I wanna read this motherfucker's Ethics. However, I see it was written in Latin. So, what should I get...

I wanna read this motherfucker's Ethics. However, I see it was written in Latin. So, what should I get? The English or German translation?

Attached: Spinnah.jpg (220x280, 15K)

Clearly you need the germanicized English version, see who translated it into English first

Fucking Latin, man.

Disce Latinam, cinaede.

Unironically, the spanish translation by Atilano Domínguez or the one by Vidal Peña. Spanish being a Romance language descended from Latin, it is much closer to the original language.

Fucking Spinozist *spits*

I would not even fart in your general direction. Just read Kant instead.

read it in latin you brainlet

God I hate that haircut

There is 1 substance

>Per aeternitatem intelligo ipsam existentiam

Attached: 1503546136_1503523206361.jpg (653x490, 32K)

You really should learn Latin.
The whole point of the Latin revival was to create a universal academic language.

Apart from your translation request, an opinion:

He retconned true (because already known) insights about human nature (a thing which exists, leftists are stupid) through the false and quite badly-argued (natural language) premise of god; but he is culturally obliged to repair to some sort of god to explain the world, which he does partially. Later, early in his Genealogy of Morality, Nietzsche cites Spinoza among several other Westerns as having the tradition of having a low opinion of the emotion of pity-you don't pity someone you love, you pity someone you fundamentally hate/dislike. Pity is of a piece with contempt/indifference (oh, that unpleasant person over there, my paraphrase), this was one of the observations that stuck out at me whilst I read the Ethics over a few months during work breaks.

The built-up pseudo-"logical" system is partially invalid (invalid because it is obliged to go to natural language and use same liberally to self-justify; valid in the sense that ideas relate to one another, but not with the exactness purported) , but it is a cute and inviting structural way to get after things.

How much time does it take to be able to write in latin? Do you have an idea?

it depends on your linguistic background. developing strong reading skills doesn't take that long if you dedicate yourself to it. learning to write it comfortably takes longer.

Not him, but do you think it is worth it to learn it at university? (not America so not really expensive).
Or is there some other way to self-teach yourself?

You would benefit from the structure of a formal education/learning environment but it ultimately isn't necessary anymore. You can teach yourself. Get Lingua Latina (LLPSI) and Wheelock's Latin. Go through each chapter of LLPSI doing your best to grammatically account for every sentence and every word, and then read through the equivalent chapter in Wheelock's to develop natural reading ability together with formal grammatical understanding. Repeat this process until you've finished both books. You won't be reading Virgil right out of the gate but you'll have developed a nice overall grasp of the language on which you can develop to start reading serious literature. Some will tell you to go purely with LLPSI and to not bother with Wheelock's, but I think a rigorous though tedious study of grammar is necessary if you're serious about it. This is where you'll need the discipline if you're self-teaching. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be Wheelock's. Any traditional grammar-based textbook will do. Wheelock's is usually the textbook of choice in US classrooms as far as I know.

Awesome.
Thanks a lot for these!!

Bump

English of course, seeing as many key words Spinoza uses such as substance and affect are taken directly from Latin in English.

>you don't pity someone you love
Sure you do, if they are thrown into external misfortune outside their control.