Writing and Critique General

Post some of your writing or critique someone else's or do both.

Here's some stuff that I found on my old computer:

pastebin.com/JBNumtYA

Attached: seasick.jpg (770x779, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Y9XJjtZi
pastebin.com/jhEbKV8n
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

reads like an older member of a community college writing circle who loves Updike

Well I'm going to a community college but I've never read Updike. Is there a particular book you'd recommend from him?

Been 2 years since I wrote anything. Felt uninspired and unworthy. But I've been recently answering some prompts from plebbit just to exercise that muscle.
pastebin.com/Y9XJjtZi

>Updike
What's Updike?

Why do I care about any of the shit that you're telling me in this story?

Where's the hook?

You describe the situation competently and it WOULD be interesting if there was anything interesting going on but there isn't. It's just some old dude and the town and the narrator ruminates on them. Where's the conflict? Where's the hook?

As far as the prose itself - not bad. It could be pared back just a smidge: at the moment it feels like it's working too hard. It comes off as pretentious instead of effortless - an affectation, not genuine. I think that a tiny bit of dialling back would do it good. But it's readable and even enjoyable as it is, even if I rolled my eyes a few times.

Here's some shit I wrote in a minute

Attached: acclerationism game.jpg (568x680, 339K)

You might want to explain the setting a bit more clearly

Literally YouTube tier writing advice right here. Don’t listen to this faggot

What I posted is the first two pages of a story that I started a long time ago. It's still unfinished though so I couldn't find a great place to cut off an excerpt. There's more background and "hooks" in the rest of the document but still no resolution.

And yes, I tried to way too hard to be eloquent back then, but nowadays I try to write as sparsely as possible, even though I still use words that can come off as pretentious.

So I'm trying to create a new character design template to feel out my characters more
where I pick two or three traits and fill out five questions about each
How: did they develop this trait:
What: do they do that represents this trait:
Where: how did their environment contribute to this:
When:Did they develop the trait:
Why: Did this trait develop:

But I'm having trouble with differentiating how from why what would be the difference between those questions?

Working on the introduction for a new short story. Thoughts? I tried to dial down some of the adjectives that I love to use. It still feels pretty hard to read, not sure.

Attached: 20190505_211904.jpg (627x978, 269K)

Ya, it definitely is a bit flowery. I can't imagine reading a whole book written like that. For example, bespelled with frostbite doesn't make sense to me, and the word 'bitten' works better and is simpler

Thank you! In an ironic twist, the reason I wrote it that way was to avoid having two adjectives side by side(frostbitten necrotic tissue) that would make it sound too flowery.

Also stuff like 'peopled' should just be changed to 'housed'. I definitely have the same tendency of fluffing up my writing, but I'm trying to simplify it more. I think I've just read too many classic novels and my writing has naturally become flowery, whereas most modern novels are much more direct.

Actually make it 'populated'. I misread

I don't think I can say 'cottages housed the streets' though. That's like 'houses housed the clump of streets'. Maybe you mean 'populated', but it felt a tad too long.

Oh

Here's a short free verse poem I wrote in the last hour.
pastebin.com/jhEbKV8n
For some reason pastebin doesn't show the full text, but this is how I intended it to end. Your thoughts?

Attached: sink.png (588x433, 14K)

based

>still working on my book
>it's taking me forever because of uni
>posted in this thread a few weeks ago
>guy really liked it
>encouraged me to post more
>didn't have more to show because writing was super slow
>inspired me to keep working on it
Thanks, guy. These threads are usually just people posting their own work and no critique, I was happy to have someone appreciate my work. It inspired me to keep writing. I'm up to around 2000 words, which isn't a lot, but the story isn't going to be that long, I think it's going to be around 20-25k when finished.

Attached: 1533073673752.jpg (475x417, 47K)

Invisible singing along,
Would you like for me to join you?
Flow my rhythms with yours,
Feed a light drumming?

I have nothing to say
Nothing at all

You used too many colors and it got all muddy, my man. More than a matter of clawing through there's just a lack of that negative space i.e. that pause between the lines i.e simplicity.
Good flavor but it's a bit too rich.

A walk home defined in change through the decomposing rabbit in the grass

Welcoming evening sun
Scrambled by the mirror's edge
And cradled by me
Remember me?
This hollow man