Is it grey or gray

I am kept up at nights pondering this. It seems like everybody has his own personal favorite.

Attached: 1545624299075.jpg (2400x1800, 1.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demarai_Gray
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Grey. Because if you have Gray and remove the R it says Gay and that's Gay.

I will email Websters and let them know.

fpbp

English orthography doesn't map to English phonetics. Correct spelling isn't determined by pronunciation any more than correct pronunciation is determined by spelling.

Grey vs. Gray is a largely regional spelling variation between the United States and Britain, but either are acceptable in both countries.

Master's degree in English?

No, just the internet and a little autism.

>English orthography doesn't map to English phonetics.
That's English main flaw. Nothing makes sense phonetically speaking. Wednesday? Wensday. Colonel? Cornel. Marijuana? Mariguana.

There is literally a correct way to spell it.

Gray is always the way to spell it. I would get laughed out of my Yale English classes if I spelled it Grey, but maybe I’m just too well acquainted with elite intellectual circles

according to every legitimate source that google returns, either is acceptable. so maybe you are sneaking into yale classes in between huffing paint.

t. Gay

Grey may be an accepted alternative in Muttland but you’ll never see Gray used in Britain

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demarai_Gray

Gray for casual everyday use, grey for more formal occasions.

That's Gay.

Well it would be impossible for English spelling to match phonetics perfectly and still have anything resembling a standardized orthography. The most important point is that English is made up of various dialects that all have different phonology. If you're a Canadian from Vancouver writing English phonetically it looks very different from if you're an American from Florida writing English. How would English look written in Jamaican phonetics? Not every individual pronounces everything correctly according to their dialect any more than everyone spells everything correctly according to standardized English spelling. A corollary is that English spelling, once you've learned enough of the language, can give you hints as to the origins of a word, which can help you guess its meaning as well as indeed its pronunciation. For example, once you learn how to recognize how French, Greek, Latin or German derived words are typically spelled in English, you can take a guess at how a word is pronounced based on that spelling. A lot of other historical nuance would be lost besides that. Non-phonetic spellings also can help you distinguish between verbal homonyms, and can be a source of wordplay or deeper meaning in creative writing.

I have no idea what kind of American accent this is, but English written phonetically looks like this:

ðə ˈnoɹθ ˌwJnd ən (ð)ə ˈsʌn wɚ dJsˈpjutJŋ ˈwJtʃ wəz ðə ˈstɹɑŋɡɚ, wɛn ə ˈtɹævəlɚ ˌkem əˈlɑŋ ˈɹæpt Jn ə ˈwoɹm ˈklok.
ðe əˈɡɹid ðət ðə ˈwʌn hu ˈfɚst səkˈsidəd Jn ˈmekJŋ ðə ˈtɹævəlɚ ˈtek Jz ˈklok ˌɑf ʃʊd bi kənˈsJdɚd ˈstɹɑŋɡɚ ðən ðJ ˈəðɚ.
ðɛn ðə ˈnoɹθ ˌwJnd ˈblu əz ˈhɑɹd əz i ˈkʊd, bət ðə ˈmoɹ hi ˈblu ðə ˈmoɹ ˈklosli dJd ðə ˈtɹævlɚ ˈfold hJz ˈklok əˈɹaʊnd Jm;
ˌæn ət ˈlæst ðə ˈnoɹθ ˌwJnd ˌɡev ˈʌp ði əˈtɛmpt. ˈðɛn ðə ˈsʌn ˈʃaJnd ˌaʊt ˈwoɹmli ənd Jˈmidiətli ðə ˈtɹævlɚ ˈtʊk ˌɑf Jz ˈklok.
ən ˈso ðə ˈnoɹθ ˌwJnd wəz əˈblaJʒ tJ kənˈfɛs ðət ðə ˈsʌn wəz ðə ˈstɹɑŋɡɚ əv ðə ˈtu.

The North Wind and the Sun were disputing which was the stronger, when a traveler came along wrapped in a warm cloak.
They agreed that the one who first succeeded in making the traveler take his cloak off should be considered stronger than the other.
Then the North Wind blew as hard as he could, but the more he blew the more closely did the traveler fold his cloak around him;
and at last the North Wind gave up the attempt. Then the Sun shined out warmly, and immediately the traveler took off his cloak.
And so the North Wind was obliged to confess that the Sun was the stronger of the two.

I used to be mad about this too until I learned Korean and its unending homonyms. English spelling seems arbitrary and sometimes is, but it also preserves etymological information across shifts in pronunciation and cuts down on confusing homonyms.

I mean, be glad that right, rite, write, wright are all orthographically distinct.

retard

That's just English using the International phonetic alphabet. Spanish and Italian both are 80+% phonetic. English could've been better but Dr Johnson ruined it as well as the fact that it doesn't have a regulating institution like French or Spanish have. Literally any nigger could add words to the language and spell them whatever way it wants.

The best way to spell English entirely phonetically would be using the IPA characters, in my opinion. There are 40+ phonemes in English, the exact number depending on the dialect, and you'd need different characters to account for all the phonemes in all the dialects to be perfectly phonetic. So you'd need a script with 40+ characters. IPA already has characters to cover all of them and is already used internationally, often to teach English. If everyone learned and used the English set in IPA, that would also have huge advantages for native English speakers learning other languages. I think if you're going to go for an impossible spelling reform you should aim for 100% while still being somewhat practical. Of course the actual characters in IPA aren't the best for actually writing English (that would be one of the shorthand systems), but they're mostly based on Latin script already so they're somewhat familiar, and English is turning into a world language and its orthography could use the international and inter-lingual compatibility that IPA offers.

re write that in english por favor

A language is like a piece of paper. Over here you have the sounds. Over here you have the letters. What's the shortest way to get from one to the other? To go across the paper? No. *folds paper in half and punches a pencil through* This is what we call a phonetic writing system. Phonetic as in phone, because it's off the hook.

It’s gray for the color, but I wrote grey anyway because alliums and I know nobody will call me on it

i have no idea what you are talking about but i like how you styalized the ending of your confusing text with some humor

I have the authoritative answer.
"Gray" because not only does it feel better, it comes from the word "graeg" ("ae" as in cat), not the word "Greg". Spelling it "grey" is essentially spelling reform.

If you pick "grey" because it seems phonetically logical, you're discarding a lot of connotation and if you don't care or can't tell the difference you're probably a fucking bad poet too.

gray is phonetically logical too. herein lies the dilemma.

Mine is
Gray reminds Gay
Like you
Opinion discarded

I say grey

i like grey better myself. seems reasonable.

Grey poupon
Gray poop on
If Gary Larson says it's grey, well then it must be grey.

Attached: 304cbdb50e498066e9e173f5ca93c901.jpg (500x637, 79K)

this
I've know there have been two accepted spellings for at least 15 years, and I've paid attention to this when I've read it printed
every time I've seen it in a novel, it's always 'gray'
when people want to sound cool or edgy, they write it as 'grey', especially people on the internet
just my personal anecdotal experience. but if you want to write it professionally, write it as 'gray'

the real question is how do you pronounce amateur without getting strange looks from at least one person in the room

Isn't one the burger spelling and the other bong spelling?

Damn that's a nice painting

Every language has dialects. Ones with phonetic spelling like Dutch are phonetic for a 'standard' dialect. The issue with English is that there isn't an obvious standard dialect. Something like the trans-atlantic accent of the early 20th century might have fit the bill, but it's totally gone now.

AESTHETICALLY, I PREFER «GREY»; ETYMOLOGICALLY, «GREY» IS CORRECT.

I prefer grey cause that is what the aliens are called.

It's gay

Yeah, one of the reasons why spelling in English is so wonky is because in old England there were three major universities in three different parts of the south of England that had three different dialects, so different words got semi-standardized to three (and more) different dialects while they were all in flux over time. I think an orthography that could capture all the different dialects properly would be a godsend for writing fiction. You have to resort to some pretty unnatural contrivances to create the impression of regional speech while maintaining standard spelling, but trying to alter the orthography to non-standard forms (like dropping the g from -ing) comes off as cringey. It would be nice if everything was phonetic and it was okay to write dialects differently.

græy