Are there any Yea Forums approved fantasy novels?

Are there any Yea Forums approved fantasy novels?

Attached: downloadfile-6.jpg (480x480, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgoat.com/uploads/0935e4cd59/105363.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/def184ad8f/124507.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/b44928ae11/114401.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php
youtube.com/watch?v=oiOt6eW0pZI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (first series)
>The First Law
>The Darkness that Comes Before (if you have a strong stomach)
>LOTR/Silmarillion
>Malazan Book of the Fallen
That's all I can think of right now

I've never seen anyone badmouth Robert Howard.

Attached: 976.jpg (424x648, 117K)

thoughts?

Attached: original_400_600.jpg (396x600, 46K)

The Book of the New Sun.

Attached: 1555456312024.jpg (740x416, 49K)

seconded

the bible

I really love Mark Lawrence

Attached: 24585536._SX540_.jpg (540x273, 40K)

I don't know what layer of irony you are on, or if you even will ever look for a response, but for what purpose was this post made? I don't know why I want to know so bad, what drives the curiousity, but I want to what you hoped to accomplish with this post. Not trying to be an asshole, if it seemed like I was, 100% serious question.

Anything by Tolkien. Everything else is tryhard and bad.

I like fantasy very much. They call me pleb but what can I do? I didn't choose that like I'm a videogame character you can pick attributes and skills and talents. I just want some dragons flying around that's all you fags :(

Yea Forums loves asoiaf but is torn between hating it because its popular and praising it because the show is even normier

everyone says how great it is. I read it and its boring AF and the writing style, pffff

>>contrarían for the same of it
Next You will say that Titus Groan is good.

Second Apolcaypse (in a phenomenological sense)

I’ve seen Le Guin get some friendly notice on lit, which is nice

bakker, malazan

>someone whose criticism of BotNS is 'boring' will like Gormenghast
wut

Someone who is contrarian will say they liked that ridiculous meme of a book, Yes.

Gentleman bastards series

Just don't go waiting for book 4 any time soon.

No, user, you are the contrarian. Gormenghast is not only good, it's generally agreed to be good

No It's not on both accounts.
It's idolized by assholes with a political agenda (Moor-cock), literary pseuds and people who hate Fantasy.
Nobody who is actually into the stuff likes it.

Interesting. So which writers/critics criticise it? I've never seen any

Brandon Sanderson

This and Tolkien are the only ones I would genuinely call 'Yea Forums approved', i.e. that a significant number of people would seriously defend and not be met with an equally significant number of naysayers

Maybe there are others in the sf/fantasy ghetto general thread, but they'd be thread-approved not board-approved

Speak for yourself because I think the series is garbage because it relies on the same storytelling devices and cliches that Martin himself criticizes. People criticize the show for constantly having fakeout deaths but they haven't read the books. If they did they might think that was the only way Martin knows how to create drama.

its a work of fiction, but its necessary to read if you want to understand western lit. it also has some great translations with interesting prose.

I really like it, GRRM said multiple times that he's not as good as Tolkien. Why don't we just take it for what it is without comparing it to Tolkien's ?

>Nobody ever mentions Pratchett
yes, I know he's technically YA but still

Attached: 1473804241182.png (352x345, 100K)

>dude subverted tropes and feminism lmao
no

Are you the same guy who was shitting on Peake in the other thread?

Artemis Fowl

What's so good about Malazan?

Gormenghast is great and Mervyn Peake is a genius, you semi literate pleb.

Attached: 0106.jpg (700x939, 205K)

Attached: Steerpike-06.jpg (700x903, 137K)

Attached: 43.jpg (340x527, 60K)

Attached: 0500.jpg (700x1017, 208K)

>technically YA
Not really

That's a big chef

Conan

Gravity's Rainbow

Attached: IMG_1162.jpg (333x499, 51K)

Haven't read it but, what makes it head and shoulders above other fantasy?

I'm trying to write a fantasy series. Any advice anons?

Attached: 1556427821097.jpg (1280x591, 124K)

How much of these have you read?

Fantasy:
imgoat.com/uploads/0935e4cd59/105363.jpg (embed)
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg (embed)
Flowchart:
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg (embed)

Science Fiction:
imgoat.com/uploads/def184ad8f/124507.jpg (embed)
imgoat.com/uploads/b44928ae11/114401.jpg (embed)
General:
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg (embed)
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg (embed)

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg (embed)

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Not too many, most of the stuff I've read has been from either American canon (Salinger is a favorite), or classics (Dostoevsky, Camus, Hesse). I like fantasy as it provides you radical freedom to write what you want to write about. However the fantastical elements in my story are fairly limited. Anyway, thank you very much for this great resource user. I will begin reading these books. Do you have a favorite or a recommended starting point?

Attached: vol8ch9sword2 (1).jpg (400x1065, 150K)

>Do you have a favorite or a recommended starting point?
Favorite? Hyperion because it's like a sci-fi Canterbury tales.
I'm still working through the list myself, so I couldn't say what a good starting point would be. Berserk is top-tier stuff though

I'll be sure to check that out too. I heard The Darkness That Comes Before is quite good, I'm going to read that soon too. Berserk helped reignite my interest in fantasy. I really like character driven stories. I'm glad you like it too. Thanks again for your help user, I feel better now that I have some plan for how to tackle the genre

Attached: 1556134649956.jpg (1311x1857, 630K)

Man that last episode was so fucking bad I feel like reading the books.

how does Yea Forums feel about the Wheel of Time series? I'm about 20% into the second book, and I'm enamored with the characters, the world, and the way Robert Jordan writes.

Attached: wot.jpg (329x499, 32K)

Wizard of Earthsea was good, short and sweet.
I think Hobbit/LOTR was more historically important, seminal and inspirational than it was a great set of novels.

Reading The Name of the Wind now as I keep seeing it in "best of" fantasy lists. It's riddled with cliche's and eye rolls but keeps your attention.

Beginning to wonder if there's ever even been something one could consider truly great in the fantasy genre.

Your post seems quite defensive; meditate on the fact that for many people the bible being fantasy is not even the slightest shred ironic, simply based on the definition of the word fantasy. Would you consider the Quran fantasy? The Greek or Roman or Aztec gods? I could keep going for a long time. Your beliefs stem from indoctrination, geography, culture and era. Not to turn this into yet another religious debate.

have sex

>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php
Don't make up obnoxious names.

It's the standard Yea Forumspasta links

Not arguing that Moorcock is an asshole with a political agenda, but how do you see any of his agenda reflected in or boosted by Gormenghast?

Mervyn Peake, John Crowley and Lord Dunsany comes to mind. There's actually a ton of fantasy novels that could be mentioned, the hate on the genre are usually because of all the Tolkien wannabes by people who don't really consume a lot of it.

Personally I think Le Guin is better with scifi than fantasy.

What a load of bull.

Limited in what sense? You might want to give Gormenghast and Little, Big a try. Also Borges and Calvino. I don't think there's any definitive starting point. You just got to find what you're interested in.

This is my favorite fantasy novel, only book i regularly return to, just about to finish the pastel city again

>Classics
>Dostoevsky, Camus, Hesse

What the fuck did he meant with 'Chevrolet cerise'?

Crime and Punishment.

The prose is convoluted so it boasts the ego of people on lit.

The vocabulary being obscure =/= convoluted prose

Too bad Chronicles of Thomas Covenant will never get a series, 90% of the population cant deal with a morally ambiguous main character.

>Anything by Tolkien. Everything else is tryhard and bad.

Tolkien is brilliant at lorebuilding but an incredibly mediocre writer.

No, none of those books is in the fantasy genre.

I thought about reading this, how is it?

Holy shit i dont know hahahah, i was literally staring at that page for like 10 minutes trying to figure that out

lmao same. I'm reading The Pastel City right now, it's amazing but passages like that makes me go "what the fuck, harrison". I also find funny his constant use of very british words when describing the scenery.

No.

Go older than Tolkien to escape all of the pathetic imitators.
Phantastes
King of Elfland's Daughter
Worm Ouroboros
Till We have Faces, if that counts. More mythological than fantastic
Tolkien obviously counts
LeGuin's Earthsea is wonderful.
I wouldn't call BOTNS fantasy per se, but Wizard Knight is great.

>King of Elfland's Daughter
Honestly, this is Dunsany's worst work. user should start his journey into Dunsany with the Book of Wonder.

Your general idea is unassailable, though.

That's fair, was just recommending the only work of his I'd read. Good to know I can look forward to the rest.

This was recommended by someone else as well. I'll give it a shot.
Is LOTR overwhelming, for a first timer to fantasy?

Very good. The second part is different, but also worthwhile.

Also read his Gap series.

I wouldn't say it's bad or his worst, but Dunsany really does shine with his short stories rather than his longer works. I think the main problem is that his prose is better if consumed in tiny bits. Reading through KoED was kinda tiring.

No, LOTR is even read by kids. You might not be able to assimilate everything but it's a pretty straight forward read.

>Is LOTR overwhelming, for a first timer to fantasy?
There's only one way to find out. You should read the Hobbit first though and that's definitely easy reading.

When it comes to the Name of the Wind you don't even know the worst of it. It gets so much worse in the second book.

>Is LOTR overwhelming, for a first timer to fantasy?
From a writing stand point, no. It is pretty straightforward. But the lore that makes the setting can be a bit difficult to grasp.
So yeah, just read it and have a blast.
Anything from Tolkien is a must read.

How the Hell did you get through the first book?

It was ever worse than Game of Thrones.

Eye of the World feels like a bad LotR re-write by a small child.

>Lord Dunsany
This.

Attached: 81dC+dilZrL.jpg (1512x2322, 388K)

The eternal champion series by Michael Moorcock

THATS MY FETISH

HEY ANY OF YOU CUNTS KNOW THAT FANTASY BOOK WHERE ONE CHARACTER IS A SMITH AND HAS TO TRAVEL NORTH OVER A GLACIER TO SOME MYTHICAL 'place to learn more about smithing' AND HE HAS TO LEARN TO SING TO THE METAL AND THEN HSA TO RETURN BACK OVER THE GLACIER WHEN HE"S DONE LEARNING?

its part of a larger series . . .

I second The Darkness that Comes Before. (the series is called Second Apocalypse. )

carefully not submerge yourself into a sub-genre, only ten percent of it is worth reading.

Do I gotta remind a Yea Forumsard of Sturgeon's Law?

based schizo poster

yeah, well - the book is real at least

Anvil of Ice by Michael Scott Rohan?

OH SHIT I think that's it . . . ..

THANK YOU user

I knew this thread could do it!

Attached: rorhan_.jpg (350x499, 27K)

When I was a kid, along with the Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter, I'd say novels such as The Last Dragon, The Revenge of the Shadow King, and the Dark is Rising.

Right now, LOTR and the Hobbit of course. I also read the first few of "The Last Apprentice" or the "Wardstone Chronicles" if you're British and Cirque Du Freak/Darren Shaw Saga.

Attached: The Last Apprentice.jpg (306x400, 33K)

based and fowlpilled

I would say those are all books for very young children. Unless im just being retarded.

Hey Yea Forums are there any fantasy works whose atmosphere reminds you of Dark Souls? Something like berserk maybe.

Thank you, the Hobbit seemed pretty boring the first time I tried it. Can I read LOTR first?

Jack Vance obviously.

youtube.com/watch?v=oiOt6eW0pZI

The Belgariad

Lord Dunsany
Clark Ashton Smith
Solomon Kane
The Night Land
Elric of Melnibone
The Kane Chronicles by Karl Wagner

>The Night Land
such a cool setting.
shame the prose is so fucking unreadable

Is the first law series any good? I read the back cover and it made my eyes glaze over

Elric of Melnibone
Besides the characters the prose and syntax is a type of elegance only seen from Moorcock.

no

i like gene wolfe's non-botns fantasy stuff (the soldier series and the wizard knight)

the prose and syntax of those books are barebone and boring, I had to so stop at book 3 because if I read another description of a female character (that elric would later inevitably fuck) described only by the color of her fucking eyes and hair I would have strangled a small of animal to soothe my anger.

It's idolized by people that have good taste.

Not heard of that one. Author?

>but an incredibly mediocre writer.
Holy fucking christ, user. Tolkien's "lore" is good BECAUSE he is an excellent writer, his prose is incredibly solid and he's exceedingly deliberate in his choice of words.

is he though?

Seconded.
Also Moorcock's literary fiction and Jerry Cornelius books are really underlooked on lit.

Attached: 69_6newwrlds250.jpg (250x353, 121K)

The black company - the series which inspire malazan. The first triology is amazing, and the rest of the series gets kinda wonky but ultimately worth a read
The powder mage series
The shadow campaigns
The traitor son cycle. This one is great since the writer usually write historical fiction and is a reenactor so his very autistic with the descriptions of armor and battle tactics. The first book is fantastic, realistic desperate siege between monsters vs a single fortress. It’s got a very unique take on magic system. Definitely worth a read.

my diary desu

Black company and malazan are pretty Tolkien free

He wanted your reaction

Attached: 1557268510962.jpg (229x343, 40K)

> genre fiction

Attached: Honoka_Kotori_smug.jpg (1280x743, 141K)

The Acts of Caine by Matthew Stover. Best damn series you've never heard of. It will make your testicles grow testicles.

Solomon Kane is just classic.

#firstpersontrash

what the fuck is with the transition between book 1 and 2? it doens't make any sense.

no

my doujinshi desu

Techniques of the Selling Writer. Dwight V Swain.

Only 90% of them.

i found the first book great at first, then it descended into typical fantasy tropes of mcguffins and destiny and deus ex machina things. are the rest of the books like this, or more like the worldbuilding of the citadel/swamp chapters? debating whether i should read book 2 or infinite jest/don quixote

As is anything Howard. Stay away from the partial books completed by others.

The rest of them are worse.

Go somewhere else, and suck a sack of shit.

Yea, the ones I'm going to write.

key-key-key-key-key-key-key

Jerry is fucking based and definitely redpilled

you think to highly of yourself cuck.

kill yourself

Kingkiller Chronicle (a trilogy, but the last part isn't out yet) by Patrick Rothfuss.

What does Yea Forums think about "The Chronicles of Amber" by Zelazny and Harry Harrison's "The Stainless Steel Rat"?

Those books are trash

That series turns into a painful crawl in the third book.
Anyhting by Jack Vance.

Read the first book and don't understand how anyone could like this. His characters have zero depth to them and his prose is garbage.

>That series turns into a painful crawl in the third chapter.
FTFY

Damn, this whole GoT thing has bust Yea Forums's containment thread system wide open