Death of subcultures and authenticity

Been reading articles about the death of (mostly nerd/geek) subcultures and wondering what good books there are on the life and death of subcultures, perhaps as a whole:

further.co.uk/blog/death-subculture-part-1-changing-role-subculture-21st-century-britain/
meaningness.com/geeks-mops-sociopaths
status451.com/2016/09/15/social-gentrification/
paulmullins.wordpress.com/2012/12/08/the-death-of-authenticity-and-the-outsider-consumption-and-hipsters/

(The articles on the geek subcultures dying have a slight bitterness to them that I can relate to, but I've never been part of the geek/culture subculture and only experienced it through the internet since I was practically the only geek at my school back in the 90s/00s. I only went to a con a few years ago, and it was kind of obvious that I was waaaaay too late OR maybe the image of geekdom I had in my head wasn't actually real or something.)

Attached: 1546330992835.jpg (720x892, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/k740dGSEU2I
theanarchistlibrary.org/library/penny-rimbaud-the-last-of-the-hippies-an-hysterical-romance
youtu.be/346c4Dt1gmg
youtu.be/5YT_EKtR_IQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
youtu.be/hSSqXCu4ZqA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Honestly the death of subcultures almost seems like a second wind for authenticity

They have a tendency to suck the freedom out of people and make them think in only familiar terms

>like a second wind for authenticity
How so?

Subcultures (in my experience at least) are even more restrictive than main cultures, if only because they have fewer elements of life to deal with. Outside of a subculture, those restrictions don't exist, and so people who only partially fit in don't have to LARP any more.

Doesn't this, in one way or another, happen to every subculture? It's pretty much in the name: SUBculture. At the core of every subculture's identity is it's differences from the mainstream. Most people are in the mainstream, therefore only a minority belong to a subculture. If too many people adopt a subculture and it gets too popular, then it becomes "culture" and gets adopted by the mainstream. It's either this or the minority losing interest that kills subcultures.

Attached: a motherfucking jojo reference.jpg (1280x720, 97K)

>annihilate the landscape bro! exist in a featureless sea!
nothx

You're making it sound like subcultures form out of elitism. I don't think that's true for things like geekdom. I mean, it has (had?) elitism but it came from people's mutual interests in comics, vidya and such.

Where do the losers go now that their subculture is not theirs anymore?

>being a product of your environment
lmfoa

Counter-conformists are more defined by norms than regular people

I'm pretty sure some subcultures lasted a pretty long time, at least until before social media and the internet.

>The greatest of all creative artwork was produced from minds that received frequent solitude.

I don't think many of them enjoyed their solitude.

I don't think all subcultures are counter-conformist though. And if all subcultures die out, I don't really see how a second wind of authenticity will happen, if it just gets replaced by a monoculture that everyone follows. Everyone looks the same these days.

The point the other user was making (I think) is that subcultures start out as authentic, but eventually become codified and commodified and so over time tend to lose that authenticity.

Therefore the death of a subculture, or group of subcultures, allows newer and still-authentic subcultures to emerge or grow.

Haven't you ever heard of masturbatory conversations between geeks over who knows more pertaining scifi/fantasy schlock or whether Star Wars or Star Trek is the better franchise? The subculture is rife with elitism.

is he /ourguy/?

Attached: simon pegg nerd and geek culture.png (889x703, 279K)

Good thread. Does anybody have any good articles about the sociological effects of the internet on fandoms or meta-analysis type stuff? The 5 geek social fallacies is kind of like what I want, but I'm talking like case studies on Chris Chan or Final Fantasy House type people who obsess over media, especially "nerdy" media

I think it started with The Big Bang Theory when geeks got pissed that geek culture became accessible to normies. The irony is geeks don't realize they are also consumers and the subculture is pure consumerism that reinforces the Culture Industry.

>Most kids seem less inclined to rebel against their parents because their parents are much more easy going.
>Whole families attend punk festivals, with parents helping their children to wear just the right look. And there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s completely positive – but youth culture it most certainly ain’t – it’s more like civil war re-enactment.

Can relate to this a lot. The parents of most young british people were punk rockers and mods. I look at my grandpa's generation and it feels like we're losing a way of looking at the world that'll be lost forever. There' definitely a paradigm shift for people who grew up after 1960. My intuitive feeling is that a bond going back several hundred years is broken and nobody really knows where we're going now.

>Therefore the death of a subculture, or group of subcultures, allows newer and still-authentic subcultures to emerge or grow.

Aren't we witnessing the death of all subcultures now? Kinda hard to have authenticity these days when everything can be commodified and sold back to you in a very short amount of time.

Authenticity is a scam. Never fall into it.

Yea Forums

wat

I think that they'll just continue to subdivide and subdivide into niche cultures. With the vast amount of channels and networks available now, there's just going to be mainstream cultures (which will grow larger and more homogenous) and niche cultures, rather than the current mainstream vs subcultures with niche cultures largely being ignored.

There is no real authenticity, only things that have been marketed into seeming like it

>there's just going to be mainstream cultures (which will grow larger and more homogenous)
A bland-ass monculture that absorbs subcultures' most profitable parts completely detached from their origins? FUck.

How can there be no such thing as authenticity?

Yeah, that.

this already happens with our epic Yea Forums memes

Attached: MTrkd5q.png (192x185, 44K)

Not to mention, the skinny or fat nerds is pretty cringe to watch because any person with self respect would make an effort for physical exercise to look attractive. It's like the physically unattractive nerd gave up on the opposite sex and just dive into "nerdom" as an excuse to be a conventional failure.

** this applies to hardcore (insert fan here)

K-POP fans are cringe. Not people who casually listen but “hardcore fans” that follow K-POP news, call themselves “stans” and argue on the internet who is the best group and “she is my bias”.

Since they lead boring and insignificant lives, they use K-POP as an outlet to feel important: “fan wars”, YouTube comment posting, excessive obsession with their idols.

Your hardcore K-POP fan is like a Japanese dweeb: poor hygiene, physically unattractive, mild mental illness (in fact, many K-POP fans were former Japanese dweebs)

>I look at my grandpa's generation and it feels like we're losing a way of looking at the world that'll be lost forever.

Protip: that happens with every generation.

And then they will turn to spirituality and mysticism since those are the only domains left where there is any hope of having an authentic self, but unfortunately, they have already been commodified to an extent, thanks to New Age. Can you imagine the horror of Guenon and Evola being commodified?

Nah I don't think so dude. The decline of religion for example is a completely new phenomenon.

>The disconnect is that there’s a class conflict between the people already there and the people coming in. The people coming in are mostly middle- and upper-middle class folks with safe, stable lives, money enough not tobe living precariously, etc. (Analogy: the people participating in nerd culture, now that it’s mainstream, always had other communities and social outlets that worked for them.) The people who are already there, on the other hand, have poor, hard lives because life screwed them over (analogy: the existing “real” nerds, for the most part, have suffered serious physical and social bullying that has severely impacted their life for the worse). More importantly, the people who are already there have nowhere else to go; they can’t afford the rising rental prices around here (analogy: the “real” nerds, being social outcasts, don’t have any other social communities they’re welcome in).

I genuinely wonder what's going to happen to the "real" nerds: what kind of new subculture is going to appear or are those type of nerds just going to be bred out of existence?

>Can you imagine the horror of Guenon and Evola being commodified?
Oh God, that would be like every pizza-faced nerd tuurning into Guenonfag. I can imagine conversations going like this:
>"Yeah, I'm totally gonna check out of modern society and join a monastery, as soon as I get my student loans paid off," as he proceeds to buy his 10th Guenon book through Amazon.

whenever people complain about stuff like that it's really clearly just bitter dudes complaining that girls like nerd stuff now but still won't fuck them.

Why the fuck do people ruin themselves with tattoos?

Man, the cool kids are never content with what they have, they have to take what little you have.

Thanks for the links. I've been interested in fan communities, their governance and stratification.

Going back to old nerd culture would be ideal for them since they can sympathize with it, but you aeren't allowed to enjoy Revenge of the Nerds anymore because of muh rape.

the death of God has been in progress for hundreds of years, we're at critical mass right now

Don't really know of any academic books on this, but spent much of my life as a punk and anarchist, so I may be able to answer some questions.
Much of it comes down to co-option. But there are also more complex issues relating to the natural schisms within groups, the tendency of the left/right divide which supports the center in politics but then opposes it in any subculture/counterculture, and then the question of authenticity itself - in which one must ask whether or not these groups have any real separate identity at all, or if they simply come to view themselves in the mirror, as the black pool of liberalism's laws of liberalism and disparate organisation.
You can also see in punk a form of survival that takes on the laws of thermodynamics: the authenticity is still there yet it remains both a force of increasing power and isolation. There is an irony here in that this follows the same laws of production, and something of a passive seizing of the means of production by an ever smaller class of people. A real working class remains, but as if in a foreign land, and economically as a professionalised and bourgeois element (i.e. the contradictory nature of the Yellow Vests).
youtu.be/k740dGSEU2I

Attached: whos the punk.jpg (1000x736, 445K)

Religion isn't declining, only taking new forms. As it has for millenia.

Remember Nietzsche's "God is dead" echoes the ancient "The Great Pan is dead". It's not the first time a major religion or overaeching system of values has been displaced by another.

Remember there used to be entire superpowers organized around a militant atheist ideology. They rose during your grandfather's youth actually. And where are they now ? For the most part heralding a revival of religiosity and tradition. We're not even in the most materialistic decade of the past half century, if anything religious militantism has been on the rise for the past twenty years.

If something major has been lost regarding religion is certainly goes back way past the lifetime of anyone you could meet. The problem with using living grandparents' experience for a sense of change is that their experiences only go back a century at the very most.

Inherent Vice has themes of the fading of the hippy community in it, although it's more about how it's unsustainable and not necessarily about how it becomes commodified.

Attached: 711C5236-E2C1-431F-8085-556D2F33857F.jpg (2404x1260, 831K)

Rest in peace MLP threads on Yea Forums in 2013

>death of (mostly nerd/geek) subcultures
Umm, those did not die, they won the war and become mainstream. This is just how it works, you have dozens if not hundreds of subcultures, one gets big enough to go mainstream and the rest just fad out as the participants grow up, new subcultures are endlessly being born. If a subculture does not die it just gets commoditfied like the 60s.

>constantly makes movies about adult men acting like immature teens
>"adult men acting like immature teens is a bad thing!"

what did he mean by this?

theanarchistlibrary.org/library/penny-rimbaud-the-last-of-the-hippies-an-hysterical-romance
I was a kid when I read this the first time (no, I',m not old enough to have experienced Crass), so I don't know how it holds up as 'real literature', nonetheless, Stonehenge provides a powerful example. There is a deep authenticity where art forms within nature, and the closing of a space like Stonehenge reveals the essence of our relation with the world: it is expected that we stand outside the reality of events and observe only the minor elements of a lifeworld, as if stripping it away of all its vital content and reforming it within the coherence of our own laws. In other words, it must appear as its own opposition to nature, taking on the qualities of self-observation, abstraction, and empiricism. This separation of the object from itself into mechanical symbols destroys its authenticity, ensures that its lifeworld is divided against itself and can only form in terms of basic principles and laws - the aesthetics of the bureaucracy do not translate well to rites, ceremony, and simple pleasures of a stroll along the forest edge.
In simple terms, the object views itself as its own anthropologist, attempting to observe of itself the laws which have been lost, or are otherwise unknown to it. Even in nature we are expected to abide by the laws of the corridor and arterial streets, we return to nature without ever being able to connect; hence the tendency to retreat ever further, attempt to defeat all laws of previous explorers, and create endless lists of survival necessities without ever being in a situation where they are necessary.The hiking path appears ever more as a tunnel as we stand aside from the landscape and view it through a lens - where elsewhere nature is destroyed through this very mechanised assembly pulled from its shores. Between China Syndrome and the simple hobbits who only deepen nature along with the rise of their civilisation, the final recesses of the wild are turned into museums, strip mines of empiricism, cults of death where we attempt to revivify the experience of living forms.
Imagine, just 20 years after festivals beneath ancient stones and all the spirits and vitality which lived within that space, Stonehenge was cordoned off by yellow construction-site tape and everyone wanders around in lines, 40 metres in the distance, to each numbered section to listen to prerecorded analysis of rote-assembled meaning. The aesthetics of the sinkhole prescribed as remedy to the laws of beauty.
youtu.be/346c4Dt1gmg

the butthurt in that pic is palpable

In other words, how can art appear within an apocalyptic world after we have abandoned the laws of eschatology? The aesthetics are unappealing to most people, and rightfully appear as noise. Even then, the darkest art falls short of its formal object - eschatological realism fails against the landscape of the real world, and the gothic reappears as an impoverished decadence. Escapism arises out of necessity.
youtu.be/5YT_EKtR_IQ

Attached: 1526157791109.jpg (720x540, 56K)

Did nerd/geek culture survive because it was the most easily exploited by capitalism? OP pic related.

I don't know, social media and smartphones did much more damage.

You have to go back.

Where?

i think so, i mean i don´t buy the whole star wars thing is for nerds since it was the highest grossing movie of its time, a lot of normalfags watched that movie over and over too

corporate culture is the one who labels these franchises as nerd or geeky to sold you an image of being "the alternative way" to enjoy popular entertainment in contrast to more action oriented movies like Fast and the Furious and Jurassic Park that doesn´t have much of a fantastical element

A little of bit of Nietzschean slave morality here but the overall idea is correct. A perfect example would be 60s psychedelic music or 70s punk rock

Better example is Tolkien. Before the movie, pure D&D tier geek culture. After the movies, it became mainstream culture.

Commercial coopting happens all the time. The flow from the fringes into center is natural flow of civilization. If you wish to be a geek, stay on the fringe, don't stick to fixed memes as the vortex carry you to center eventually. Easy as that.

They just seem the most brand/franchise conscious movement ever, and it goes from music to movies to fashion and beyond and then the cross over between them all, most movements, subculture or mainstream the consumer aspect is just one thing at best, they buy their pair of Air Jordon's every year or the like.

Modern subcultures in the United States are a disgusting parody of actual hobbies and are almost always a disguised thinly disguised cult about purchasing a commodity

That is not a subculture, that IS geek/nerd culture in the US.

Is there anything after the monoculture or is that the final and permanent stage?

(Man, I had to grow up in an area with no geek elements. Fuck me, life had to be a bitch.)

Attached: 1538359643665.jpg (1600x2000, 329K)

Imagine basing your identity around consuming a piece of media.

Nothing ever changes except technology, there is never cause for alarm because everything is always the same.

Attached: 1531893058457.png (1241x692, 1.27M)

In a way no culture has survived, it's all commodified now. That's not to say the aesthetics are not there, nor is it saying that everything nerdy/geek sucks compared to some notion of "golden age" of it. It's only that these movements always appear as, well, movements, in the sense of taking art/society/culture somewhere else than it is at the time. But today no one really has to change and society does not have to change in order to experience anything that would otherwise be a movement towards change, be it nostalgia, futuristic nostalgia (you might want to look up hauntology), or simply a reaction to a perceived (so doesn't have to be an actual) status quo. For example, anime focusing on the dangers of tech as a reaction to WWII's ending, Cyberpunk in the 80's as an equally jaded reaction to the progression of humanity, and of course the Renaissance and Romantic literary periods that were also "seeded" by reactions to previously established lines of thinking and being.

The difference perceived by most authors linked by OP, of contrasting authenticity to outsider presence, ingenuity to commodification, etc etc. today is represented by the ironic distance we maintain in between our fragile notion of self and everything else. However you define yourself today (geek, nerd, chad, rocker, emo, goth, otaku and just about everything else) is perceived as much more fragile because everyone's way of living is now effectively homogenized. In other words, there are no longer places, ways of acting, and specially technical tools that differ one tribe from the other, effectively blurring and finally crushing the very notion of a subculture/tribe and establishing all of the previously existing ones (and future ones) as simple pocket-aesthetics that can be harmlessly adopted by consumers. You can *look* weaboo but *being* weaboo will no longer really matter in comparison to being anything else, no one will care and you won't feel different from the other people using their smartphones and watching youtube in much the same way you are.

Attached: adf.jpg (502x417, 20K)

What else are they supposed to base their identity on? Their inherent worth as a human being? HA

I remember asking some girl what the hell being a scene means. She said it's just people who wear skinny jeans and whatever I don't remember

There is plenty of room to argue that to many people there is nothing left to base one's identity on, regardless of how you personally feel about yourself.

If this wasn't sarcastic, everyone in the tree which ends in this post should read some Ellul

I said the opposite. Things are changed irremediably every generation. It is only the modern man's conceit that makes him believe he is unique in departing from the past.
Also i was answering that grandpa guy. Things have changed a lot in 400 years, but oldfags who pretend they have seen a fundamentally different society in their lifetime are seriously underestimating how deep in cobtntemporary shit they were born.

This: .
Their dogmatism is even more niche and exclusive than mass ideologies. They are no different than the in-groups of adolescence---except that the followers of nerd subcultures are often past the typical age of adolescence. I think they are either trying to prolong their adolescence or they are making up for their inability gain acceptance into a group during their adolescent years. If anything, the death of subcultures and the rise of loneliness is prompting people who would normally join subcultures to become more authentic and individualistic.

We only experience ourselves.

>>constantly makes movies about adult men acting like immature teens
>>"adult men acting like immature teens is a bad thing!"
>what did he mean by this?
It's in the article. "Taking it seriously"

this

>Imagine basing your identity around consuming a piece of media.
I tried to explain this to my roomate who always watches whatever they're talking about on barstool, he called me a "pessimist"

Really? Because i sure experienced your mum's stinky cunt.

The only way to keep a subculture "authentic" is for it to be unprofitable. Once the mainstream can figure out a way to turn a profit on it, it gets absorbed.

Well, most people base their identity around mainstream pop culture, thats what makes it mainstream. No wonder he called you out as a pseud ("pessimist" being the closest mainstream synonym?).

Stammering century

Unprofitable, or illegal.

The subcultures that don't become mainstream are the subcultures that are about creating things.

Illegal only goes so far. Most of the stuff rappers wrote about in the 80's/90's was illegal, but record companies still figured out a way to profit off it. They deliberately pushed an image of hardened criminals and made millions if not billions. A lot of the early big names were actual gangsters.

That girl is perfect desu

Oh boy. You are a product of your biology, psychology and environment. Nothing you’ve ever done or thought is authentic. Consider language, your means to communicate and abstract, it’s form, all of it created by others. Every concept you have, as soon as you put into words, becomes someone else’s.

Punk has DIY as one of it's core tenants and it got absorbed by the mainstream and is now more or less dead.

good subcultures are always autistic

Most things which can be created can be also mass produced.

Yes, there is constant push to take legally grey areas into mainstream if it has good mass consumer potential. The story with gangsta rap is slightly unusual - gangsta culture was already mainstream in the hood, the nigger equivalent of a rock star. What hip hop did was commercially coopting pre-existing ethnic mass culture, ie cultural appropriation. If niggers were predisposed to cuddling with bunnies, hip hop would be about that instead.

lol get a load of this weeb girl

0/10 disgusting would not date

The point is that there hasn't been a global dominating culture for quite some time. Sub/counter-cultures are now just a members of intersecting sets that group people.

As for authenticity… I'm pretty sure that if you can write an article, you're not the top nerd who can judge it all. The wizards are mostly the unearthly ones.

>The point is that there hasn't been a global
What defines mainstream is the space it is in (Church, Newspaper, Church, Internet, Facebook..), not what is in the space. It is true that with each evolution of the mainstream medium, the culture within is ever more mercurous, so one has to constantly shift to fringe with increasing agility.

Contrarianism (counter-culture) is the easiest form of culture - just do the opposite of what mainstream does, without thinking too much about it.

People have been reading different books, watching different programs on TV, visiting different websites, and discussing different topics on them. They don't have to share a common ground any more. If you have a goth neon-colored wedding, it's not a diversion, as you are not on track to have a traditional one anyway.

What you call a subculture is nothing but a niche market, there is nothing authentic about nerd culture. It was always defined by a bunch of people consuming some piece of media. The only authentic type of culture is that which can't be commodified, sold and technically reproduced anywhere but where they're actually made. The minute something can be put to print or recorded, it's over. The XIX century announced the death of culture and the XX century committed the deed. We are now living not in the age of the death of god, but of the death of culture.

I agree to this statement.

Even though originally every subculture tends to born out of its lack of opportunity to find voice within the main stream of culture, one formed, acts as a minority group and thus has a fanatical/conservative approach to anything within the group.

Pardon the anaolgy but subcultures are naught but the jews of the mainculture once they are established as 'subcultures'.

Attached: 1552213348964.jpg (595x960, 105K)

If it can't be made profitable, it will be made illegal, and anyone who delves in it will be branded as a criminal, insane, or a pariah. Managerial neoliberal society demands you to be a good consumer.

I doubt the average person in the west has read Hume or knows anything about Locke's concept of tabula rasa

>Umm,
stopped reading there.

Because it made easier to people outside the hobby to know about it.

Try asking a random Vietnamese person on the street about Buddhist philosophy.

Yea Forums IS the detached bland monocultural consumer blob of imageboards. It destroys smaller boards unless they fo actively against it.

I think the answers you're going to get here will be somewhat skewed, as many (possibly most) people here are somewhat antisocial, which would suggest they are at best apathetic to the death of these groups

what do you mean? He makes movies for immature teens, I watched them at 15 and 16 with my friends. They were funny at that age. It's not like he makes them for adult people.

To get into subcultural theory, it would be wise to look into the Chicago school and their research circa the 1920s about deviant behaviour and how that led to ‘subculture’ being a tangible thing and not just symptoms of criminality etc, notably from this tradition came Becker who wrote a book called Outsiders, which was sort of biased due to him smoking weed with the stoners while researching, but built upon the labelling theory that it’s the in groups that define the out groups etc.
Then if you want to look into the later more modern commercialised look of subcultures with strain theory and so on, check out the Birmingham school CCCs and the work of Hebdige who wrote about punk and prior subcultures extensively, largely from Marxist perspectives.

What I have found is that not many contemporary subcultures can be understood without the background or how we came to view subcultures in the first place and most modern research into post internet groups is hilariously bad and just applies the aforementioned stuff into “hacker named Yea Forums” style bad research.

Two main ideas have to be sperted here.
Subcultures in general and the misuse of terms.
A modern doctorwho fan is not a nerd, that is a misuse of terms, not a death of the nerd subculture (what’s in a name)

What's your excuse?

Subcultures are rife with dunning-kruger elitists and dysfunctional hierarchies and should be condemned for this but this is mostly in the later stages, after the initial burst of energy has dissipated and the creative period gives way to one marked by curation. The tragedy is really about the death of scenes and more broadly unmediated socialisation in general. Sub-cultures were useful incubators for moments of, all too brief, organic culture creation. New culture requires a gentle gestation period where it can test itself and form, but this no longer exists as most culture is now generated online using platforms that exist mostly for corporations to harvest data. You never get that moment when it is just a couple of people in the early days tying to hammer out something new, even the most nebulous trends are anticipated and pre-packaged based on crunching out data from social media. It is why you have these almost schizophrenic aesthetics with no ethos underlying them. And don't get me wrong, the plug-and-play identities offered by sub-cultures are shallow and meaningless, but the alternative is obviously not a new era of authenticity but complete interchangeability of all culture below only the most superficial layer of aesthetic division.

Attached: 1554269421657.jpg (900x707, 122K)

jesus christ I hate capitalism

subcultures exist to fit you into niche consumer profiles

now they're no longer sustainable due to everyone being in the alternative consumer market.
even comparatively speaking, the people who try to be conservatives.

>The virgin kant
> the CHAD water girl

>now

WEW you still living in the 60’s there mate?
>inb4 20’s

>If anything, the death of subcultures and the rise of loneliness is prompting people who would normally join subcultures to become more authentic and individualistic.

Not any happier though.

Look It's very easy.
As soon as You accept women in your subculture It's fucked.
Here You go.

Happiness is overrated

Jesus. Fuckin' raging, epithet music comin' out of every car, every store, every person's head. They don't have noisy radios on, they got earphones; like, "motherfuckin', cocksuckin', son of a bitch. Lot of aggression. Lot of anger, lot of rage. Everybody walks around, they're walkin' advertisements. They've got advertisements on their clothes, you know? Walking around with "Adidas" written across their chests, '49'ers on their hats. Jesus. It's pathetic. It's pitiful. The whole cultures' one unified field of bought-sold-market researched everything, you know. It used to be that people fermented their own culture, you know? It took hundreds of years, and it evolved over time. And that's gone in America. People now don't even have any concept that there ever was a culture outside of this thing that's created to make money. Whatever's the biggest, latest thing, they're into it. You just get disgusted after a while with humanity for not having more, kind of like, intellectual curiosity about what's behind all this jive bullshit.

Go away gaylord.

>You just get disgusted after a while with humanity for not having more, kind of like, intellectual curiosity about what's behind all this jive bullshit.

You can't win against The Almighty Dollar.

sweaty, I...

Attached: D2BB3D7E-CB88-4978-8140-F3D72CCB51F7.png (1700x1273, 257K)

if everything has been absorbed by the monoculuture, this just sets up the satge for the ultimate counterculture, an assamblage of all the loosers of history, of everything that refuses to be recuperated by the machine. its no longer a question of rebelling against parents, who are powerless anyways, but of rebelling against the liberal corporate authority which has replaced them. This means going against liberalism by all means neccesary, Situationism, Punk Rock, the alt right, islamism, drug culture, anarchism, all have valuable lessons to teach us.

>this just sets up the stage for the ultimate counterculture
Eh, I don't think anything is going to appear on the horizon anytime soon. Anything can be commodified and sold back to you, I mean, what was that bit? "-dissatisfaction itself becomes a commodity as soon as it can be processed"?

(We're like 5 minutes away from the furries becoming mainstream.)

Attached: 35246541321352465.webm (500x626, 1.69M)

We're 5 minutes away from the pedophiles going mainstream.

If their was no such thing as authenticity, there would be no evolution of thought, culture, and so on. But this evolution clearly exists.

Somehow I doubt that.

Attached: Navy-Furry.jpg (1262x748, 421K)

>or they are making up for their inability gain acceptance into a group during their adolescent years.
>No identity, no belonging, no happiness

Explain to me what the point of living is again?

I'm sure both sides have the same general lack of knowledge, but it still made me laugh.

are you claiming that all human action is inauthentic or that all action is inauthentic/there is no authenticity period?

a c c e l e r a t e

Attached: AccAccAcc.png (683x476, 420K)

>a c c e l e r a t e
To what?

terrorism can't be commodified. its the only thing capable of overloading the feedback loop. a nihilistic counter gift of death.

>terrorism can't be commodified
If you think the war economy isn't a major aspect of western sustainability buddy I have some bad news for you

“Counterculture” is dead and has been and never will be or even was, not even in the 60s. Mass group movements are contradictory, for all will gather without the slightest thought to whether or not they themselves are part of the problem. Read some Pynchon, man.

National Socialism is the true counterculture

Based

Subculture and the evolution of them, Fandoms, are Cliques like any other, just a social cult.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique

You'll find it redpillish because you may recognize that we stopped having a culture and counterculture made up of subcultures, and started having militant clique society with no self-awareness

instead of looking for a culture, create something which would enrich a culture.

>Better example is Tolkien. Before the movie, pure D&D tier geek culture. After the movies, it became mainstream culture.

Those nerds didn't exactly have a claim on it though. I doubt Tolkien had a bunch of sweaty nerd freaks in mind as the target audience when writing the thing

this girl is a serious cutie though

All I see is a poseur.

youtu.be/hSSqXCu4ZqA

Not every thing is pussy, cuck.

Literally Bethesda studio. This angers the normie.

The sort of girls in those hobbies are easy to fuck, just not the sort you should trust or build a family with. Hence why guys in those communities often see all woman as roasties

>Hence why guys in those communities often see all woman as roasties
I see them as kinda annoying at worst. They do ruin the place, honestly most men in the past had guy only clubs.
Then again, most men in the past were married.

I think terrorism no longer breaches through the hyperreal. There has been so many terrorist attacks and school shootings in recent years back-to-back that we've became desensitized to it that we now accept their occurrence as part of our reality.

Maybe. T B H, I'm not sure quite sure what I'm bitter about anymore; not having a geeky gf, not having a geeky friend group, an empty adolescence, that geek subculture is now completely commercialised (it always was to an extent but it's so much worse now) or the fact that I've become so cynical that everything seems fake to me.

Attached: 1537235674675.jpg (983x1024, 167K)

best books on 2000s to early 2010s subcultures?

Because they were all implicitly white and that's now taboo

This but unironically

Posting

? of course terrorism is commodified. they become situationist media pieces that the news further dramatizes for profit

the terrorists themselves know this. its why ISIS filmed themselves cutting people's heads off and put it on the internet

No one wants to be the same. Everything is marketed as alternative and different since that’s how we all wish to view ourselves.

What happens when the monoculture has swallowed everything?

Xd im so le qoirky

ITT: Morons who have no fucking clue as to what they're talking about.
You want to know about subcultures, OP? Lurk them. You'll likely have to rely on archives often, thanks to all these niche groups becoming popular in the last decade. Look for elitist groups like 8fag's Yea Forums.

>any person with self respect would make an effort for physical exercise to look attractive
>with self respect
>to look attractive
I will not concede my body autonomy to appease strangers my dude.

But now every subculture is either being absorbed by SJW culture, obnoxious twitter normie culture or alt-right culture. I miss walking round the mall and seeing cute goth chicks, then walking out and seeing emo/punk skaters using the rails to peform their shitty skateboard tricks. Now all I see when I go out are fat chicks with unnaturally dyed hair, hypebeast fuckboys, bugmen, black thugs, muslims and normies.

Attached: amber-a-lee-frost.png (850x870, 409K)

Back in the days people lived by tradition and identified by their ancestral cultures. Sons inherited the professions of their fathers, etc. Then came the Industrial Revolution, which began the exponential death of tradition -- by the end of WW2 tradition is pretty much dead in the West. Subcultures are merely a surrogate identity, inauthentic by definition. Being the fragile things they are, their deaths should not be surprising.

Attached: anti-tech revolution.jpg (4800x7200, 3.76M)

>Xd im so le qoirky
>Now all I see when I go out are fat chicks with unnaturally dyed hair, hypebeast fuckboys, bugmen, black thugs, muslims and normies.

I really wouldn't be surprised to find out if you're both zoomers. The lack of self-awareness these days is astounding.

>anti-tech

I think if went back to 56k modems, it'll be enough.

is Yea Forums not a subculture?

Take every Yea Forums pass that's been used in the past year, create random groups of size 250 each, and give each group its own hidden specific board.

I blame non anonymous social media and the push to attaching a real name to everything.
I have many interests in many things but I don't act like I'm part of a community or group merely because of an interest. I wouldn't call myself a fan of comic books just because I've read a few, nor a fan of sports because I've participated in them. There has to be a certain level of "gatekeeping" to every hobby or interest or anything, but nowadays that barrier has been broken down so much that people who've never read a comic book call themselves fans of them despite only watching movies.
Every piece of media is becoming so homogenized so that every person can enjoy them without knowing anything about the culture surrounding it. It happened with video games and programming where people merely partake due to a social and monetary investment rather than a genuine interest.
If this thread is still up in a few hours I'll write a bit more about my thoughts because I feel passionate about this kind of all purpose "anti-negativity be nice to each other" meme that's spreading.

It's just infantile pub talk which is in line with the crowd he panders to; like a bloke sitting for a pint before a football game and lamenting how there used to be some parity in the league before sandniggers used their excess capital to buy clubs, horses and cunts.

Of course Pegg is a good boy and he would never say anything of the sort but you get the gist; his business persona channels similar stuff outward in order to look savvy yet relatable.

> imagine basing your identity around a dumbed-down and sterilized version of a story about the country you happened to have been born into
> imagine basing your identity around the colour of your skin and whatever dumbed-down and reductionist story you attach to other people with a similar colour of skin as yours
> imagine basing your identity on your version of the "magical man in the sky" nonsense

Dude imagine having an identity

Only total pseudery can appease Vengeful Capital.

Attached: GABIDULL IZ ZENDIEND.jpg (171x266, 17K)

Bumping for your post.

Subcultures do not form out of elitism and gatekeeping, but they stay alive because of elitism and gatekeeping.

He's not wrong. "Nerd culture" is just a corporate construction.

If you remove the alleged butthurt, though, nothing changes.

This but unironically
As soon as women get involved you invite secondary men who's only interest in the subculture is as a mechanism to get to the women involved, which pushes it further to the mainstream until it's just people wearing funny costumes and performing empty rituals as a mating dance

>but they stay alive because of elitism and gatekeeping.
Even that couldn't protect it once they were able to figure out how strip it down to it's profitable parts.

Money seems to ruin everything.

>Why the fuck do people ruin themselves with tattoos?

They believe they are already ruined before they get the tattoo.

>still doing muh authenticity in 2019
god what the fuck
how do we stop yuppie crotch-spawn, gamers?

No, it's cos they want to be cool/unique.

>No, it's cos they want to be cool/unique.

Because they have low self esteem.

How can the cool kids have low-esteem?

quick bump so I can write my post.

“Gate keeping” is one of those words where it has an inherently negative connotation primarily given by those who are against it. It’s usage is selective and hypocritical. People will claim that gate keeping is this awful thing that keeps people down and that it’s unfair and blah, blah, blah. I find that gate keeping is a necessary part of society, especially in the age of the internet where any fleeting interest can be delved into at a moment’s notice.
Comic books, I find, are a great example to use especially in today’s world where Marvel movies are some of the highest grossing films of all time. People obviously love these movies, or at least like them enough to cough up the cash to go see it in a theater. People will watch them and then immediately start praising them without knowing anything about the source material. They expect to be included into the subculture of comic books because of their three hour long indulgence of the media. They’ve never read a comic book in their life, but they expect to be included into the comic book club. I feel that there’s an instinctive want to be part of these previously demonized groups because it used to be a unique trait. Video games and comic books and computers and programming and whatever used to be for nerds, now the nerds have their friends and unique hobbies and outsiders want to be unique just like them! Those things went from “this is cool and I don’t care what anyone thinks” to “This is cool because it’s unique.”
We praise individuality so much in society with no proper justification. Just like we praise progressiveness for the sake of progressiveness. Being a “progressive” has been commonly seen as a good thing just like we praise individuality. Ironically, in the pursuit of individuality the things that made people unique are now common traits. Everyone plays video games, everyone reads, everyone likes music and everyone likes movies. Now that those barriers are broken down, there, again, is felt a need to break in further.
It used to be, with video games at least, that everyone played the normalfag stuff, Call of Duty, Fifa, etc., and didn’t really care about the medium outside of that narrow spectrum. There was a sense of respect that some things just weren’t for them and they either laughed at it or ignored it. Now I see a trend of everyone demanding that everything appeals to them. I look at the Sekiro controversy and only see people who don’t like the game demanding they change it to their liking. I don’t get it. There are plenty of other games that are up their alley yet they are focusing on this one thing because there’s a group they’re not being included in.
(cont)

(cont)
That’s all it is. These kids grew up in a time where cliques stopped being a thing. Everyone was friends with everyone. They see these pieces of media that are a threat to their social status. The feeling of not being a part of something. They want that old feeling of everyone being friends yet they can’t achieve that without destroying down what made those groups unique. They NEED to be a part of everything. They want their dick in every pot when it’s just not possible without having to touch dicks with everyone else in that pot. They want a bigger pot, so much so that its big enough for everyone so as to not have to touch dicks with people in that same pot they don’t like.
Or in other words, this picture.

Attached: QnATaIo.jpg (2404x1260, 827K)

There will always be different cultures. Who knows? Maybe Butterfly did buy a collar.

If she did it’s because she is immensely turned on by the same things I am because we share culture. Honestly that is the benefit of being in a place for a long period of time. It’s kind of sad, I’ve talked to many men and women and they’ve both been anonymous. I still think about how that one anonymous girl was basically flirting with me.

So many missed opportunities on here of all places just because people want to default to a non-entry position on the interface of this site. Like the solution is right under your nose. Right now at this moment tens of men and women are reading this post and they want to connect to someone else desperately, but out of sheer fear they decide not to.

That’s what separates her from all of you. After reading this she will cry and tell herself she loves me and go to bed. :3

Attached: 2D72BA0A-05FF-4498-ADF3-640F42A782C5.png (750x1334, 222K)

Communism is extremely unatural, humanity has allways lived under religion.
Nowadays people are less religious, have less traditions, everything is becoming grey and bland, everyone good consumers for the next avengers superhero movie for adults(tm)

/diy/ agrarianism is the patrician core culture

>That trashy Guts tattoo on her arm
Any tattoo related to the Bible or Berserk is alright in my book.

But communism is a religion

there will be some tragic murder/suicide of MAP/NOMAP people (pedophiles) and the next rung on the ladder after current democrat congress will welcome them

Alt-right meme culture is going pretty strong. As bad as subcultures go the values it promotes (fertility, physical fitness, pride, honour, self-discipline) could be a lot worse.

Attached: Youth copy.webm (1282x404, 1.02M)

What in the fuck is this post?

>Not any happier though.
I disagree. Not a fedora lone wolf or anything, I just do my thing. It does help that 99% of fandoms today are overrun with politically correct limpdicks who bring up politics and Drumpf into everything. Even when politics aren't involved if you go against the hivemind you're forever shunned for not sucking the nuts of the corporate overlord. Like fuck that noise why should I give a shit about fitting in with these people?

Subcultures as such aren't dead, their form today is internet political tribalism which adopts the usage of memes as its primary form of communication and in-group recognition.

Shhh He's doing God's work.
He's making the retarded butterfly flee the board,

Eh, I think you're underestimating the power of today's tech (and profiteering). A lot of the geek things required time and enthusiasm and money (not having a lot of money wouldn't exclude you but you'd be spending what little money you have on geek shit rather than what you "should" be spending it on) for learning/collecting all the useless bits of trivia and paraphernalia; physically buying the comics to read, tracking down rare vhs copies of shows, using forums to find people in the fandom etc.

Smartphones, apps, social media, youtube/streaming and wikis have made all of these things trivial to do. You can read comics on your mobile, you can find all the relevant trivia on wikias, you can do retro gaming on your phone, I mean, once that hurdle was leaped, it was over. You can point to that picture but there was always a level of passive gatekeeping through the things I mentioned.

I don't think I was underestimating it I just felt it was a given. My frustration primarily comes from people don't have the respect to properly indulge in whatever they're claiming to be a fan of.
>I'm a fan of comic books!
>have you read any?
>N-no, but I've seen the movies!
Even with all the barriers broken in regards to acquisition and explanation people still can't be fucked to consume the actual material they fanboy/girl over.

Attached: 1555590114661.png (998x617, 1.35M)

Obviously you aren’t paying close enough attention.

She is reciprocating :3

>Alt-right meme culture is going pretty strong. As bad as subcultures go the values it promotes (fertility, physical fitness, pride, honour, self-discipline) could be a lot worse.

At what point did losers/anons/nerds started think they're the ubermensch and not the underdogs? Don't all these neo-nazi LARPer's realise that they'd be at the bottom of the totem of pole if their ethnostate dream came into fruition?

>In an ethnostate these larpers would be at the bottom of the totem pole

Well, you seem quite angry at these larpers, so I don't know if you're amenable to reason. I think an ethnostate would value people based on family connections and their economic worth just like any other modern society. Japan is in practice an ethnostate, Singapore is bound to be one by law, and that is how they function, although Japanese, Chinese, and Singaporean society is distinct from Western society. Mexico is legally bound to be an ethnostate and besides being generally shitty does not seem to have the social problems you have in mind.

Our countries were also ethnostates in the past and they were much the same as they are now, minus anti-white discrimination, the destruction of European heritage (for example Latinos will name their country after Columbus but will tear down monuments to Columbus in USA because it's a symbol of white history in US context), the numerous problems of trying to incorporate 3rd world populations into a 1st world economy, etc.

Also, let's take what you say to be true. I'd rather be unpopular in a white society than unpopular and persecuted in a non-white society.

You know what's still authentic in this cold and empty world. That's right. An ice cold bottle of Coca-Cola®. It's the real thing.

Attached: 1990-Can-t-Beat-the-Real-Thing.jpg (1920x914, 398K)

That's not even cola, just a gel. Real cola looks like dogshit.

this happened to my scout troop with the moms.
also happened to my fraternity as well.

>Even with all the barriers broken in regards to acquisition and explanation people still can't be fucked to consume the actual material they fanboy/girl over.

desu senpai(alam), I find this happens with boomers my age who found a sudden "interest" in geek things once it became cool. The zoomers seem to know their shit and are genuinely into it.

Consumerist subcultures are homogenizing but career and craft subcultures are going strong. You're looking in the wrong places. There is a cattleman subculture and a beekeeping subculture, parenting subcultures and birdwatching subcultures. They stay strong because they are still more difficult to enter, you can't just be a fan of something you can find online.

What is monocultures end game?

Why is it I can travel between 3 cities and visit the exact same (not in name, only in design) coffee shop in each one? Why can I go to the same exact bar? Chain restaurants exploded in the 90s because people liked the comfort of knowing what to expect. A baseline safe quality that would keep them happy. Is this just an evolution of that? The faux-rustic aesthetic that’s taken over every cafe, bar, and hotel? Its more than design trends because they all seem to be bleeding into each other and spreading like wildfire. I just don’t know where it stops.

>Don't all these neo-nazi LARPer's realise that they'd be at the bottom of the totem of pole if their ethnostate dream came into fruition?
the same can be said for the nucommies

>What is monocultures end game?
I don't know, what's the grey goo's endgame?

Sometimes I think capitalism, consumerism or whatever you want to call it has self-organized in a way that's almost independent of it's users. "Infinite growth at all costs".

It's like when you see giant ant mills that have formed cos some ant went in a different direction and all the other ants followed it to their eventual deaths.

Attached: Ant Death Spiral.gif (236x280, 880K)

It's politics now. American pop identity politics to be more precise. It's swallowed everything up.

You sound like a tourist, so it's a good thing for the authentic communities that you don't know where it stops. Big cities around the world are all starting to look the same but you can still have more unique cultural experiences in well maintained rural areas and smaller cities. as soon as a nice rural place gets wide exposure it gets gentrified and overpriced for the locals who made it good. The endgame of monoculture is profit. Tourists are most comfortable with familiar homogeneous experiences with a bit of local novelty. I don't think it's even anyone's conscious design, it's just a consequence of procedurally appying capitalist logic and turning geography into an easily digestible commodity.

Yeah, but what's the final outcome of this?

A world in which Londonfrog CAN NOT escape THE BINGE.

Once we start colonizing different planets the cycle will repeat again

** this applies to hard-core posters (insert butterfly-poster here)

Yea Forums posters are cringe. Not people who casually browse but “hardcore fans” that follow Yea Forums news, call themselves “anons” and argue on the internet what is the best religion and “metaphysical duality is my bias”.

Since they lead boring and insignificant lives, they use literature as an outlet to feel important: “debates”, infographic threads, excessive obsession with their unsubstantiated ideas.

Your hardcore Yea Forums fan is like a Japanese dweeb: poor hygiene, physically unattractive, mild mental illness (in fact, many Yea Forums fans were former Japanese dweebs)