Who else here didn't fall for the academia meme?

Who else here didn't fall for the academia meme?

Intellectual freedom > all other forms of freedom

Attached: Tom reads hegel.webm (640x480, 932K)

I'm sure this has had positive consequences in your wide knowledge of literature and original thinking.

Actually it has, I don't understand why people think it's necessary to spend 6 figures to have a professor hold your hand. Unironically just read books

>Be me
>Make 6 figures with a lowly accounting degree
>«but muh intellectuelle freedom»

Go to school you retard.

Enjoy your wagecuckery

>Pays 6 figures to study things they could read at home
>Turns out their degree is useless.
>Work lousy wages while simulatenously paying off that sweet debt.
>At least can say I truely understand philosophy.
>Some guy asks him some philosophical question but he utterly fails because he never learnt to think by himself.

>Being not American and having no debt.

You're still a burden on the system and thus a parasite that should not study at all.

based

>wageslaving as an accountant of all things
Shit, I bet I'd kill myself at that point.
Also 9,000.00 isn't what 6 figures means.

You literally paid 50K for an education you could have given yourself in half the time

I didnt, probably would have been better off going but still got a decent job, as much id like to go for literature just cant justify spending the money

I’ve already been graduated for a 6 years now. I now make enough money that even if I had to, I could privately pay it. My billable rate for a year is slightly higher than the cost of 4 years at Harvard (~$270,000).

hallelujah brother

Attached: 1556854974834.jpg (720x720, 89K)

>intellectual freedom
What exactly does that entail? A freedom from criticism?

Attached: 1537142164795.jpg (1080x846, 175K)

No, I make 6 digits in USD. You also realize you need some money to survive right? Unless you’re just a parasite.

Post your book and course outline.

>imagine having to literally make yourself a slave for the privilege of studying

unless you need the degree to work (lawyers, engineers, etc) why the fuck would you go to college
if you go in to get a humanities degree you're a retard unless you want to teach

Humanities academia is not about freedom, on the contrary, it's more like memetic monogamy.

It's is to ascertain meme self-replication on industrial scale. Literature major will teach next generation of literature majors, as the sole purpose of the endeavor is to produce literature majors with no practical use other than teaching future lit majors. Paperclip universe.

Humanities degrees are bullshit... if you don’t go to an ivy-league/Oxbridge school. If you go to one of those schools you can major in whatever and as long as you get decent grades, major companies will be willing to hire you and teach you themselves. Look how many CEOs have random humanities degrees from those types of schools.

Ah, yes, "just read books", just like the rest of Yea Forums, that sure does make you a knowledgeable man. Yet 95% of the board (I'm being generous) doesn't know who were Boileau, Shklovsky, Gordon Craig or Petrarca.

>being American
lmao no, stay butthurt

The syllabi aren't in English. Right now I'm taking courses on the history of aesthetics, Bakhtin and Dostoevsky, film stylistics, history of Russian literature post-Pushkin (taught by a guy who translated medieval Russian texts, among other things), Russian language and Russian phonetics.

everyone who has espoused anti-academia views have been the most utterly retarded people I have met that simultaneously felt so secure in their own brilliance.

I'm actually very intrigued by the proccess of the degeneration of academia. It has become an abomination. A monster that devours glimmering minds and spits out highly-socialized intellectualy-castrated cattle.

Attached: Leo.png (400x580, 162K)

i love autistic scholars
it's just the activists who tend to be the worst

You know that MA and PhD programs in philosophy in the United States have tuition remission and paid stipends to cover living expenses, right? If you plan right you will have no new debt, maybe even have extra saved up by the end. If you got into debt in your undergrad you would have that debt regardless of the major.

anti-intellectualism is the hip new things in america, look at all the teenagers espousing it here to make them feel better about their future of blue collar work and/or welfare leeching

>Petrarca
at least i'm not a pretentious, name-dropping faggot

You're proving his point.

Nice cope

I have just 5 years studying my major (undergrad and graduate) and anyone who claims to have to just "read books" in my subject is a shit tier brainlet pseud compared to me and my peers, with extremely few exceptions (props to those genuinely good autodidacts). Now imagine people with 70 years of knowledge in academia.

I didn't spend a single cent to get this far. I went to a very inexpensive undegrad, so I made money off the scholarships. As for graduate school, it literally pays for itself.

you missed mine. that he chose "Petrarca" instead of "Petrarch," the common english rendering, shows he is more concerned with knowing the names of these people than their art.

academia has problems like any other career but its mostly the media's fault for portraying them as either out-of-touch ivory tower elitists or dumb activists when the majority aren't. it would be dumb to think reading outside a literary program is the same as being surrounded by your peers and having access to expert resources and criticism.

What is your subject?

I'm not English and calling him Petrarch is just counterintuitive, since I almost never see that form in use.
So, the worst thing that you can complain about is that I wrote a name differently from what you're used to? I'll take that as a compliment.

is this not a thread where we complain at each other? how does it feel to spend five years learning how to name-drop?

>how does it feel to spend five years learning how to name-drop?
I wouldn't know. Unless knowing the names and reading the works of central people of western literature counts as name-dropping. But if that is the case, it feels pretty good.

obviously not good enough to convince you of it, otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to flash your limp wrists ITT

May I observe that this very thread was literally started by an anti-academic user flashing his own limp wrists?
Nice digits tho

Attached: 1444243590001.jpg (442x409, 45K)

ivy league schools are unimpressive as fuck and their humanities are just as good as what you get in your best state school. The only thing that matters is if you go to an Ivy League/Highly acclaimed in school for graduate studies, now that shit is impressive. I've traveled to multiple ivy league schools to check them out and I even went to multiple lectures prior to choosing as I had a-lot
of options open, let me tell you, Ivy league professors are usually shit at teaching at 95% of the time the TA or an Assistant Professor will be doin the heavy hauling. The research the ivy league schools do are by far the most impressing thing about them, not even the student populi is in a good shape

Attached: 117F2192-FCAC-4F19-B285-264B803892B8.jpg (4032x3024, 2.94M)

>muh autodidactism
>muh student loans
>muh self-made man
>muh accountancy/pharmaceutical science
Cope. I pity you.

ur a faggot

I agree somewhat. The point I was making though isn't the quality of education for undergrads. But the fact that undergrads at those schools can get a degree in Russian Literature, and then end up being hired as a consultant by a top company or financial firm like Goldman Sachs.

I've worked with people like that, they make 200k+ a year in IB with a history degree, it's nuts. Of course this isn't the case for all ivy-league students, but it's only the case for ivy-league students.

yup, i do agree with you there. You can study english and still fall ass backward into a 300k job

Sounds fucking awful you slav retard

muh gordon wood

Very nice. I have to read Ted he seems based

one must fully penetrate the academy to transcend it.

>everyone...I've met
>anecdotal evidence
and yet, you're an empiricist. seems like you aren't that smart either, user

Do you want empirical evidence that people who don’t go to university are on average more retarded? Because there’s ton of that.

no book, no names, no courses, no nothing. I smell BS.

Now you're strawmanning. The object of the discussion wasn't "[...]people who don't go to university[...]" but rather "[...]everyone who has espoused anti-academia views[...]". Thus, you'll have to provide positivist proof of your claim if you really want to appear big brained.

Butterfly you are only allowed to post if you're going to admit to masturbating to me or not :3

That's all.

I don't know why people think teaching yourself is impossible. There are so many online resources these days virtually anyone can pirate books and look things up that they don't understand, even university courses are being uploaded online. Why do you think someone who has read all of western philosophy and done all the relevant research is less educated than someone who learned it from a professor? The only objection I can think of is that unis grant you access to academic papers, but even these are becoming increasingly easier to obtain for free online. People teach themselves piano and chess to a professional level, why not philosophy and literature?

Because, especially for philosophy, you need discussion with other people knowledgeable in the subject to truly understand it

You can email professors, post on forums, discord servers, blogs, libraries, etc. Even if you don't do any of these, why would someone who talks about Kant with his peers understand Kant more than someone who doesn't? You're all reading the same books.

Would Aristotle be Aristotle if he just simply read all of Plato’s works?

Maybe if you're reading the original German. Otherwise you and the next guy could be reading different translations. Or maybe you are reading Kant straight up but the next guy is reading Kant and a commentary.

Reading and writing themselves are fairly solitary activities. But achieving true comprehension takes more than just those two things.

Take the accountant for example. It just so happens I'm also an accounting major. Working through Intermediate Accounting, you're not just reading the book. The bulk of it is completing a variety of exercises. I don't just read about bond issuances; I work problems that approach the issue at various angles: bonds at premium, bonds at discount, the journal entries at bond issuance and retirement.

Discussion, debate, and collaboration all perform a similar function in the humanities.

Do I have to post my name, credit card number and shoe size too?

>not spending 3 years making bros for life
>not ridding the world of muslims for one of those years
>not getting paid money to get a free degree and bang college thots
>not making good money because degree+ARMAY MAKES GUD LEEDERS gets you put into a management position ASAP
Lmao'ing @ ur life rn

HOW THE FUCK do people with those degrees get to the point that they can earn that much in a job? Why is no one talking about this?

Nepotism

This is one of my favorite Tom and Jerry shorts. My number one would have to be "Solid Serenade".

The same niggas who call you a dumbass for going to university are the ones telling you to discuss kant on discord servers

trying to enroll in a phd program.
always wanted to be a assistant professor in Yea Forums. I hope I don't become boring.