20s but I never submitted it for publication anywhere.

Jarry

These kind of threads are really really dumb. But I would guess read the leftist politics of 1970s-80s England?

The original punks weren't leftist. They were apolitical. They just adopted political symbols as fashion statements. The Sex Pistols weren't actually anarchists. The Clash was maybe more genuinely political but still it was just a fashion statement mostly. The few exceptions were bands like Crass who were legit political, but there was only a handful of them and they were never huge figureheads in the way the shock or fun bands were. Punk didn't become really political until hardcore in the 1980s. Postpunk was probably the least political punk style music ever was, even less so than the first wave. Punk revival became super political in the 1990s when kids looked back on the original punk movement and didn't understand it and took all the political symbols at face value instead of recognizing them for the jokes they were, whereas hardcore was just trying to make what they knew started off as a joke turn serious.

the fall has an album named bend sinister after a nabokov novel, joy division has their name from a book which i dont remember but they have a couple of songs named after books, the atrocity exhibition by ballard, dead souls by gogol

While punk was apolitical as a movement, it had a little of everything including some very political acts, Dead Kennedys for example.

But op wants POST punk.

Joy Divisions were troops of Jewish woman charged with keeping Nazi soldiers free of sexual frustrations in House of Dolls.

Feeling a bit dense there, buddy?

Attached: wolfie.jpg (400x548, 53K)

EPIC dude you got me, with logic reason & facts, good thing too, i can keep watching Ben Shapiro now and not have to throw out my Clash CDs

Gira basically just wrote splatterpunk but it's not the worst in the genre

the science fiction of burroughs and ballard was a big influence on those bands, conrad and sartre too
as others have mentioned some of them used literary allusions on their records so follow those up as well
also read simon reynolds' rip it up and start again, it's a really solid history of that whole scene

Crime and Punishment.

Ian Curtis liked J.G. Ballard

Dead Kennedys were hardcore, not '77. They were the first hardcore punk band, founded in '78 after the first wave was already dead or dying, so were an outlier. You're right that there were genuinely political and they were a big act, but everything I said about hardcore applies to them, and nothing I said about original punk applies to them, because they were hardcore not first wave, even though hardcore didn't really get rolling until 1980. I situated postpunk in the context of punk to explain why saying postpunk is leftist is ridiculous. Postpunk wasn't leftist at all and was more apolitical than punk ever was. Joy Division's name is a good example of using something political for the sake of bleakness rather than shock which was characteristic of the postpunk turn but can't be taken as a left or right political statement any more than Sid Vicious's swastika t-shirt can.

Mark Fisher came out of the post-punk scene

Attached: 765.png (656x900, 318K)

Attached: BasketballDiaries.jpg (257x388, 16K)

Are you really saying that recognizing that '77 punk rock of all fucking things was just a joke and not actually a real political movement makes me alt right?